Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

Walked through on Wednesday on my way to lunch. Really beautiful. Some observations:

1. The raised park/gravel under the mural is very nice and a much better feature than the sunken cement benches, but it's not an off-leash area at all. I hope dog owners treat it with respect, but I'm skeptical.

2. The walkway straight out the doors from 33 Yonge has been grassed over, but not raised. They'll need a fence, or that'll be a dirt path by June.

3. Fran's all of a sudden has one of the best patios downtown, and this'll really enhance the Flatiron pub's patio as well.

Yes the dog area is good but will dog owners be responsible? I too am skeptical!

There will be a large children's play sculpture in the middle of the grass 'walkway' opposite exit from 33 Yonge. I think this will act as a deterrent to this becoming a passageway. It is being fabricated and will be installed before the fence is removed. I guess we will see if it works!

In 2017 there will be street work on Wellington that will improve the Flatiron sidewalls on all sides, including Front. See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2016.TE20.44 This will further improve the Flatiron Pub's patio.

There will be a large children's play sculpture in the middle of the grass 'walkway' opposite exit from 33 Yonge. I think this will act as a deterrent to this becoming a passageway. It is being fabricated and will be installed before the fence is removed. I guess we will see if it works!

In 2017 there will be street work on Wellington that will improve the Flatiron sidewalls on all sides, including Front. See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2016.TE20.44 This will further improve the Flatiron Pub's patio.

Thanks for that -- a play area will definitely be a great addition and will work really well as a deterrent.

It's great that the sidewalks in front of the Flatiron will be redone in 2017. With any luck, they won't suffer any utility cuts until 2018.

Walked through on Wednesday on my way to lunch. Really beautiful. Some observations:

1. The raised park/gravel under the mural is very nice and a much better feature than the sunken cement benches, but it's not an off-leash area at all. I hope dog owners treat it with respect, but I'm skeptical.

2. The walkway straight out the doors from 33 Yonge has been grassed over, but not raised. They'll need a fence, or that'll be a dirt path by June.

3. Fran's all of a sudden has one of the best patios downtown, and this'll really enhance the Flatiron pub's patio as well.

I understand your skepticism or apprehension, but my practice and advice to all, being an owner of two dogs and a soon-to-be Park neighbour, is simply speak up if you encounter an inconsiderate dog owner. Remind them to pick up after their dog. Nothing else needs to be said.

I'd also suggest the new Berczy will fast become a huge tourist magnet, selfie heaven, pups in tow, and as such likely have less issues than other parks because of the novel nature of the design. The vast majority of dog owners are as conscientious as an ex-smoker when it comes to poor social behaviour. We never hesitate to bark when required.

Encouraged by a quick look yesterday. Was fearful that the doggie fountain would be eye-damaging kitsch. Now reassured. It's kitsch all right, but of a quality that works for me, at least for the time being. Loved the mosaic of paving stones, or what I could see of them through the accumulated snow. And the new geometry of the park nicely displays the mural on the Gooderham building, which I have admired from Day One. Playful and witty.

Here's how the fountain looked a couple of days ago:

IMG_1301.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 437
I overlook the park from the Berczy condo just across from the Flatiron building. I've been seeing a lot of skateboarders using the two raised wooden surfaces as part of their routines. It's just a matter of a short time before they are all gouged and scratched up. So inconsiderate. This is art...furniture, and they are skateboarding on it. I would hope the city (or architect) takes a look and adds some metal molding strips to these two features. Unfortunately this seem to be necessary all over downtown to keep skateboarders off flat surfaces.

I overlook the park from the Berczy condo just across from the Flatiron building. I've been seeing a lot of skateboarders using the two raised wooden surfaces as part of their routines. It's just a matter of a short time before they are all gouged and scratched up. So inconsiderate. This is art...furniture, and they are skateboarding on it. I would hope the city (or architect) takes a look and adds some metal molding strips to these two features. Unfortunately this seem to be necessary all over downtown to keep skateboarders off flat surfaces.

Took it upon myself to share your comment/concern with the SLNA (St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Assoc.) www.slna.ca hoping they can champion your suggestion. It's a good one.

Took it upon myself to share your comment/concern with the SLNA (St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Assoc.) www.slna.ca hoping they can champion your suggestion. It's a good one.
The SLNA and City are aware of this and it is hoped that 'something will be done' in the spring. And here is the answer from the City as of today! "We are installing clips to deter skateboarding. I don't have a firm date as yet, but hope it is within four weeks." "Spring" seems to be early this year!

Last edited:
I have some bad but totally predictable news to report. Yesterday I saw skateboarders in the park, scraping their boards along the platforms and when I walked over to take a closer look, sure enough, the wooden platform is scratched up, as are some of the park benches. I got into an argument with the skate boarders when I told them off but they said it was their park too and they will use it any way they want, even if it damages the park!

Funny thing is, I called Pam McConnell's office just a few days ago, asking why there is no anti-skateboarding measures taken, with regards to the furniture, especially the wooden platforms and nobody there had an answer. Does her office not realize this happens in almost all our parks?

It pains me to spend millions of dollars on this great park, only to see it getting scratched up even before it is officially open!

I have some bad but totally predictable news to report. Yesterday I saw skateboarders in the park, scraping their boards along the platforms and when I walked over to take a closer look, sure enough, the wooden platform is scratched up, as are some of the park benches. I got into an argument with the skate boarders when I told them off but they said it was their park too and they will use it any way they want, even if it damages the park!

Funny thing is, I called Pam McConnell's office just a few days ago, asking why there is no anti-skateboarding measures taken, with regards to the furniture, especially the wooden platforms and nobody there had an answer. Does her office not realize this happens in almost all our parks?

It pains me to spend millions of dollars on this great park, only to see it getting scratched up even before it is officially open!

It does, though thankfully it's just wood - won't be difficult to repair. Can you imagine them scratching up the granite fountain?

AoD

From today. Saw five different people taking pics of the dog fountain.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 497
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg