Toronto CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex | Francisco Gazitua

Excellent photos, thanks for posting these.

So ... it looks like you were able to get onto it. Is it unofficially open?

I actually like the yellow. I mean, I don't see what's awful about it - it's bright enough to provide a nice contrast and look good against a blue sky or a swath of brown and grey down by the tracks.

Yeah the yellow is fine, it makes the bridge feel light and safe. Run down black would make the design look epic, but it probably wouldn't inspire trust among residents (much like the Bathurst bridge doesn't, but worse). White would be a terrible choice given all the trains that pass underneath it, it'd always look incredibly dirty.

Should have taken pointers from Calatrava's Peace Bridge in Calgary. I wonder how much did this project cost.

AoD
There was an article from a newspaper linked earlier in this thread somewhere. I think it was a Calgary regional paper of some sort. Basically, they were comparing that bridge with the one here. If I remember correctly, much of the article was complaining that the bridge in Calgary cost much more than the bridge here. Also that Calgary's bridge is about 50% longer or thereabouts.

The city paid CN $500K for the air rights to be able to build it, but apparently the money itself came directly from the developer.

I just saw it a few days ago and thought the same thing... it's yellow, yet the colour doesn't stand out or provide contrast to anything because it's a powdery, pale yellow. A nice red colour or white would have been much nicer.

I disagree. From the images posted above, there is no contrast, but when viewed from the North along Front, or from the West on Bathurst, the contrast between the bridge and the dark Cityplace buildings in the background is amazing. Keep in mind that "No Shoes" (The sculpture between Luna and Montage) is red. The bridge also being red would be too much, and No Shoes would just blend in instead of popping as it currently does. White would also get dirty real quick, especially with the amount of dust that gets whipped up in this neighbourhood. The yellow will hide it quite well.

OOOOH,

And I don't think it has been mentioned or pictured here, but the bridge has blue night lighting. They look like blue LED lights that run along the entire span. Nothing dramatic though.

Last edited:
There was an article from a newspaper linked earlier in this thread somewhere. I think it was a Calgary regional paper of some sort. Basically, they were comparing that bridge with the one here. If I remember correctly, much of the article was complaining that the bridge in Calgary cost much more than the bridge here. Also that Calgary's bridge is about 50% longer or thereabouts.

The Calgary bridge is a single unsupported span, and if it's also 50% longer then it's no surprise it was much more costly. It's also much more elegant that our yellow donkey/banana.

It is very much a "Donkey Kong" bridge, but it serves an important purpose. I don't mind the looks of it myself.

When we talk about connections through Cityplace, its interesting to look at the area from Roundhouse park to Fort York using Google's aerial view. There is a lot of green space including Cityplace park in the middle. Are there any continous bicycle or jogging paths connecting the green areas?

When we talk about connections through Cityplace, its interesting to look at the area from Roundhouse park to Fort York using Google's aerial view. There is a lot of green space including Cityplace park in the middle. Are there any continous bicycle or jogging paths connecting the green areas?

There are two linear parks that run along Cityplace. The North Linear park runs under spadina and will continue right through to Fort York. It does not run to Roundhouse Park, and I dont believe the Southern Linear Park does either. (Not to mention that the South Linear Park does not cross Spadina)

When I viewed it, I didn't feel the yellow is a very nice contrast with the Cityplace buildings. I think a red colour matching it to the statues would have been nice. Perhaps white would get too dirty but ideally it would look nicer than this powder-yellow.

In fact, I don't mind yellow as a colour at all here- it's unique. I just wish it was a fuller, more brilliant yellow.

That's been my impression too by just viewing photographs here - a bolder, more brilliant yellow would have been better. But I don't dislike it as is.

There are two linear parks that run along Cityplace. The North Linear park runs under spadina and will continue right through to Fort York. It does not run to Roundhouse Park, and I dont believe the Southern Linear Park does either. (Not to mention that the South Linear Park does not cross Spadina)

There is, however, a trail at the south end of Brunel Ct that runs to Spadina just north of Lake Shore and continues east as far as Van de Water Cres. From there it's just a short stretch of sidewalk to the trail on the south side of Roundhouse Park. Not entirely direct or continuous, but it gets you there.

The bridge really addresses a need to open up the area between Bathurst and Spadina and between Front and Lake Shore other than by car. Front is still terrible for pedestrians and not much better on a bike, but with the bridge you'll be able to take a shortcut over to the dome/roundhouse area or continue on Dan Leckie to the waterfront.

I guess connecting Fort York Blvd on either side of Bathurst is still a way off, though.

Back