Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Not sure what you mean though, @officedweller. The corridor from Nordstrom to the atrium will have Uniqlo on the west side, probably Apple on the east side, and H&M up near the outside doors.

All I meant was, if the coloured mall schematic is to be believed (and if Nordstrom is taking the other side of the corridor), it would make sense that the area outlined in red (below) should be incorporated into Nordstrom's leasable area rather than remaining as mall corridor. So that calls into question the accuracy of that schematic (to me at least).

Yd07GUq.jpg

If that corridor were a part of Nordstrom, that area wouldn't be available for an entrance and/or display window for the alleged Apple Store on one side and Uniqlo on the other. It would have to be a wall on both sides. That wouldn't be a very usable or pleasant part of the store and Uniqlo would just have a tiny entrance with no outward facing display space whatsoever.

It should be noted the rest of that map isn't entirely accurate either - Roots has been subdivided into two separate stores. It's also possible this was taken from an upper level map - maybe the 3rd floor of Nordstrom - which could easily span over a 2-storey Uniqlo. Zara does a similar move over Mercatto. That being said - the newest Apple Store rendering at One Bloor West does throw serious doubt on a new Apple Store flagship here. With H&M and Uniqlo on that corner - I might risk a bet that TopShop could put in a flagship here - especially considering how cramped their space has gotten inside Hudson's Bay.

All I meant was, if the coloured mall schematic is to be believed (and if Nordstrom is taking the other side of the corridor), it would make sense that the area outlined in red (below) should be incorporated into Nordstrom's leasable area rather than remaining as mall corridor. So that calls into question the accuracy of that schematic (to me at least).

Yd07GUq.jpg
As I have already outlined, I have zero confidence in that schematic.

I wonder if Apple coud be moving to the location of the temporary H & M men's store on the second level

Barely larger than the current store, and more oddly shaped. Why move there?

It should be noted the rest of that map isn't entirely accurate either - Roots has been subdivided into two separate stores. It's also possible this was taken from an upper level map - maybe the 3rd floor of Nordstrom - which could easily span over a 2-storey Uniqlo. Zara does a similar move over Mercatto. That being said - the newest Apple Store rendering at One Bloor West does throw serious doubt on a new Apple Store flagship here. With H&M and Uniqlo on that corner - I might risk a bet that TopShop could put in a flagship here - especially considering how cramped their space has gotten inside Hudson's Bay.

No reason that Apple can't have larger stores here at the Eaton Centre, at The One, and in fact at Union Station in the future. They're all separate walk-in markets, and all the stores would be busy.

I bet uniqlo will have the space on the west side closest to H&M and then a second level that goes east with windows facing the square All rainbow lit, with a very tall escalator to the second level. That would be very in line with their aesthetic. If apple moves to the other spot. It would just be a single level. That is my guess

It's really bright. There are now 10 video billboards directly on Yonge-Dundas Square. It's starting to reach a Times Squaresque tipping point and I love it!

QGfDAykh.jpg

Going up the escalator from the lower floors, I could see this bright white light up in the atrium. The light boxes have a very pleasing light temperature. It looks very much like daylight.

The photos don't do it justice. In person, the whole thing comes together nicely. While I still think they took the cheap route with squared faceted corners and off the shelf acrylic light boxes, the details are done right and the high quality video billboards allow for the light boxes do fall into the background. It becomes of secondary importance in the same way a museum wall goes unnoticed when there's a beautiful painting hanging on it.

Overall, I think this is going to be a nice addition to both the square and to the Eaton Centre's atrium.

I bet uniqlo will have the space on the west side closest to H&M and then a second level that goes east with windows facing the square All rainbow lit, with a very tall escalator to the second level. That would be very in line with their aesthetic. If apple moves to the other spot. It would just be a single level. That is my guess
The leasing plan show the 28,000 square foot Uniqlo location (which Retail Insider has been pretty explicit about, location-wise) as having second floor space overlooking the atrium, but not continuing all the way over to the Yonge Street frontage. I'm not certain what the exterior will be like near the Uniqlo store, but a Uniqlo sign at the second level above the hall should be visible from the square through the atrium's glass roof.

Meanwhile, one thing we have not considered is that the space where Apple is likely going facing Yonge Street might just be one of the two floors. Apple currently has 4,977 square feet in the mall, but it looks like there is about 9,000 square feet available on the ground floor on the east side of the atrium, and about 12,000 square feet available on the second floor. A sizeable expansion could be accomplished by Apple in the Eaton Centre by only taking one of the two levels. We shall see in the fall of course.

If Apple doesn't end up on the North end - I could easily see them moving into the Atmosphere space once the tower is built out - the historic façade would totally be up their alley.

It's really bright. There are now 10 video billboards directly on Yonge-Dundas Square. It's starting to reach a Times Squaresque tipping point and I love it!

QGfDAykh.jpg

Going up the escalator from the lower floors, I could see this bright white light up in the atrium. The light boxes have a very pleasing light temperature. It looks very much like daylight.

The photos don't do it justice. In person, the whole thing comes together nicely. While I still think they took the cheap route with squared faceted corners and off the shelf acrylic light boxes, the details are done right and the high quality video billboards allow for the light boxes do fall into the background. It becomes of secondary importance in the same way a museum wall goes unnoticed when there's a beautiful painting hanging on it.

Overall, I think this is going to be a nice addition to both the square and to the Eaton Centre's atrium.
I wonder how the SAM sign would have looked affixed to this.

Back