Toronto Burano | ?m | 48s | Lanterra | a—A

A car dealership? Is that a joke? That's the last thing that should go here. I hope it's something that serves the community, like a grocery store or a restaurant. And hopefully several, diverse, smaller stores, rather than one monolithic suburban banality.

I thought about a grocery store too initially but College Park already has 2 (Metro & Sobeys) and Loblaws MLG another block away. More unique shops would always be a plus for the Bay canyon ghost town.

Yeah, that's true. I just dearly hope it's not one of the clichés of new condominiums, like a bank or Shoppers Drug Mart (I suppose there can't be another Starbucks here because there's one across the street, but I guess anything is possible with the Starbucks plague).

(I suppose there can't be another Starbucks here because there's one across the street, but I guess anything is possible with the Starbucks plague).

And that Starbuck's is so far away - being across the street. There really needs to be one on the west side of Bay.

I, for one, hope that it will be a car dealership. An exotic one, at that. It would make the area a lot nicer, especially with all the glass allowing people on the sidewalk to see inside. There are plenty of other projects going up in the area that have the opportunity to incorporate small, tacky stores.

A car dealership? Is that a joke? That's the last thing that should go here. I hope it's something that serves the community, like a grocery store or a restaurant. And hopefully several, diverse, smaller stores, rather than one monolithic suburban banality.

A car dealership would go quite well with the older building that was restored as part of the podium.

Actually, I kinda could see a Mini or Smart dealer in that space.

Whoever goes into the space will have great visibility on Bay, so I could also see some kind of flagship retail going in. Somehow I just can't see it being cut up for the Subway/Dry Cleaner/Starbucks combo

They really need something other than a small chain. One can only hope for a decent restaurant to replace Bistro 990, there is absolutely no where to eat on Bay these days.

IMG3218-L.jpg

From my office window, it looks like the crane is down.

It went down over the weekend.

The jib has been very busy putting the steel framing at the top as well other things.

I think it is a lost opportunity to match the windows on the second floor, although I don't remember what the windows were like before. I suppose it is somewhat similar, although green instead of gray would have worked better.

From the Toronto archives (1930):

s0071_it7582.jpg

Frameless glass (no mullion strips) or having the old "transom" to in the upper part of the ground level to match the windows above would have made the first floor less jarring.

I'm still just really thrilled that they kept this building and used the right style of windows on the second floor. Bay Street could not afford to lose a rare piece of history.

Back