Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

My 'fear' is that the lawn area and the planted areas will become shit centres for dogs and turn to muck like so many of our parks. I do not blame the dogs either. Little patches pf grass do not do well in such an urban environment. This style of park needs to be 'bullet proof' so to speak to handle the masses. Having said all that I do like the overall design and look forward to seeing the park finished and everyone enjoying it.

Dundas Square is CIVIC property but managed by an 'arms length' group. This from City website:

Yonge-Dundas Square is a public square, community gathering place and event venue for the general public. The City established the Board of Yonge-Dundas Square to engage the Downtown Yonge BIA and other stakeholders in the management of the square to draw the public into this business area.

The Yonge-Dundas Square Board of Management manages, operates, controls and maintains the activities of the facility as an outdoor public square on behalf of City Council.

Follow this link for information on the Board governance structure for the Yonge-Dundas Square Board of Management.

The mission of the Board of Yonge-Dundas Square is to responsibly manage Yonge-Dundas Square and enhance the vitality of downtown Toronto; to launch, promote and operate the Square as a unique public space, borne from the passion of the community and the energy of commercial participation, so as to develop a positive perception by way of its activities, security, and cleanliness.

That might be its mandate but it doesn't qualify as public space. It's controlled by that board which dictates what happens there and who can be in the square. Those it doesn't want are removed by security. Calling it public doesn't make it so.

That might be its mandate but it doesn't qualify as public space. It's controlled by that board which dictates what happens there and who can be in the square. Those it doesn't want are removed by security. Calling it public doesn't make it so.

It's definitely more public than private - esp. considering the space is owned by the city. It's public (or quasi-public) in the way ABCs (agencies, boards, committees) are.

AoD

Back to Berczy - where they finished laying the rest of the sod this morning and are well on the way to finishing the brickwork on Scott Street. Looking good and I assume the rest of the dogs are in the paint shop and should be up soon. (Apart from the dogs I think the fountain is finished, all the internal tiling seems to be complete.)

Another LARGE pack of dogs has arrived at Berczy and they are being added to the fountain. No sign yet (I think) of the larger ones who will sit guard ON the plaza just outside the fountain - to scare off the dreaded cats! (Brickwork at Scott is drawing to a close, it should be done today I would say.)

looking great. I hate to bring this up again but after just reading 2+ pages of whether the park is pronounced "bear-chi" or "bur-zee" or whatever. I am SHOCKED, because I have only ever heard it called "burk -sea" by pedestrians and also as such in history class, so now I am very confused. I look forward to people calling this "THE Dog Park" and nothing else ever again.

Last edited:
Regardless of how you say his name, he was also a painter and did some really great stuff (only reason I know who he is) He did some cool portraits of First Nations people.

Was taking some pics this afternoon, and the workers invited me inside to snap some more, with hard hat and accompaniment by one worker of course. The worker was quite chatty and informed me of some interesting developments. See below.... :)

The view from one of the western grassy knolls...

B1.jpg

B2.jpg
B3.jpg

Scattered light bollards (dark grey posts) over eastern portion of the park.

B4.jpg

'Pee' gravel in eastern portion, for, um, doggy pee. This is the doggy rest area. Wee sprinklers scattered throughout this area to allegedly help cleanse said gravel (colourful flags indicate their location in following pic).

B5.jpg

The final grassy knoll.

B6.jpg
B7.jpg

B8.jpg

These pedestals with attached hoses are surely the doggy perches within the fountain.

B9.jpg

More doggies on display...(so apparently there may be a bit of a delay on more doggies coming, as the painter is on vacation).

B10.jpg

The plot thickens. A tale of two cats...

B11.jpg

So allegedly, big white kitty will not cavort in the fountain. His little furry brown friend will, however.
Apparently the big white Tom will oversee the park from atop the electrical box in the southwest corner!

B12.jpg

Fountain kitty was lovingly put away at the end of the day.

B13.jpg

B14.jpg

The southwest corner is nearing completion...

B15.jpg

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 834
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 836
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 801
  • B4.jpg