Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

2 properties? i think thats alittle unrealistic. in a bigger city such as n.y.c. or hong kong then that might be pheasable but i think that might not happen.... especially since there fairly close together

2 properties? i think thats alittle unrealistic. in a bigger city such as n.y.c. or hong kong then that might be pheasable but i think that might not happen.... especially since there fairly close together

I think what was meant was that Westbank, the developer who is building the SL would build another condo hotel with a different brand.

I got the impression the other site was to more in the Downtown core so I don't think it will be the same site (at Bloor/Yonge).

Westbank did build the Fairmount Pacific Rim Hotel and condos as well as the SL in Vancouver so it would not be unheard of them to develop 2 luxury brand hotels in one city.

The population of Hong Kong is 7 million - not that much morre than the GTA - but it does seem a stretch that they would build two here in such a short time frame.

Remember Shangri-La said they were working on developing a second property in Toronto. Maybe this is it.

Again to correct this as I think there is some confusion. Westbank, the developer of SL Toronto and SL Vancouver is looking I have heard to build a second property. Not Shangrila. Shangrila is the hotel operator of the University Ave site.

Westbank could build another hotel/condo combination and still be the developer but with a different brand. I don't believe SL is planning a 2nd site in the city.

My guess is that the project will include a beachhead for a major American retailer like Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth Avenue.

I think what was meant was that Westbank, the developer who is building the SL would build another condo hotel with a different brand.

I got the impression the other site was to more in the Downtown core so I don't think it will be the same site (at Bloor/Yonge).

Gee, I was hoping that they had bought that lot at the corner of Front and Simcoe, to build the tallest of them all..lol :)

In a prehearing decision issued on Dec 2, the OMB provided an an update on appeals by 20 Cumberland Street Ltd., Morguard Investments Limited, 2008221 Ontario Inc. Pensionfund Realty Limited and 60 Bloor Equities Inc. against the city’s approval of a zb/l amendment permitting a 36s & 48s apartment building by Cumberland Development Limited Partnership and OMERS Realty Management Corporation at 2 Bloor Street West. The board has ordered a mediation session that began back on Dec 1 and further scheduled a six week hearing starting on Feb 22, 2011 and concluding on April 1, 2011. The issues list includes a variety of items ranging from block planning, below grade pedestrain connectivity, at grade loading, parking & vehicular access, above grade issues with respect to height, massing, transition and spacial seperation, views, key sites, terminus treatments, wind, shadow, and retail uses.

I like the rendering of the new building, but I think they should've broken up the facade a bit. It will be a bit monolithic compared to the little rowhouses on the north side of Cumberland, and I have a sinking feeling it will do for the street what the Eaton Centre did to that stretch of Yonge in the 1980s.

It will be a bit monolithic compared to the little rowhouses on the north side of Cumberland, and I have a sinking feeling it will do for the street what the Eaton Centre did to that stretch of Yonge in the 1980s.

Except you can say the same about Cumberland Terrace as it exists...

posted at the HomesandCondos blog at the Toronto Star......

Cumberland Terrace Mall Redevelopment Plan Receives Final Approval
View Comments 04 April 2011

Oxford Properties has received final approval from the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) to begin the redevelopment of The Cumberland Terrace Mall at 2 Bloor St. West.

The original plan was submitted in 2008, when Oxford Properties proposed to redevelop and rezone the aging mall into a new residential condominium. While the City approved the plan in February of 2010, some local business owners where concerned about the impact that the new towers would have on the area.

They took their concerns to the OMB.The Pilot Tavern – a restaurant and bar located to the north of the development on Cumberland Terrace – as well as a group of local owners (Morguard Investments Limited, Pension Fund Realty Limited and 60 Bloor Equities Inc,) all had concerns about the impact that this new development would have on the area .

The Pilot Tavern took issue with the proposed height of the podium, and the impact that it would have on the street. In response, 20 Cumberland Ltd. addressed these concerns by agreeing to set the podium further back, allowing more sunlight into the area. Morguard Investments Limited, Pension Fund Realty Limited and 60 Bloor Equities Inc. were more concerned with the underground pedestrian concourse that links many of the local businesses to a city-owned parking garage.

The approved plans did not specify that all links would be maintained in the new development. A settlement was reached between all interested parties. Another area of concern for neighbours was a shared public road between the local businesses and the proposed development on Cumberland Terrace. A private agreement was reached between the owners that will see the lane widened slightly to allow service access to the nearby properties.

The current plan for The Cumberland Terrace Mall will see two towers at 48 and 36 stories respectively. The towers will house over 400 residential units in total. The tower will sit on a three-storey podium that will house the development’s retail facilities, as well as a number of townhome units. 20 Cumberland Ltd. has hired B + H Architects to design the project.

Look to the Toronto Star’s NewInHomes.com for more information on this hot new development in the near future.

edit: note render.....

cumberlandterrace.jpg

http://homesandcondosblog.com/latest-news/cumberland-terrace-mall-redevelopment-plan-receives-final-approval-2070.html

Last edited:
^^ Yes, this less stumpy rendering looks MUCH better. So is the final design exactly like the above rendering? What a great, new project for Y & B.

Back