Toronto Burano | ?m | 48s | Lanterra | a—A

0b9ecd4d.gif

April 25
The hording was been removed as I was passing and should all removed now.
6979839376_88c6fb21c3_b.jpg

6979840444_1934035a5e_b.jpg

7125924103_7f52a69599_b.jpg

7125957507_ea65778482_b.jpg

7125955611_a4edac86d1_b.jpg

I love the almost 2D effect you get while viewing this building from some angles. Due to the trapezoidal shape, as seen two photos above, it looks paper thin from a southwest vantage point. It's very surreal, as your mind expects to see another side to the building.

I completely dig what the did with the roof/mechanical of this building. the (what is now a skeleton) on the north-eastish top portion of the building is perfect. something about it... i actually kinda wish they left that skeleton unclad. i think it looks good. the way the building is angled in combination with elevation one corner of the top is a killer combo.

Looks great. And the roof actually looks like something other than a mechanical box, which is refreshing. This and Murano have turned out great! I love how they incorporated the old Addison on Bay showroom so well. I'm usually a hater of recent Toronto architecture, but I think Lanterra really accomplished something great here.

Great pictures too! Thanks!

*I had to add this edit after looking at that aerial photo above. I still think the classic, art-deco style will always be the crown-jewel of skyscraper architecture. Is it just me, or does 1 St. Thomas look better than anything else in that photo?*

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does 1 St. Thomas look better than anything else in that photo?*

It's not just you. 1 St Thomas is my favourite tower in that cluster. I just wish it was 10 or 15 stories taller. It has shape and style, it's not grey or all glass. Too bad there are not more of them in this style. (let the hounds of derision be released)

I will add my voice in saying that I think One St. Thomas is easily the best looking tower in that photo, followed by Casa, Four Seasons and the Met.

I love it too and I also wish it was twice as high!
Murano, Burano & Lumiere have really helped upper Bay Street in the last few years, now with the stunning Sick Kids Hospital Research building going up along with U condos and Motion coming soon, things are looking up along this stretch.

Finally, a mechanical box that didn't miss the mark... This turned out great, and the historical podium building looks fantastic too. I'm hoping they get some good variation of retail instead of the usual Subway, Starbucks and a dry cleaner.

Back