News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto Centre Federal By-election (cancelled)

Not much here for either the Liberals or Conservatives to crow about, IMO. Liberals won two "safe" seats in Toronto, with "star" candidates. It would have been extremely surprising, if they had not, although in all fairness it reflects well on Dion. Liberals just barely beat the Conservatives in what had been a pretty safe Liberal seat in Vancouver, which does not bode well for Dion in the West. Conservatives just barely beat the Liberals in Saskatchewan, in a seat which has swung back and forth for years.

More interesting, to me, is the latest poll in today's Globe and Mail, showing Cons. support at 38%, Lib. at 27%, NDP at 14%. These figures have remained pretty stable over many months now. As I said before, no one has much at all to gain from an election at this time, and I will be quite surprised if we have one before this fall at the earliest, and more likely later than that.

That's contrary to this poll in the Star/CP:

Tories, Liberals still deadlocked: Poll
Mar 18, 2008 11:33 AM
THE CANADIAN PRESS
OTTAWA – Another national poll suggests the Conservatives and the Liberals remain locked in a dead heat with little sign of momentum. The latest Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey had support for both the major federal parties flatlining at 32 per cent.

The NDP was at 17 per cent, the Bloc Quebecois nine and the Green party was at eight.

The telephone survey was conducted March 13 to 16, concluding the day before Monday's four federal byelections in which the Liberals retained three of four seats they had previously held and the Conservatives took one Saskatchewan riding.

Over its last three national polls of 1,000 interviews each, Harris-Decima has found Tory support hovering between 31 and 33 per cent. Liberal support has ranged from 29 to 32 per cent.

The polls are considered accurate within plus or minus 3.1 percentage points, 19 times in 20.

The surveys suggest Conservative support is falling in both Quebec and Ontario, and Harris-Decima president Bruce Anderson says that's bad news for the governing party.

Further analysis, the by-elections suggest an east-west divide is plaguing both the Conservatives and Liberals. The Liberals are holding strong in Ontario but losing ground in the West while the reverse applies to the Conservatives. The Tory vote collapsed in Toronto Centre and increased only marginally in Willowdale. But the Conservatives scored a surprise win in Saskatchewan's by-election and came within a hair of stealing Vancouver Quadra from the Liberals. Though poll numbers show concern in Ontario for the Conservatives. The more pessimistic view for the Liberals is when you get outside the City of Toronto, support is waning. Going into Monday's by-elections, many Liberals had been hoping they'd get enough of a bounce to vault them into a spring election. But the mixed results left Liberals torn, again, between toppling the government or continuing to prop it up, as they've done since last fall. Who makes the next move?

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/347679

Liberals, Conservatives tied in poll

Mar 19, 2008 04:30 AM

OTTAWA–A national poll suggests the Conservatives and the Liberals remain in a dead heat.

The latest Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey had support for both the major federal parties flatlining at 32 per cent. The NDP was at 17 per cent, the Bloc Québécois at 9, the Green party at 8.

The telephone survey was conducted last Thursday to Sunday.

Bruce Anderson, president of Harris-Decima, said yesterday that "any party looking for a reason to cause an election in these numbers will find it hard to locate one."

The last three national Harris-Decima polls, each with 1,000 interviews, found Tory support between 31 and 33 per cent and the Liberals at 29 to 32 per cent.

The latest poll found, in Ontario, Liberals lead with 43 per cent, with the Conservatives at 32, the NDP at 14 and the Greens at 9.

The poll is considered accurate within plus or minus 3.1 percentage points, 19 times in 20.

The Canadian Press

(just realized its the identical article that 299 quoted)

---

In my opinion, going on more than two years of power, the Conservatives haven't increased their lead by any amount and have peaked out their power. Liberals obviously aren't running huge margins of support, but the fact is the Conservatives have no mandate what-so-ever to win a national election.

If Dion can stand strong and run a passionate election the Liberals might end up toppling this Conservative minority. And to be honest, the only party that seems to be gaining support is the Greens MOSTLY at the demise of the NDP.

The only Liberal losses seem to be a few votes going to the Greens, and I theorize the Green party is starting to max out support in a lot of ridings. When the feeling that voting Green is a vote for Conservatives sets in, that's when the Liberals will win another majority government.

It could easily happen this spring, and it could easily not happen. But voters have to be given a chance to vote.

