Toronto Downtown Condos at Wellington West | 36.57m | 11s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

Oh please people, we have a couple of Balzacs around town now - in the Distillery and in Liberty Village. Pretty soon there will be Balzacs everywhere in town and people will travel from around the world for our Balzacs.

I deeply apologize for the above post.

You should see what I managed to stop myself from writing, however.

Anyway, although this is barely germane to the thread, I think this area would actually be a good one for another Balzac's. Seriously. (This time.)

Haha. Wow.

These hotels are great, but I'm a bit baffled by the location. It's a nice neighbourhood and all, but a King or Queen address might offer more to visitors. Wellington's a pretty quiet, if up-and-coming, residential area, while Front is a bit of a post-industrial strip looking down at the railroads.

I wouldn't say no to a Balzac's in the area. It would fit in with the gradual changes to be found in the neighbourhood. After all, not too far off is the Hamam spa on King, a fancy Lee Valley Hardware store, a couple of nice wallet-killing restaurants and the Women's only spa and health centre on Adelaide with the pools of green tea (don't drink it ladies!).

Then again, there is still a strip bar and the Wheatsheaf on King with the regulars who appear to have been frequenting the place since it opened.

I know I'm opening a can of worms by what I'm about to type, but...

I think this area has the potential to be the most New Yorkish, mmm Manhattany, hmmm Tribeca-y-ish part of this town.* By that I mean that it has a mix of some remaining older housing stock, some shiny new insertions, offices and warehousing, a pile of restaurants and clubs, some galleries, etc., all of mixture that in mostly mid-rise buildings. Tribeca as of late has been getting its share of new hotels too, and that's what has called it to mind for me here. I think it's not unreasonable that people will want stay in hotels in this area - it's close to everything (except the subway, oh if only I could change that) without being in the heart of the noise of the core.

* For those who go nuts over New York comparisons: calm down. A comparison does not necessarily indicate insecurity on the part of the one making it (although an anaphylactic response to it may indicate insecurity on the part of the reader); its purpose in this case is merely to cite an instance of a similar, well known, neighbourhood that works. If there isn't a similar example here, why wouldn't one invoke an example from New York if it felt best suited?

I suppose if we're talking Meatpacking District, the Gansevoort is the perfect example of an hotel similar to the proposed Savoy that we're talking about here. We could be so lucky...

518/516 Wellington St W still hotel proposal?????

Does anyone know if there is still a hotel proposed for the property at 516/518 Wellington St W? Any updates on that project? That property still looks like its pretty inactive.

Land is for Sale - Project Dead (for now)

Walked by these 3 properties today. Properties for the 518 Wellington proposed hotel are now up for sale. Go back to the first post in the this thread to recall what all the fuss was about.

Now, how about a W hotel! Somebody, please buy this lovely property!

There was a proposal for a condo just to the east of this (formerly) proposed hotel. Anyone know the status of that one? It would sit right next to 500 Wellington by Freed.

504-506 Wellington was at the C of A in June but I believe was postponed and never came back to the City.

Anyone know?

I believe this was the elevation given to the C of A at that time with respect to how much they were going to crowd Mr. Freed's 500 Wellington project directly to the east. I hope those buyers know what they are in for on both sides of this "+$1M suite" fence. This is still not confirmed.
504wellingtonsouth.jpg

There's nothing in the Development Application Status database about 504-506 Wellington, SpadinaBus. Do you remember any other details about that project? Like who was bringing it forward, who had designed it, etc?

This is all I got from the CofA agenda notice in June.

&Co was the architect and Uxland the developer.

29. 504-506 WELLINGTON ST W
File Number: A0137/09TEY Zoning RA (PPR)
Owner(s): UXLAND DEVELOPMENT
(WEST) INC
UXLAND DEVELOPMENT
(WEST) INC[
Ward: Trinity-Spadina (20)
Agent: NATASHA KRICKHAN
Property Address: 504-506 WELLINGTON ST W Community:
Legal Description: PL D45 LT5 PT LT4 & 6
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To demolish the existing three-storey commercial building and to construct a new 10-storey residential building.
REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
1. Section 4(16), By-law 438-86
An apartment building having a residential gross floor area in excess of 2800 m2 is required to have a driveway
that serves an entrance to the building and which allows vehicles to travel in one continuous motion.
In this case, the proposed driveway does not comply.
2. Section 7(3) Part IV 4(ii), By-law 438-86
No part of the building that is used for parking shall be erected closer than 10.0 m to a lot line that abuts a street.
The proposed parking at the ground floor is located 0.0 m from the North lot line abutting the public lane.
3. Section 7(3) Part II 1(I) & 3, By-law 438-86
The portion of the building located beyond 25 m of a street or public park is required to be setback a minimum of
7.5 m from the side and rear lot lines.
The new 10-storey building will be located 0.0 m from the West and East lot lines and 3.0 m from the centre line
of the rear public lane.
4. Section 12(2) 246(a), By-law 438-86
A building or structure is prohibited from having a height greater than 20.0 m, unless above such a height a 3.0 m
setback is provided from the main wall of such building or structure.
The proposed height of the new 10-storey building, measured to the top of the eigth floor terrace guard, is 25.46
m.
5. Section 4(2)(a), By-law 438-86
The maximum permitted height is 23.0 m.
The new 10-storey building will have a height of 36.25 m to the top of the elevator overrun, and 34.95 m to the top
of the roof.

Back