Toronto Emerald City Phases 1 to 3 including Dream Tower | ?m | 36s | Almadev | WZMH

Yea that's what I thought ... :(

The builder's package does not illustrate any retail space at ground level. The ground level apparently will include the lobby and recreational amenities, and a direct connection to the subway and Fairview Mall.

If I may clarify ... the 'ground floor' as shown in the builder's package (below) refers to ground level on the south side facing the residents drop-off area, which is in fact 1 storey higher than ground facing Sheppard, identified as 'lower lobby'... connection to the subway station is provided through the 'lower lobby' level

EmeraldCity_amenities.jpg

you can see the grade difference between the north and south side of the site on the scaled model as well ~

IMG_3195.jpg

therefore the roof of the TTC subway entrace shown below is equal to the 'ground floor' of this building ... whereas Sheppard Avenue is equalvalent to the 'lower lobby' level ... which is where the retail would be

IMG_3196.jpg

i think they should put in "roof gardens" on top of the podium level, or even on the rooftop of the tower. It'll definitely be an attractive feature to have.

Legacy + Ultra just east of this site should also have roof gardens as well. It'll hide all the concrete and also gives residents a place to relax.

Just some renderings I pulled from the video posted on Emerald City condos' website ~

there is in fact a roof garden on top of the west podium on the right side below (accessed from the 5th floor party room I think)

EmeraldCity_1.jpg

EmeraldCity_2.jpg

EmeraldCity_3.jpg

Future southeast corner of Don Mills + Sheppard, notice the grade changes ~

EmeraldCity_4.jpg

The 'lower lobby' with stairs leading up to the 'ground floor'

EmeraldCity_5.jpg

I believe Legacy + Ultra @ Heron's Hill in fact have a roof garden in the middle ~

East view of rooftop park at the centre of the Heron's Hill project
IMG_2607.jpg

Too bad. The original Parkway Forest proposal was for four buildings of around 50 stories. They would have stood out, if for no other reason than being tall (imagine them coming into view while driving east or west on the 401). This watered-down plan just deposits more cookie-cutter 30-storey condo crap in North York. Appropriate, I guess.

Sure but I'm liking the treatment at street level a bit more then the typically North York crap.

I'll take it!

Wow... what city did they plop this model into? Sim City?

Ha, I was just about to mention that. Apparently, the 401 and the houses near Fairview will all be replaced by something like King & Spadina.

As for the complex itself, it really should include more people - and taller towers housing them. Taller towers would permit more land/ground space to be freed up for roads, parks, schools, etc., that the local NIMBYs will claim are already lacking (not that they're 100% wrong about such things). If you want transit and retail strips and the like to survive in seemingly unexpected suburban places, it somethimes takes the redevelopment equivalent of brute force to make it happen...2000 or so new residential units is not brute force but 5000 is. A block bounded by 2 megarterials and 2 highways really should have SimCity density. I'd also bridge a road over the 404, from Parkway Forest to Yorkland.

Does it really matter whether they are 50 or 30 storeys? Either way, they tower over all else. And, I much prefer the street level of the 30 storey towers than that of the 50 storey towers in a park.

except it wouldn't be towers in a park, because 30 or 50s, this building meets the street quite nicely, and with the reatail, it's really positive for the area.

Monarch has sent out an e-blast for $10,000 off purchase price. i wonder if EmeraldCity will follow, since i find this sign far better designed than Monarch Ultra. I'm loving it more and more especially with their new website (w/ videos and pics). Very nice, whereas Ultra seems like an outdated building design, nothing special or unique that gets my attention.

Does anyone know or hear of any price drops here? my parents are really looking foward to buying here due to the accessibility by car and public transit and most importantly, they lived in the area for over 20 years.

I was in the sales office this weekend ... the sales agent said El-Ad is offering $15,000 rebate @ closing for the next 10 purchasers, but there are no other price adjustments ... for what its worth

I was in the sales office this weekend ... the sales agent said El-Ad is offering $15,000 rebate @ closing for the next 10 purchasers, but there are no other price adjustments ... for what its worth

interesting. if there is a serious buyer i'm sure they can bump that to $20,000 :D

i might consider this if their prices come down to ~$400/sqft :) which would make them the same price as Ultra, but with much better quality IMO. I'm just gona have to wait and see.

Did a quick search and found out that the parent company is Dalek Group owned by Yitzhak Tshuva who is on the list of billionaires (ranked around #500 on Forbes, i think - Wiki is not up to date.) :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ad_Group

Last edited:

Back