Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

William Berczy was not named that at birth in Germany, his name was Johann Albrecht Ulrich Moll.
I'm guessing that if a person changes their name that much when coming to a new and relatively unsettled land, there were some pretty compelling reasons.

I'm guessing that if a person changes their name that much when coming to a new and relatively unsettled land, there were some pretty compelling reasons.
Yes, names are often changed to make the pronunciation easier for his/her new neighbours. (And were often phonetic interpretations made by the initial immigration officer.) Clearly not the reason here as Moll seems easier to pronounce than Berczy!

I figure if someone goes to a new frontier and completely changes their name, they really don't want to be found by people they've left. And he sounds like the kind of guy who might need to avoid people he formerly knew.

Taken this morning...

Numerous 'portals' visible...perhaps for water flow?

Bernzy1.jpg

Fresh gravelly base on the eastern side of the park. Nice to see lots of mulch spread all over the new beds as well.

Bernzy2.jpg

Toronto's longest bench.

Bernzy3.jpg

...taken from the spot where the silva cells were being installed just a few days ago.

Bernzy4.jpg

Attachments

• Bernzy1.jpg
    Bernzy1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,161
  • Bernzy2.jpg
    Bernzy2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,233
  • Bernzy3.jpg
    Bernzy3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,178
  • Bernzy4.jpg
    Bernzy4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,186
I don't post often but thank you everyone for the great photos on this thread and others. They're much appreciated. This park is shaping up beautifully and it's interesting to see how much work goes into a project like this.

I can't get over how well executed this project is. I find myself looking at these updates wondering if I'm even looking at a Toronto park.
Sommerville are one of the better contractors (often used by WT too) and Claude Cormier has been on site frequently to keep an eye on things and deal with any necessary adjustments. It does look great and I suspect they will be laying the rest of the sod later today or tomorrow and finishing off Scott Street by early next week.

My dog Q (pictured left) was devastated the day I informed her that this incredible dog-themed park is being built for people, and not for dogs (WHAT??), and that none of the 27 dog statues will be a Yorkie (WHAT??). Yeah, that's the reaction I got from her. Notwithstanding, I think Q intends to christen the park anyway.

Last edited:

Back