Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

This is really great. I love that the changes are not drastic, and that it will remain white. One small thing I noticed in the animation video, is that it shows Bay-Adelaide Centre with the KPMG signage.

Wow... this is a lot more than the expected (and much needed) replacement of marble with white glass. It's a complete overhaul of the building.

The dark corners really give this tower a different look by creating the visual perception that the faces are floating away from each other.

This confirms it: this project will indeed be one of the most exciting. It's our most visible building (by height and mass) and it's getting a new look. It's like we're getting a brand new "tallest building in Canada".

... The only missing element is fixing up those antennae.

Let's hope they fix the logo at the top while they are at it. Looks terrible since they redid it a few years back.

Yes. Completely knew. The logos that went up were split into the size of the marble tiles and recessed into the façade. The new ones are one piece and are a slightly larger.

The dark corners really give this tower a different look by creating the visual perception that the faces are floating away from each other.

Agreed. I love the darkened corners. It makes the building's four faces look like they are floating out from an empty void. It'll look spooky in the right light.

I am not a religious man, but THANK GOD! Now we just need to do something about the antennas.

It'll be fun to watch this transformation while Trump slowly rises next door. (The west view will probably generate more photos here than anything in recent history...):D

On the downside, no new antennas and, as far as I could tell from the website, no LED lighting. :(

Overall, though, huge plus.

Its quite a major story...

it still is the tallest building in Canada.

Found a timeline

graph.png

Those are some epic washroom upgrades, I would Imagine!!!

Last edited:
100 Million is the price tag!!

Not for just the cladding. This is a massive inside and out redevelopment. Besides the recladding, you got a complete mechanical/HVAC overhaul with digital controls for each tenant, new security room and technology over the entire building -- including upgrading the elevators with RFID card control, a new concourse shopping level, a new lobby...

This is going to be a brand new building built on the shell of the old one. $100M is a pretty conservative budget for what they're getting I think.

... now just get to those antennae. This building will be one we can be proud of again but it needs a distinctive roof element and a pair of antennae with LED lighting would make it iconic.

Last edited:
Ah.. I didn't think of that. I was thinking public washrooms.. lol

I guess in order to achieve LEED certification, they're going to have to redo all the washrooms to save on water, and use less power for lighting and hand dryers.

I must say that I'm really impressed with the (envisioned) future look for FCP. The dark corners really emphasize it architecturally, by bringing out the front most facades. Being described as a floating effect is quite apt; looks wonderful.

However, and this doesn't really relate to the re-cladding, FCP as an entire site is an atrocious waste of space. That high-res render really brings it to attention. Mostly due to lamented loss of some of the original buildings, I don't know why the tower wasn't pushed back towards that open space fronting Adelaide, enabling retention of the Star Building and the tower at the NW of King and Bay. For a 70+ storey building, the site density and use is embarrassingly weak. Perhaps it was the way of 60s/70s building, but either way I can't even wrap my head around what was being thought at the time.

Last edited:
We could dream of Brookfield adding density by building another 10-20 stories on top... but alas, we could only dream.

Back