Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

Was just at the distillery on Monday for lunch - incredible place but I found the over all site of the district to be small. Are there any plans to extend this pedestrian, old Victorian style experience northward / east or west?

Well, it won't be 'old Victorian', but the West Don Lands portion of Mill Street will be a beautiful pedestrian promenade that will end at Don River Park. I expect that the park and River Square areas will feature restaurants and pubs with big patios, a la The Esplanade, as soon as some entrepreneurs can get their hands on the space.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_projects2/west_don_lands

I believe they have started putting up Balcony Glass this week. I haven't been in the area to see, but via Toronto Waterfront webcams, I can see a hit of it on the lower floors.

If anyone is in the area, snap some photos! :)

I was last in the Distillery District and I wanted to stop worrying and love the condos, but I can't, I just can't. I find it very difficult to enjoy the heritage when every view terminus is blocked by another glass tower. I find it takes away from the feel of the place. The first one (Pure Spirit) dominates the west end, but at least after it was built, one could gaze west and not feel clausterphobic.

After touring New York's High Line, there's nothing near this scale in places like Chelsea/Meatpacking District. Yes, there's modern glass boxes in the area, but for it being Manhattan, West Village and Chelsea aren't dominated by 30 to 50-floor condos.

Last edited:
Anyone know if how the third tower, Gooderham Condos, is progressing? It's been a while since there's been an update featuring it.

^^I was on the High Line last weekend. In addition to a couple that have already gone up, the north end, high 20s and 30s, is certainly about to have a number of high-rises, both condo and office (Hudson Yards among other things).

great observations there. I had the High Line on my list of places to check out last time I was in NYC but we ran out of time and had to skip it. What can you say, NYC and indeed America in general values it's heritage more than we do. Zoning laws seem to actually be followed there. We seems to be all about profit and have the cynical rulings of the OMB to support that.

I have not been to the Distillery since early October of last year when it was only the concrete frame of the first new tower that had any height so I cant comment as a direct comparison with what you observe there now. Would it be ideal if this district worked simply with it's heritage buildings? Yes. But from what I understand the developers need a certain return on this site to subsidize and justify keeping most of what was there. After the initial shock of the contrast of the first tower wore off it makes sense and I enjoy the stark contrast of architectural styles. I dont like the placement of the other 2 towers so close together, wish the 3 had been evenly spaced on the site. But for me the biggest criticism is that this area still feels as if it stands alone like an island disconnected from the rest of the city. Once the neighbouring blocks get built up - and it looks like they are to be more strictly mid-rise - I think that the continuity of the area will be much improved.

To each his own but I rather love the mash-up of styles here, and all the more so given the striking contrast between the more streamlined and modernist aA towers and the red-brick textured form of the heritage structures.

As for the height I feel the new construction gives definition to the historic core and acts as a beacon to it... and who really cares if they don't do this in NYC? Personally I'd be grateful that the urban built form should evolve differently and uniquely in Toronto and this blend of heritage with highrise is one of the more enlightened aspects of new development in this city when you think of Five condos, the Massy Tower and so many other examples. Huzzah, I say!

Yes I agree. One of Toronto's unique properties is its complete mish mash of buildings that don't necessarily belong together. Sets the city apart from many others, which I believe is a good thing.

I completely understand both views though.

Taken on Canada Day (July 1, 2012):

DSC02381.jpg

DSC02387.jpg

DSC02390.jpg

DSC02391.jpg

DSC02392.jpg

DSC02393.jpg

DSC02396.jpg

Podium of The Gooderham:
DSC02394.jpg

DSC02395.jpg

DSC02399.jpg