Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

My thoughts are that it will help increase sales for The Bay (once people get discouraged but still want to leave the store with something and realize how much cheaper items are in comparison to Saks - they will look like a steal!) It's the same reason why Harry Rosen's helps sales at Tip Top.

Yeah i think the Bay will be the big winner. The average person can't afford to shop at Saks or Nordstrom on a regular basis.

I checked it out this afternoon. The men's department is nice, and warm looking, but as has already been pointed out, Saks only makes up a small portion of the space. Food Court isn't open yet. Intimidating prices. I can't imagine I'd be visiting this place too often. Still, I think the idea that the Bay will become the "big winner" is a tad optimistic. This ain't your dad's Hudson's Bay. I'd argue the men's section is just as nice, and is quite a bit larger. But the prices aren't that cheap, by comparison. While I think they offer more affordable brands, lower tiered brands such as Ben Sherman and Calvin Klein are still quite pricey for the average consumer.

I find The Bay carries good, quality brands and has great sales events with large discounts. The men's clothes take up the entire 5th floor and it's very well laid out, nice decor, not cluttered (like The Bay of the past) and it's been my go-to place since the reno's.

I can't see Saks having comparatively similar discounts.

Question for someone who's shopping here this weekend as I failed to ask a store clerk: can you purchase an item picked up in Saks but in The Bay side? I couldn't see any security thingys as its really all open with only decor clues that you are in a different 'store'.

Haha correct: I'm not a Saks customer and never will be. Momma said there's only so much fortune a man really needs and the rest is just for showing off.

Haha correct: I'm not a Saks customer and never will be. Momma said there's only so much fortune a man really needs and the rest is just for showing off.

A lot of Canadians would consider products from HBC "showing off". I can tell you really don't like Saks but when push comes to shove, Saks and HBC are both higher-end stores. Having Saks here just creates more variety in product and brand identity.

No, I love that we have a Saks! You totally misunderstand. I'm still a snob shopper and like nice things but that are a good value. Tewder implied I was missing the point and I agree with him that I'm not a Saks customer. Doesn't mean I don't value it's existence as a gallery for clothing. I just happen to love HBC, Winners, Goodwill, Tip Top, Abercrombie...I just have a price limit what I'm willing to pay for certain items of clothing.

I'm not a Saks customer because it's for people that don't care about such price limits. People of all income levels will buy items there because they 'deserve' those items. Some of my poorest friends have luxury items.

And yes, wearing a HBC Collection Winter Coat is showing off (in a bad way).

I was a bit disappointed after visiting Saks. They've really ruined what was a pretty open space when it was Hudson's Bay. Pretty much all of the windows on the first floor have been blocked off - it feels cramped and dark compared to the previous iteration. The entry off the Eaton Centre bridge also felt a little bit awkward - the bridge leads in a carpeted shoe area - it's really odd. It's perplexing how they've managed to get the Bay portion of the store so right, and the Saks portion so awkward.

Plenty of photos for those interested: http://www.styledemocracy.com/40-photos-from-the-saks-toronto-opening/

I was a bit disappointed after visiting Saks. They've really ruined what was a pretty open space when it was Hudson's Bay. Pretty much all of the windows on the first floor have been blocked off - it feels cramped and dark compared to the previous iteration. The entry off the Eaton Centre bridge also felt a little bit awkward - the bridge leads in a carpeted shoe area - it's really odd. It's perplexing how they've managed to get the Bay portion of the store so right, and the Saks portion so awkward.

I thought the Saks portion (the men's section, at least), was nice, with a better colour scheme than the rest of the Bay, which I find a bit too cold. But it does feel slightly cramped.

I think the new bridge, if it looks anything like the rendering, will a great addition:

eaton-centre-e1440193860391.jpg

I'm perplexed that Saks completely gave up the Yonge-Queen corner. It's all closed off display windows. Not a single entrance and no views into the store on Yonge Street. WTF?

While The Bay wasn't awesome in making use of their Yonge Street presence, Saks really killed street life along that strip.

I'm perplexed that Saks completely gave up the Yonge-Queen corner. It's all closed off display windows. Not a single entrance and no views into the store on Yonge Street. WTF?

While The Bay wasn't awesome in making use of their Yonge Street presence, Saks really killed street life along that strip.

Totally agree with you. I saw a number of people today who were confused as to how to actually get in the store today. It seems really foolish considering how that portion of Yonge is beginning to regenerate with the addition of Dineen Coffee and Bay Adelaide 2.

Tewder implied I was missing the point and I agree with him that I'm not a Saks customer.

Just to clarify, there is absolutely no criticism in the fact that you are not a Saks customer! We all have our means. Bring on the Nordies Rack, I say!!

I've still yet to go check out the inside of Saks but I have to say, what they did to the Yonge & Queen corner is really unfortunate for the streetscape / pedestrian experience of that intersection.

I get that thread discussions often naturally meander away from the the thread topic, but just a reminder that this thread is about the old Sears space/the new Nordstrom/Uniqlo/etc. - i.e. the north end of the mall. While a discussion about Nordstrom will undoubtedly give rise to comments about the nearby Saks, it would be great if some of these thoughts about Saks and the south end were shared in the ongoing discussion about Saks in the Saks thread. Those that stick to the building and construction forums might not be aware that there is a Saks thread.

(And just as an FYI, there is also a general Eaton Centre retail thread here.)

Back