News   May 31, 2024
 19     0 
News   May 30, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   May 30, 2024
 1.6K     2 

Toronto Eaton Centre

Not surprised about that really. Their prices were really high, and you can get all the stuff they sold in other stores with better service.

Leasing plan shows little if no space: http://www.cfretail.com/FloorPlans/TECOP03_floorplan.pdf

I think you're right Toronto1 - when Sears closes CF could create a proper east/west Dundas Mall in that area. The other wasted space is the area between Joey's and the business school entrance. Again all of this could be re-oriented when/if Sears vacates their space.

I used to work at Canadian Tire Bay/Dundas, and we used to enter the store through that area in the morning. It is simply a corridor that connects the food court, Sears, H&M, Mark's, Canadian Tire, and Best Buy to the receiving area. There is a small space that was used as the construction office for Joey's when it was being built. It could potentially be leased out in the future.

I used to work at Canadian Tire Bay/Dundas, and we used to enter the store through that area in the morning. It is simply a corridor that connects the food court, Sears, H&M, Mark's, Canadian Tire, and Best Buy to the receiving area. There is a small space that was used as the construction office for Joey's when it was being built. It could potentially be leased out in the future.

How is the Canadian Tire at the Eaton Center Performing, I know you mentioned before not too well ?

How is the Canadian Tire at the Eaton Center Performing, I know you mentioned before not too well ?

It has a new owner, and new management and they have made huge gains over the past two years. Still below what was originally expected, but getting closer and closer. Employees got profit sharing this year for the first time in that store's history.

They put an experienced dealer into the store and he seems more willing to experiment with the business.

I wouldn't doubt that the recent influx of condo dwellers has also helped business quite a bit. First place I go shopping after a move has always been Canadian Tire.

It has a new owner, and new management and they have made huge gains over the past two years. Still below what was originally expected, but getting closer and closer. Employees got profit sharing this year for the first time in that store's history.

They put an experienced dealer into the store and he seems more willing to experiment with the business.

I know this isn't exactly related, but any news on Canadian Tire's HQ at Yonge and Eglinton, staying put for the next little while or are they still thinking of moving ? I recall last you mentioned they decided to stay put, but that was a year ago or so.

Leasing plan shows little if no space: http://www.cfretail.com/FloorPlans/TECOP03_floorplan.pdf

I think you're right Toronto1 - when Sears closes CF could create a proper east/west Dundas Mall in that area. The other wasted space is the area between Joey's and the business school entrance. Again all of this could be re-oriented when/if Sears vacates their space.

The area in question is on Level 2 as per the leasing plan linked above, and it is stamped as being H&M. Maybe they are using it for back of house storage area?

I don't see any easy reconfiguration of that "Dundas Mall" area were Sears to vacate their space on that level.

Oh, and just to be comprehensive, the parking garage (to answer another earlier question), is not behind that area either. Give the level 2 plan a good look: besides the area stamped H&M, it contains the base of One Dundas's elevator core and various service areas.

It's a good thing that I never claimed that it would be an easy reconfiguration then!

Haha! Well, I agree that if (more likely when) Sears goes from Level 2 that the whole area will definitely become more mall, and that a reconfiguration might be workable which would include a diagonal hallway lined with shops linking the north-south hall to the Marks/Canadian Tire area, making the hallway beside H&M redundant and allowing them to be expand their store into its space.

That corner has been a disastrous zone from day one and the whole thing as well the north side needs to be torn down and built from scratch.

This will have an effect on TTC entrances, but can be fix during the construction. In fact, the platform can be widen in that area as well the concourse.

The walkway from the mall to CT is a total waste of space. It was built for retail, but never got off the ground.

Filling the gap between Ryerson business school entrance and Joey's is a must or turn into a square.

As for reduce the loitering, you need to make the space smaller, but its those groups that setup their stands or doing the handouts are more the issues. This is one case where the sidewalk is too wide.

You could move the whole north side out a meter or so to gain more space for development and should have street entrances.

They really need to do something about that corner on the sidewalk. The crowds grow so much because of street artists and preachers, and sometimes it actually spills out onto the street. Are people really entertained by break dancing that much that a couple hundred people need to stand there and watch and take pictures? Maybe I'm just over it, not being new to the area.

What frustrates me about the south-west corner or Yonge/Dundas is most of the action lies there, and not Dundas Square. I mean, there is a massive public square unoccupied right across the street from the Eaton Centre. The intended goal of the square was to create public space for the people, including street artists, preachers, breakdancers, etc.

The problem is, most people are walking on the west side of Yonge Street due to the Eaton Centre, so buskers don't want to move to the square where they will have a lower audience. What Cadillac Fairview should be doing is designing a thought out space that doesn't allow wasted open space for loitering, even if it means making the sidewalks smaller, adding planters, etc. The amount of times that I have to push my way through a crowd of people at Yonge-Dundas is unbelievable.

What frustrates me about the south-west corner or Yonge/Dundas is most of the action lies there, and not Dundas Square. I mean, there is a massive public square unoccupied right across the street from the Eaton Centre. The intended goal of the square was to create public space for the people, including street artists, preachers, breakdancers, etc.

That's because in order for a square to succeed, it needs to have active retail and restaurants (not offices, not theatres, not civic buildings) spilling directly out onto it - not from across the street. Dundas Square (like many other squares) is bounded by roads on all sides.

It's equivalent to hanging out in an empty lot (or traffic island), instead of in someone's front/back yard.

That means that a successful square requires a replotting (closure) of one or more roads and a mega-block.

Totally agreed. They can't close Dundas or Yonge, so they should close the side with the Hard Rock Café.

Is there a reason why the street between YD square and the Hard Rock Cafe is not closed? Does it have an entrance to a garage?

Back