Good news for Tories in vote results
March 19, 2008
Chantal Hébert
Toronto Star

OTTAWA–If the city of Toronto could determine the outcome of the next federal election, Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion would be prime minister before Canada Day. But it cannot and what the tea leaves of Monday's four federal by-elections really suggest is that a majority Conservative government could be around the corner of a spring campaign.

From that angle, Bob Rae and Martha Hall Findlay, who romped to victory in Toronto Centre and Willowdale on Monday night, are but the best faces that the Liberals could put on an apprehended defeat in a general election. (read full column)

Chantal Hebert certainly has an opinion, but I don't see how the Conservatives would significantly win anything. All the polls and data indicate they wouldn't end up with anything more than they have, and they have a good chance of losing support and Canada ending up with another Liberal minority government in where the Liberals and NDP would have to form another coalition to get things done.

That's honestly where I see a spring election ending up: a Liberal-NDP minority coalition government.

The entire reason the Tories were given a chance, remember Canada "gave them a chance" not because of an upswell in Tory support, it was because of the "endless scandal" of Liberals when the media went on and on and on and on about sponsorship for a year or two and then the RCMP released a mini-scandal DAYS before the election (if that wasn't politically motivated, I don't know what is). Now that the Tories have been caught doing the same pay-for-play politics game over and over the general population is in no mood to hand them another government.

Canadians I think are seeing that while the Liberals weren't perfect, they did a good job, and a byelection with poor voter turnout isn't that indicative of how "strong" the Tories are, as Hebert makes her claim.

Dion just needs to grow a little spine and use some courage into a Spring Election.

The only party I see gaining support is the Greens, and the Green party is pulling support from all three parties: old Progressives left out of the Conservative party have an attraction to the Greens, certain Liberals have been crossing, and a good bit of NDP support has went Green. The Liberals tend to lose the least from Green support. But at the same time, this support comes from people being dissatisfied from the NDP or what has become of the new Tories, not that the Green party really has a super strong swell of genuine support.

The key is how Canadians feel about their vote strategically. If people feel like their voting Green will enable a Tory government or a possible majority, see the Green party vote die significantly and see an upswell in Liberal votes. If people are still in a malaise about the Liberal sponsorship scandal, I think we'll see pretty much the same.

Anything can happen in a full election, so don't count it out. Eventually people are going to get over the sponsorship episode because the Liberals admitted to it, Paul Martin for all intents and purposes tried to correct that mistake in a very public way, and instead of the public rewarding the party they threw them out.

The Liberals opened up an inquiry and opened up the wound when they could have covered the scandal up. In my eyes, that isn't that bad of a record.

The one thing I do wonder about is NDP support. It appears to be drying up as the Greens gain support, and for the life of me I can't figure out why the Green party is as attractive as it is. Isn't Jim Harris a former Progressive Conservative? Why NDP'ers would switch to a former PC clan guy is beyond me.

Chantal Hebert certainly has an opinion, but I don't see how the Conservatives would significantly win anything. All the polls and data indicate they wouldn't end up with anything more than they have, and they have a good chance of losing support and Canada ending up with another Liberal minority government in where the Liberals and NDP would have to form another coalition to get things done.
Chantal is surprisingly bang-on with her assessments. Easily one of the smartest commentators out there. I think what she is saying is that the Conservatives were the only party to gain a seat in this by-election and if you add that to any momentum they could get out of well-run general election campaign and they could find themselves quickly in majority territory. Yes, lots of ifs, ands and buts on the way though.

The one thing I do wonder about is NDP support. It appears to be drying up as the Greens gain support, and for the life of me I can't figure out why the Green party is as attractive as it is. Isn't Jim Harris a former Progressive Conservative? Why NDP'ers would switch to a former PC clan guy is beyond me.
Yes, but Harris isn't the leader now and Harris was part of the "Prgressive" Conservatives, not the current PC-Reform-Alliance thingy. There is a bit of a difference there. The NDP are actually (arguably) better on the green file than the Greens, but other things tend to bog-down the NDP's chances. Layton's been a fairly good leader and is always optimistic, but people still see the party somewhat as a relic of idealogues.

I also find Chantal Hebert to be astute. I see her occasionally on a panel on the CBC and she seems to have an ability to cut through the excess verbiage and get to the salient points. Here, she correctly (IMO) points out that the so-called Cadman affair has pretty much fizzled. It was never anywhere near to the Liberal payola situation in Quebec prior to the last election, and I think people have seen that. As she points out, if it doesn't seem to resonate much in Cadman's home territory of B.C., I don't think it will ever gain any real traction in the rest of the country.

