Toronto Corktown Common | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Maryann Thompson

I read something the other day that said Louis XVI was so stupid he couldn't figure how sex worked. That's why it took years before Marie Antoinette got pregnant.

The more I see the more excited I get.

This (the waterfront) could/should turn out to be fantastic!

Waterfront: Don River Park

Urban Toronto filled the front spot at the groundbreaking for Don River Park in the West Don Lands yesterday afternoon. Assembled stakeholders, politicos, and press gathered on the windswept berm, built to protect the Don River floodplain, straining to imagine the sprawling green space set to open in late 2011/early 2012.

Text by Doug Convoy Photos by Interchange42

DonRivPk1.jpg

Mayor David Miller pointed out the successful strategy along the waterfront of building spaces for people first, such as Canada’s Sugar Beach, and erecting buildings later, a strategy that will continue with the construction of this park.

DonRivPk5.jpg

DonRivPk4.jpg

Former Ottawa mayor and current Ontario Minister of Infrastructure Bob Chiarelli highlighted the Province’s $500 million contribution to Toronto’s waterfront revitalization while Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty spoke of Ottawa’s commitment to infrastructure development as a means of shoring up Canada’s economy amidst continued global economic uncertainty. Flaherty described recent progress on Toronto’s waterfront as ‘remarkable.’

DonRivPk3.jpg

From to left to right: Ontario Minister of Infrastructure Bob Chiarelli, Mayor David Miller, Waterfront Toronto Chair Mark Wilson, Federal Minister of Finance Jim Flaherty.

DonRivPk6.jpg

DonRivPk7.jpg

The gathering overlooking the grounds of the future Don River Park and the West Don Lands communities, including the athletes’ village for the 2015 Pan Am Games. Nineteen times the size of Dundas Square, the 3.2 hectare (7.9 acre), $26 million Don River Park is piggybacking on the essential floodplain berm designed to guard a wide swath of the city core, including the Financial District, against future Hurricane Hazel-type inundation.

DonRivPk2.jpg

Don River Park will include active play areas, a lawn, and a marsh and will connect the Don River Trail and the Martin Goodman Trail.

DonRivPkSiteMap.jpg

DonRivPk.jpg

DonRivPkLawn.jpg

Last edited:
Although on a much smaller scale, this Pan-Am Games project reminds me a lot of what London is doing for the 2012 Olympics. Clearly on a much smaller scale, but it is helping regenerate a formerly derelict industrial area. I think this park will be a big part of the legacy of the games. I know the plan WAS to get this done regardless, but the games are certainly acting as a big push

I hope they do some improvements on the don river trail. it is a mess currently, and could use some resurfacing, lighting, and cleaning of the river along there, which stinks when I run down there. With the DVP on one side and the train on the other, this always reminds me of how Toronto has turned its back on this river. I hope it can be rehabilitated and connected well to this new park.

Back