Toronto Emerald City Phases 1 to 3 including Dream Tower | ?m | 36s | Almadev | WZMH

from tuesday. the are working on mech now with the huge upper level

BVpTojG.jpg

Really not much emerald is there? Probably the biggest name-to-final product sham since Spandrel Blu. And to think there's more phases of this crap. Maybe it's time that ELAD ditches WZMH.

The name is just marketing. From the pictures this doesn't seem so bad at all. Nothing exciting, but it looks reasonably clean for something that far away from the core. I do wish they had integrated the TTC entrance, but maybe that's one of those things that works fine at ground level and just looks odd when seen from above.

^ I find the spandrel-clad window wall system exhibited here to be dated and unfashionable. The grey coloured spandrel is also rather dull and fails to capture the visual senses. Well executed vivid shades of green (emerald?) or blue would have been an automatic upgrade and brighten up these lifeless towers.

Really love the way this thing looks from far away-- the view from the 401 Eastbound is pretty impressive. Nothing special up close, but it'll do I guess.

The new tower looks so bland and sterile that its slab neighbour might outshine it. The 1960s slab has white brick contrasted with black balcony railings and the interesting tripod plan versus the new tower's timid combination of symmetry and grey spandrels and the graceless heft of its relatively large rectangular plan.

Back