I'm not quite as sure as she seems to be that the Conservatives are on a roll. I see them as basically stalled in the mud with little momentum, but the good news for them is that the same is true of the Liberals.

A possible situation that could blow up in Harper's face: the Canadian woman who has been stuck in the Mexican jail for the past two years. This finally seems to be residing on the front pages. If Harper can't get it resolved, and soon, it will be a difficult one for him to wear. The man on the street will pay far more attention to this than to whether Cadman was offered a life insurance policy.

I openly admit to not wanting to hear the Tories having any success, and its a personal bias I can't ignore. So I'm not wanting to discount Chantal's assessment, as I have seen her for years on CBC specials and discussions and she does have a strong opinion.

I'd be silly to not accept her opinion as I didn't grow up in Canadian politics and have a harder time understanding the concepts, but the polls do suggest the Tories really don't have an upswell of support. Those are some facts that also can't be denied.

I can't see the Tories surging to any level of real support.

Yes, but Harris isn't the leader now and Harris was part of the "Prgressive" Conservatives, not the current PC-Reform-Alliance thingy. There is a bit of a difference there.

And if we channel ourselves back to the mid-80s and even before, well, the PCs were truly a valid parking spot for, well, proto-Richard-Florida types. (Remember David Crombie?)

As an Ottawa based government relations consultant, I regularly advise clients on how various political developments including legislative or regulatory policies intersect with their interests.

Below is the generic version of the note on the by-elections I held the pen on and was sent to various clients and other stakeholders, including the desks of several ambassadors and staff within several diplomatic missions in Canada.

Prime Minister Harper’s strategy to call simultaneous by-elections in four vacant ridings, all previously held by the Liberal Party was considered by many pundits to be risky. If the by-election results favoured the Opposition, it could create momentum for a spring 2008 election. Given the outcome of yesterday’s by-elections, we believe the collective appetite of the Liberals and the NDP for a federal election this spring has diminished.

Interpreting the By-Elections: Victories and Near Disasters
Heading into the St. Patrick’s Day by-elections, no federal political figure in Canada was more invested in the outcome than Liberal leader Stéphane Dion. Amid media speculation that caucus support for the Liberal leader was low, and compounded by publicly visible capitulations to the government on extending the Afghanistan mission (with conditions), the criminal justice package, and the 2008 Budget, Stéphane Dion was hoping for a little luck of the Irish.

The by-elections were called by the Prime Minister following the retirement of four Liberal MPs, three of whom were high profile Ministers in previous Liberal administrations. Up for grabs were two seats in Toronto previously held by the Hon. Bill Graham and the Hon. Jim Peterson; the riding of Vancouver Quadra, previously represented by the Hon. Stephen Owen; and the northern Saskatchewan riding of Desnethé-Missinippi-Churchill River, which in the last decade has been held by the Conservatives, the New Democrats, and most recently by the Liberals.

Toronto Centre and Willowdale: Liberals hold steady, NDP hemorrhages
In Toronto Centre, Liberal leadership candidate and former Ontario NDP Premier Bob Rae won a decisive victory capturing 59 per cent of the vote. While the victory was predicted, what was remarkable to observers was the strong finish of the Green candidate at 13.6 per cent and the weak display by the NDP at 13.8 per cent. In 2006 the NDP finished with 24 per cent in Toronto Centre, while the Greens drew five per cent.

In the Toronto riding of Willowdale, another former Liberal leadership candidate, Martha Hall Findlay, cruised to victory in an equally predictable fashion. However, once again the NDP saw its support fall while the fortunes of the Green Party rose. NDP support fell from 11.4 per cent in 2006 to four per cent, while Green support increased from four to nearly six per cent.

Desnethé-Missinippi-Churchill River: Return to Conservative FoldConservative prospects were highest in the Saskatchewan riding, which was won in 2006 by the Liberals by the razor thin margin of 67 votes and was, at that time, the focus of allegations of voting irregularities. This time the riding turned heavily toward the Conservative candidate, Rob Clarke, an Aboriginal Canadian and a 17-year veteran of the RCMP, who handily defeated Liberal candidate Joan Beatty, a former provincial New Democrat who was hand-picked by Mr. Dion. The Conservatives captured 48 per cent of the vote compared to the Liberals at 31.5 per cent.

