Toronto Corktown Common | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Maryann Thompson

The "completed" Sherbourne Common pavillion looks great! I'm anxious to see what the Don River Park pavillion will look like. Has anyone seen sketches? I couldn't find any on the WT website.

The pavilion is in the process of being cladded -- looking from the bike trail, it looks like wood in horizontal slats (as opposed to the zinc/aluminum cladding at Sherbourne Common.) A LOT of stonework/stairways/planting has been done as well. While a ways still from being finished, this is really starting to look great!

From June 2011 WT Newsletter:

Don River Park Construction Update

Construction of Don River Park, the massive 7.3 hectare (18 acre) park that will be a cornerstone of the West Don Lands, continues to move along on schedule.

Progress continues on the park’s pavilion. Work has begun on the installation of the building’s exterior wood siding, as well as the wood soffits on the building’s canopy. Drywall installation and work on the pavilion’s interior finishing have also commenced.

Landscape and infrastructure work to support the park is progressing. Work on underground services continues, and the concrete work to support the features in the marsh area such as the boardwalk and weir wall is complete. Construction of the marsh boardwalk, deck and curbs will commence soon.

In the water play area, the installation of the mechanical works and the concrete steps is underway. The water play area wood deck will begin shortly, followed by the installation of the pond liner.

The site area
102.jpg

But the water is on the wrong side? lol

Anyone have any more current shots from a similar vantage point? Very curious to see how it looks form above as of today (maybe they've moved the marsh lol)

Trees!!

FYI... Trees are being planted this week in the park. The pavilion structure looks mostly complete. Sadly I wasn't able to get photos from the GO Train.

BTW I couldn't believe this was all the way back on page 8! :)

The August WT Newslatter says:

Extensive work continues on the iconic Don River Park as park services including water lines, storm sewers, and sanitary sewer system are complete. The park's pavilion is almost complete as well. The final piece of the pavilion, the sliding wind-break system sheltering the outdoor fireplace, will be installed by the end of September.

Sub-soils to support the park’s planting are being installed and tree planting has begun. More than 700 varieties of deciduous and coniferous trees native to southern Ontario will create large forested pockets throughout the park. The extensive marsh area is also taking shape. Marsh plantings have been installed and water levels have been raised to final level. The marsh boardwalk deck and curbs are complete. The boardwalk handrails will be installed shortly.

Work continues to progress in the play areas. The layout is almost complete in the wet play area; the concrete slab is poured, which will be followed by the installation of equipment and rubber surfacing. In the dry play area the layout is also complete. The installation of playground equipment has begun and will be followed by slides and sand.
In River Square, the park’s urban square, stormwater services have been installed and sub-grades finalized. Light pole bases will be installed at River Square, after which planting and soil installation will follow.

This is making good progress..I am curious however about what is to happen to the actual edge of the Don as it seems pretty separated from the rest of the park.

p5

This is making good progress..I am curious however about what is to happen to the actual edge of the Don as it seems pretty separated from the rest of the park. p5

It's separated by the RAIL LINE (and in parts Bayview Avenue) but there is a new tunnel leading from south east of the Park to link up to the Don River Trail - it's there now but blocked off.

I agree the trail needs some work (repaving, minor widening and the like) but that's a City thing not a WT one.

Back