Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

It will certainly look better than it does today.

I am not sure about the bronze corners (an all white building would look more compelling, in my opinion) and I would love the base to remain marble.

The bronze glass corners are what is making this much more interesting for me now: they will certainly make the building pop more now. Whether that will end up being better than a wholly white building remains to be seen.

Impressive website.

They're adding a Longo's downstairs. The downtown grocery store revolution continues apace.

Very nice indeed. I wish they would use black glass for the corner - or panels like the podium at MLS - it will make the "cardinal" facades really detach from the mass of the building.

AoD

yes, that was my inclination also, it should be black in the corners. Looks like the timeline is just under 2 years.

vintage pictures from the Redefining webpage:

1975-lobby.jpg

1975-building.jpg

1975-corner.jpg

vision for the new FCP:

vision.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Since the building is 95% occupied I wonder how much the tenants will be impacted by the work.

95% does not sound right to me ... or at the very least it won't be after the next few months ... it might be 95% leased but more of that space will be available for sublease i.e. it's not 95% physically occupied.

While the marble replacement is well and good the interior work is far more important as without it, it's hard to complete with any newly completed building ... I think in the next year we'll see older AAA buildings hit hard by this. Hopefully absorption will kick in slowly and they'll return to normal values of occupancy over time ... how much time is the key question.

I love the bronze indents! It definitely gives the building a more pronounced vertical element, and also makes the faces stand out more on their own. Going just a bit higher than the roofline with the glass would have made this even better, but im quite happy with what I see.

I'm liking what I see.

Two disappointments though...
  1. I really wish they could add some density to the podium at King & Bay by adding a few floors to it. It's currently the missing link on that corner.
  2. The antennae should be replaced with a better looking single antenna (or moved to the CN Tower)

My thoughts:

-Wow! This is exciting.

-The antennas should be replaced with two sleek prongs.

-The podium should be bulked up, as per Darkstar's suggestion.

-Perhaps a dark grey would be better than bronze, for the corners. See below for what I mean.

image-5.jpg

PS. Bay-Adelaide West has a KPMG logo on it in the First Canadian Place website animations. Hopefully those logos go up soon!

Bronze vs. dark gray won't look much different, considering the contrasting white glass will be what catches your eye before the recessed corners do.

As long as it's a darker color the effect will be more or less the same from more than 50' away - the darker the better.

I'm worried about the Bronze. It's cheap and looks it too. (think Knightbridge Garden Circle in Missy.) I think charcoal would of been a better choice.

Back