Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

A few more views:

FestTowerWest.jpg

FestTopWest.jpg

FestPodiumWest.jpg

July 20 2010 update

View from Bay Adelaide Centre West
IMG_4917.jpg

I love how tall and sleek this lightbox (at the top) is. there should be some amazing styles of architecture in a few years from that vantage point^^^ (with the 2 proposals behind festival :D)

Inside the TIFF Lightbox

Torontoist.com just did a piece on the building and has some cool photos of the interior.

The main control centre
20100723_lightbox3.jpg

Looks like this is part of the main lobby/gallery
20100723_lightbox2.jpg

Cinema 1
20100723_lightbox4.jpg

It all looks pretty good although the first two photos make the inside look a little cramped. There are a few instances of useless space, i.e. around the red box and underneath some awnings, but its really not that big a problem. I prefer cleaner meetings of materials and objects.

Here's the link to the main article

I hope the completion of this project inspires Hyatt to give their building a little scrub; it's starting to look very shabby.

As a major opportunity to promote and brand their chain you'd think this would be a no-brainer!

Interior space does look cramped.

It won't take long to find out they'll need to look for a bigger facility. (5-7 years maybe)

And maybe then even more money will pour in from the various financial sources as they'll discover this is a real year round money maker and essential service to the film/media industry.

The article mentions only 4 floors but isn't that podium 5 floors? It looks like 5 floors to me. And what about the cascading roof? Wasn't that supposed to be used for out door screenings? I thought those steps were going to be used as seating? That is a really cool roof. So what's that big cube structure on the podium? I thought that was part of Lightbox too? (a restaurant, snack bar or washrooms) I'm confused. lol

TIFF is always spread out across the city in a massive way, Lightbox is just the jewel in the crown. There are lots of venues for all sorts of TIFF events, I don't think space is going to be an issue.

OMG! The colour choices are so eye popping on the inside! Wow this is cool! I wish this was some sorta high-tech night club or something (if i was old enough to go:(). Really sick stuff! I thought the outside was cool, until i saw what was beneath it!

Back