Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

FCP looks snow white again ^^^
sadly, i don't think FCP will ever be the king (in terms of sexiness) of the CBD ever. despite this great refresh, I still find that Scotia Plaza is more visually easy on the eyes (if that makes any sense). dare i say, this re-clad can look a bit "cheap" or "plastic" if you know what i mean. i'm not saying it's bad (it looks WAY better than it did before). but not the same class as Scotia Plaza.

Another two floors completed as of today. That's just a little under two weeks per floor, pretty impressive given the weather in the past month.

They haven't updated their little display in the FCP lobby. Still says they're on the 61st floor. Was just wondering about whether things had picked up again...

what's gonna be cool is seeing trump and the re-clad meet halfway. one goin up, the other going down.
great view as always!

I'm positive I've seen the Trump crane move up but when I compared pictures above before I posted them today I noticed that Trump has barely moved at all in the past month (seen behind BA on the left).

FCP looks snow white again

I don't know about that... Even in the best light (this photo) it still seems to have a green undertone. And weren't the corners to be a dark copper? Just looks black to me. Still, it's decidedly better than what's below...

Wow!... some people have a way of crapping on just about anything. Go take a Prozac and realize that FCP looks fkn great!

I'm in full agreement with steveve.

Everyone knows this rendering, right?

FCPRendering750.jpg

Well, we have several more views to go with it now, inside and out, with eye for the details.

FCPExteriorRendering750.jpg

So, above, a bit closer up of course, with more detail in the corners than we have seen. The detail in real life has been hard enough to capture of course: these copper coloured panels appear black, or the next thing to it, in most shots on Urban Toronto. Below, up close and personal with the triangular frit pattern in the new glass cladding.

FCPFritRendering750.jpg

And now, a look at the podium, and the answer to many questions here concerning just how much marble will remain on the exterior.

FCPPodiumRendering750.jpg

Inside we get three views of the area around the elevator lobbies, on two levels.

FCPLobbyRendering750.jpg

FCPFountainRendering750.jpg

FCPBalconyRendering750.jpg

Finally, a view of the Marketplace area, which is pretty much complete now, and really does look like the rendering.

FCPMarketplaceRendering750.jpg

All images courtesy of Bregman + Hamann Architects

Great renderings! This is going to really freshen up the corner of King + Bay.

As for Steve's worry that the cladding is boring, I think we'll all be surprised once it gets about half way to 2/3rds down. It is glass so it'll have a reflection unlike the marble. Being the tallest building in the CBD, nothing reflects against it yet. That'll change once the glass gets at the level of other buildings surrounding it.

Wow!... some people have a way of crapping on just about anything. Go take a Prozac and realize that FCP looks fkn great!

I wasn't crapping on it at all. It looks really good, it's just not the "snow white" and "copper" as advertised.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear the pace is picking up again here... warmer weather as we move into spring should make work easier and they should have no problem keeping up with the 2 floors / 2 weeks pace if not exceed it. While the change in materials was never my preference there is no denying the vast improvement for FCP and the skyline as a whole.

I was skeptical of how the 'copper' would look, thinking that it would likely appear like a dark brown which would have been odd against the white. Black was probably the better option in my opinion.

I love the concept, the copper corners help to accentuate FCP's verticality however I'm not at all pleased with the new white. It looks like it is simply joining in with the sea of green going up around it. I give it a 7.5 out of10.

guys, its not meant to be copper, but bronze. they are different colours. Also, just because the corners look black in photos does not mean they have decided to use something different than bronze. It would be nice to get an upclose photo of the corner panels where a proper exposure could be made.

He's right, you must agree with him. Ignore the fact that the only architectural feature this building has ever had are inverted corners (WOW! :rolleyes:) and that there is $100,000,000 being spent on this building right now to return it to it's original architectural vapidness (albeit a safer version).

Toronto and Canada have both deserved something far better than this insipid monolith.

Hard to believe how this thing is transforming from an embarrassment to a stunner.

Since "ganja" is in your alias I will assume you were high when you posted that. What they are doing to FCP is tantamount to you taking your old Chrysler K-car to the car wash and cleaning all the mud off it and installing some airbags and ABS. Safer and cleaner yes, but still a featureless, slow, boring box of a car that will score you little punani.

Last edited:

Back