Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

There is cool horizontal lighting hidden in those panels. Looks great.

I noticed that today.

what do you mean?

There are strips of light that run between some of those horizontal strips of cladding. I'm not sure if they weren't all on (I only saw two) but if there are more, it could have a really cool effect. Think Aura's crown, but horizontal. The Blade Runnerfication of Yonge-Dundas is in full swing.

Also of note:
1. H&M is pretty much complete on the outside. They were applying sticker ads on the windows for what looks like a preparation to remove the hoarding.

2. I confirmed that there is wiring on the ledge above the corner entrance. The H&M stickers are temporary as expected. A lit H&M sign will sit on the ledge on the corner.

3. Behind the tarp, I saw that there's a large LED display inside the atrium. If the atrium was too dark (it was), that is definitely not going to be the case anymore. With a full wall of light boxes and a huge LED billboard, you're going to need sunscreen to go into the atrium.

4. The Nordstrom sign is installed in the main mall galleria. It's reflective metal, lit from behind and it's beautiful.

5. A door was opened to the mysterious store on the old Sears corner. It's definitely under construction but I couldn't tell what was going on in there. No hints to confirm that it's Apple. A telltale sign would be if living wall components of trees were seen. Apple is greening its new stores. Alas, I couldn't make out anything in particular.

Last edited:
I noticed that today.

There are strips of light that run between some of those horizontal strips of cladding. I'm not sure if they weren't all on (I only saw two) but if there are more, it could have a really cool effect. Think Aura's crown, but horizontal. The Blade Runnerfication of Yonge-Dundas is in full swing.

Between the horizontal strips on the Nordstrom façade?

Yes. Now that we know that there's lighting in there, you can kind of tell where they are.

img_0422-jpg.65697

For those who don't remember how bright and airy the atrium used to be, here is a refresher *sigh*

Thanks MetroMan for the pictures! The atrium was so beautiful, and so ahead of its time(!) How long ago was that? I think the TD Bank logo is much different now. Does anyone know the current locations of the "old/young woman optical illusion kite art" and "Japanese kite art"? I hope they are hanging somewhere for public enjoyment! What a shame that such an airy space has been lost. Let's hope the public art have continued their lives somewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks for the old photos. I don't ever remember it looking like that, I guess that was before my time.
Definitely a nice space, however the "art" installation is terrible so I'm glad that's gone and mostly forgotten

Thanks MetroMan for the pictures! The atrium was so beautiful, and so ahead of its time(!) How long ago was that? I think the TD Bank logo is much different now. Does anyone know the current locations of the "old/young woman optical illusion kite art" and "Japanese kite art"? I hope they are hanging somewhere for public enjoyment! What a shame that such an airy space has been lost. Let's hope the public art have continued their lives somewhere.

I remember it being exactly like that when I arrived in Toronto in the late 1980s.

Back