Toronto East Lofts Condos | ?m | 12s | Harhay | a—A

An interior design colleague of mine (who is friends with the Kiosk owner) also said that she understood from them that Kiosk was moving into that TCHC building.

A new permit dated Apr 28 has appeared in the City of Toronto Building Application database for 275 King East, which I believe is the office address of East Lofts: Interior alterations to commercial unit on the ground floor for new retail store. Tenant - "Urban Barn". http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=2601960

The Urban Barn website also has an "opening soon" listing for that same address: http://www.urbanbarn.com/Ontario

I've visited their Queen West location, but I had no idea they had so many locations across Central and Western Canada. They seem to be more of a mid-priced furniture store, perhaps a needed alternative to many of the other very expensive furniture stores on the strip.

Last edited:
Urban Barn - How underwhelming. I guess it was a matter of time that Urban Barn showed up in that area. And yes, I hate the furniture in there.

Well, the Urban Barn has been open for some months, and while I know nothing about the quality of their products, at least I think they did a nice job with the space and signage.

And... today I noticed that the For Lease banners were gone from the larger vacant portion of the retail units in the building, and a group of suits were standing around inside, alternately inspecting the space and glancing at Really Important Looking Papers. I'm guessing this means the space has finally been leased. Anyone have the scoop on what the new tenant might be?

At our condo meeting, Chris Harhay said that they had been negotiating with a "financial institution", although he wouldn't call it a bank, so I'm not sure exactly what that might be.

What would be cool: someone start a modern furniture company based on classic rural farmer's furniture from c.1700-1940s.

Urban Barn is perhaps one small step above Leon's--rubbish.

Actually it is probably far more handy to have an Urban Barn at hand than a furniture store, especially if you entertain. At least at Urban Barn you can pick up candles or place mats or something to dress a table, or various other housewares and Umbra stuff. I grant you it is not uber cool but it is also not ridiculously expensive either.

Not trying to defend Urban Barn per se, rather just liking the fact that not every retail outlet that opens in a Toronto neighbourhood has to be boutique-y (read: expensive and with attitude).

New retail tenant

At our condo meeting, Chris Harhay said that they had been negotiating with a "financial institution", although he wouldn't call it a bank, so I'm not sure exactly what that might be.
I have heard that Scotiabank will be moving into the unoccupied retail space at ground level.

Passed by today....I really like how the retail meets the street, I walked right by Urban Barn without even noticing it...the building blends in so well with the area (at least at street level). This one's a beauty for sure.

large Scotia Bank Coming Soon stickers were put on the windows today..

Its hard to believe this space will be used as a bank, not that I mind. It certainly beats another furniture store.

Progress on the No Frills in the Sun Building seems to be going well. They have put up the glass on the store front which previously were holes.

Great for Scotiabank customers, at least. Not too many banks east of the RBC at King & Jarvis so I can't complain. However, I wouldn't say it beats another furniture store considering it is the design district. However, with Urban Barn being one of the retail it does make sense to mix it up.

Back