Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

Maybe I'm weird but I think the fiarmont looks great.

You're not alone. The fusion of forms really breaks up the monotony of some of the curtain-wall modernism of the rest of the city, while still remaining oddly cohesive. This is the aesthetic we need more of.

I was wondering if the developer would try to add about 10 floors to this masterpiece. It will balance the skyline nicely from approaching the core with the Go Train. I hope they add some more floors, this is a beautuful building.....

It's a little late now, this looks to be about 3 or 4 floors from topping out.

You're not alone. The fusion of forms really breaks up the monotony of some of the curtain-wall modernism of the rest of the city, while still remaining oddly cohesive. This is the aesthetic we need more of.

I dislike that sort of monotony as well, but Vancouver's Fairmont seems to try too hard to avoid it, particularly at ground level where it looks like quite the jumble of architectural elements.

Last edited:
Caltrane, I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you ask if TIFF is Toronto's answer to Fairmont Vancouver.

Personally, Fairmont Vancouver isn't even in the same league as TIFF, in my opinion, and judging only by that picture. What a messy, mish-mash of elements that hotel is. I do like the box halfway up though. It's too bad that didn't run the entire height of the tower instead of what does now.

Personally, Fairmont Vancouver isn't even in the same league as TIFF, in my opinion, and judging only by that picture. What a messy, mish-mash of elements that hotel is.

It looks like they tried to slap a Mies facade onto the podium. There's something really absurd about that.

Caltrane, I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you ask if TIFF is Toronto's answer to Fairmont Vancouver.

Personally, Fairmont Vancouver isn't even in the same league as TIFF, in my opinion, and judging only by that picture. What a messy, mish-mash of elements that hotel is. I do like the box halfway up though. It's too bad that didn't run the entire height of the tower instead of what does now.

What I guess I'm meaning to state is the way both buildings have these massive street level podiums that are built in almost the same style. They are overpowering the street, in what I find is a good way.

sany1604.jpg

by me

4283391461_240e5b3f42_b.jpg

from raggedy13 at SSP

Last edited:
The building exemplifies Vancouver architecture of the last ten years from Wall Centre's clear glazing to Shangri-la's photovoltaic squares and my personal favourite, the red marble clad One Harbour Green that goes all Frankenstein from certain angles.

raggedy13 photo sums up how well the tower engages the street though.

The repeating artwork, "lying on top of the building, the clouds appeared no nearer than when I was lying on the street" is quite hilarious.

I lived in Hong Kong for three years in the late 1970s and the Fairmont reminds me of any number of Hotels built in their design aesthetic. Particularly the ground floor in that last photo of it above. The materials used and their colours, are reminiscent of a few Hong Kong shops and hotels of that era.

I wonder if the influx of all that Hong Kong financing in the late 90s to Vancouver, influenced the design aesthetic now seen there?

I am still not fond of how TIFF overwhelms the street but at least it seems somewhat original in design IMHO.

I am still not fond of how TIFF overwhelms the street but at least it seems somewhat original in design IMHO.

I agree and wonder if they could have set the front back from the street or the centre portion, maybe semi circle which
would help that a bit, and allow a place for the limo's to go. Can you imagine what King St will be like in front of this place
when TIFF is on. Maybe the stars can drive in at the back I am not sure but I think they would want to make a splash and
the media would want the stars to pull up front. Then again maybe they will shut the street down for limos only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished TIFF from your view! I also finished Ritz just for fun!

Enjoy!

4343496251_dc291394c4_o.jpg

(Original courtesy urbandreamer with my Shop skills... HA! Skills? )

Last edited:
Wow! looking at my own work above I just realized how bland our architecture really is. Look at all the grey and green! A similar shot of Calgary would have a bit more colour to it. We really need to add a pink marble condo or something... ANYTHING other than green glass!

^Ha, that's exactly what I think when I look out the window everyday. But down on the streets, the story is much more interesting. On my weekly walk from Bloor and Keele to the Trinity-Bellwoods area via Dundas St West/Ossington/Queen, I catch brief glimpses of these towers and thank god most of Toronto's buildings were built pre-war red brick style!

Back