Ms. Beatty's campaign was troubled from the start. Mr. Dion chose to bypass the nomination process to appoint her as his chosen candidate, a move that angered local supporters of another contender for the nomination, David Orchard, who played a role in Mr. Dion's leadership victory. The Liberals knew the riding was vulnerable, but the decisiveness of the victory for a relative unknown and inexperienced candidate over a well-seasoned hand-picked star was not widely speculated.

This is the second time that Mr. Dion has bypassed the nomination process to appoint a “star candidate†and had the move backfire. Last summer Mr. Dion was criticized by some Quebec Liberals for his decision to name Jocelyn Coulon the candidate in the Liberal stronghold of Outremont. Mr. Coulon was handily defeated by the NDP challenger.

Vancouver-Quadra: Liberals Stave off Conservative Surge
While the Conservative victory in Saskatchewan was not unexpected, the near loss by the Liberals in Vancouver-Quadra caught many by surprise. Our intelligence obtained before the by-election indicated that Quadra was the focus of intense Conservative campaigning. Moreover, the Conservatives were using the by-election in Vancouver to test the effectiveness of their efforts to build support with non-traditional Conservative voters.

Liberal candidate Joyce Murray, a former B.C. environment minister won the seat but finished only 151 votes ahead of University of British Columbia Law Professor Deborah Meredith, the Conservative candidate. The by-election result was a massive shift from the federal election in 2006 when the Liberal’s Stephen Owen had a 21 per cent lead over his Tory rival. In addition to the shift in support to the Tories, the Green Party scored a moral victory, capturing 13.5 per cent of the vote, an increase from five per cent in the 2006 election. New Democratic support dropped to a virtual tie with the Greens.

Election Calculus
Any chance for a federal election hinges on the presence of a united Opposition. Currently, those conditions do not exist. The poor showing in Vancouver-Quadra coupled with the loss in Saskatchewan may have tempered any Liberal desire to take down the Conservative minority in the very near future. Internally the Liberals continue to suffer from poor organization in Quebec and problems in attracting political donations.

Similarly, the Liberals may decide that given the recent economic uncertainty in Central Canada, their fortunes could improve by delaying an election and letting the Conservatives wear any fall-out caused by a potential recession.

For Liberals, the loss in Saskatchewan and erosion of support in Vancouver-Quadra will be disheartening. Nevertheless, the Liberals can claim some sense of victory with Rae, Findlay and Murray joining Dion’s front bench.

Moreover, given the pact between Mr. Dion and Green Party leader, Elizabeth May, the strong numbers for the Green Party relative to the NDP could auger well for the Liberals in a future election.

The arrangement forged last summer between Mr. Dion and Ms. May to not run candidates against each other in the leader’s ridings was initially panned by some Liberal insiders and mocked by many in the media. However, support for Green candidates could migrate to Liberals during an election campaign, given that the two parties have essentially validated each other as suitable alternatives to one another.

Since the Liberals are the most likely of the two to form a government, this potential migration in support would be more likely to benefit Liberal candidates in tightly contested ridings where Green supporters may be willing to shift allegiances to thwart a Conservative victory.

The poor performance by the NDP in the by-elections should also make them risk adverse. Based on current levels of support measured in recent polls the NDP could potentially lose 10 to 15 seats in its 30 member caucus.

Arguably, the biggest winners were the Conservatives who had been careful to keep expectations low and repeatedly point out that all four seats being contested were the Liberals' to lose. Accordingly the win in Saskatchewan and near upset in Vancouver-Quadra will be positioned as a sign of success by supporters of Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

While the prospects of an election have diminished substantially, the Opposition parties still have eight more Supply Days to use before June 23. It is always open to the Opposition to use a Supply Day to introduce a motion of non-confidence in the government, as was done in the fall of 2005 to defeat the Martin government. Supply Days have been allocated for each of the first three days when the House of Commons returns on March 31.

Nevertheless, encouraged by recent events the Conservatives may decide to launch bolder and more daring policy initiatives that heretofore were unpalatable to the Opposition. Likewise, it is reasonable to expect no change whatsoever in the Conservative strategy of governing as if they held a majority.

The Liberals will never form a coalition with the NDP. That would give the NDP a legitimacy it otherwise does not have at the federal level. Worse, the goings-on of Jack and his pals would work against the Liberals, making the Conservatives look level-headed.

Such a marriage ain't gonna happen.

Incidentally, I just got back from Ottawa where a couple of friends with Liberal connections told me that they are worried that their party could possibly lose every seat they have in Easters Ontario - save for two: Kingston and Ottawa-Vanier. I find this prediction quite dire; but boy, are they ever nervous about the thought.

Back