Hamilton FirstOntario Centre Renovations | ?m | 4s | OVG | BBB

There has been really very little news surrounding the whole project recently.

With the way that most of downtown Hamilton has been rapidly becoming a vagrant/druggie wasteland recently, it almost feels like the closure/move of that shelter would not make a meaningful difference.

There has been really very little news surrounding the whole project recently.

With the way that most of downtown Hamilton has been rapidly becoming a vagrant/druggie wasteland recently, it almost feels like the closure/move of that shelter would not make a meaningful difference.
Do you not remember the downtown in the 90s? THAT was a vagrant/druggie wasteland...

it ain't "recently" - it's been that way for decades. It's actually much better than it used to be. King william was a sketchy stretch when I was growing up - half the places boarded up or painted over..

Do you not remember the downtown in the 90s? THAT was a vagrant/druggie wasteland...

it ain't "recently" - it's been that way for decades. It's actually much better than it used to be. King william was a sketchy stretch when I was growing up - half the places boarded up or painted over..
hmm it has definitely gotten worse recently, like in the past two years or so. Police and by-law are basically non-existent in the core. It's quite sad to watch.

I can't speak to the 90s, but downtown Hamilton certainly looks like it has noticeably slid backwards over the past few years. Regardless, it is in a really really bad state today.

I can't speak to the 90s, but downtown Hamilton certainly looks like it has noticeably slid backwards over the past few years. Regardless, it is in a really really bad state today.
If that is the case it hasn’t affected development as thousands of people are moving in! Lol

Name a major or mid sized North American city that does not have the same issues. The only difference in Hamilton from the 1980s (the beginning of the decline) and the mid 2010s (the beginning of the revival) is the size of the population with the added fuel of the opioid crisis (again not limited to Hamilton).

Hamilton is definitely worse off than other similar sized cities. I frequent KW and London. And although yes there is a vagrant problem in both, it's nothing compared to Hamilton unfortunately. We need to be tough on this issue. Some cities are moving in that direction, like Cold Lake's new vagrancy by-law. We need that here.

Is there any news about what will be happening with the other elements of this complex such as the theatre, gallery and convention centre?

If that is the case it hasn’t affected development as thousands of people are moving in! Lol
Not much to laugh about out loud there There aren't thousands coming in. And having known the area for the last 11 years, maybe the buildings having gone up cleaned up the very portion of the cityscape they now occupy, but that is a drop in the bucket. On the other front, I can say that many blocks of Hamilton's central area have degenerated to the level of an open toilet. It is worse. As it was said a few posts back I too can attest - as many times as I've called by-law and the encampment unit, to report illcit and destructiver activities, I get no response because they are too busy elsewhere. It is naive to believe things will get better in any meaningful way.

Yes the encampments have definitely made things worse I can agree on that front - I felt like I woke up one day and they were suddenly everywhere, where we NEVER had that issue pre-pandemic that I can recall..

perhaps we should stop shoveling people into our city under the guise of it being a sanctuary city promising them the world and then having nowhere for them to stay.. or the new law where the people who import here don't have to pay property interest? I literally juts heard about this yesterday so I am not too too specific on those details.. So they can just buy up places then rent them to people they want to rent to? I heard someone was trying to get a rental for him and his partner and they wanted a background check and they stated they didn't make enough for them to rent to them, even though they could cover the rent.. (that and sometimes people of certain ethnicities buy them up and will only rent to people of the same ethnicity, I've heard of that being a problem too..)

also we are definitely going to have a utilities issue at some point as its already crumbling and we're piling up condos everywhere which is going to tax that existing system. Hamilton is just OLD. It's old and its crumbling and yes getting people to live here is important, and low income housing, but one also has to understand the issue of vagrancy and the fact some people will always just be.. destructive, and whether that's just bad apples or drug addled brains we need more funds allocated to more security forces to deal with it, and places to put these people, either to detain them or reeducate or rehabilitate it. It might be migrants who come from different walks of life and bring their violence here - it might be people pissed off at the rising prices of gentrification and are acting out, or it might just be the crackheads or gangs that have developed.

There is going to be a transition period where the destructiveness and homeless clashes with the new higher class of people living in these areas. It might scare tenants and businesses away and then we may just be left with spotty or vacant new developments. The big thing is moving all the services somewhere that ISN'T right in the core, and healing the original intention of the core. One only has to look at the 40s and 50s to see what downtown used to be like - high quality stores, department stores, people with manners and respect, a more ma and pa stop type atmosphere. Naturally our world has changed now and we have to understand how our city can evolve to meet our new modern needs. We no longer frequent ma and pa shop - a lot has moved online, manners and basic communication skills at times have eroded away, everyone has turned narcissistic and localized, and the concept of status no longer exists that existed in the 40s and 50s.

Sooo what will we become?

Last edited:
Not much to laugh about out loud there There aren't thousands coming in. And having known the area for the last 11 years, maybe the buildings having gone up cleaned up the very portion of the cityscape they now occupy, but that is a drop in the bucket. On the other front, I can say that many blocks of Hamilton's central area have degenerated to the level of an open toilet. It is worse. As it was said a few posts back I too can attest - as many times as I've called by-law and the encampment unit, to report illcit and destructiver activities, I get no response because they are too busy elsewhere. It is naive to believe things will get better in any meaningful way.
Perhaps its time for vigilantes lol.. we need darkwing duck :p

also maybe you just need to "categorize it" differently - like I dunno that bum has a gun or something don't quote me on that lol just throwing an idea out - perhaps people simply need to adjust how they report things so that they come full force, see oh it's just.. this.. but still do something about it lol.. anonymous tips..

All of this is ‘fascinating’ but not really relevant. UT is not SSP.
perhaps things are what people want them to be, not what others think they should be lol.. people are allowed to discuss, it's a.. discussion forum lol..

and there's nothing wrong with throwing some lighthearted humour out every now and then. Helps lighten what's otherwise a rather dark and bleak mood.

Hamilton is definitely worse off than other similar sized cities. I frequent KW and London. And although yes there is a vagrant problem in both, it's nothing compared to Hamilton unfortunately. We need to be tough on this issue. Some cities are moving in that direction, like Cold Lake's new vagrancy by-law. We need that here.
Heavily taxing the well to do folks and corporations and shifting the proceeds over to adequate housing would be a good start on that getting tough on this issue. So be careful what you wish for...

Back