Guelph Baker District Redevelopment | ?m | 15s | WDG | DTAH

Baker District takes next step, but downtown businesses not happy with reduction in parking

Baker and upper Wyndham lots to close Oct. 1 and new parking when the project is completed will be less than initially planned

Jul 22, 2021

Baker District takes next step, but downtown businesses not happy with reduction in parking

Baker and upper Wyndham lots to close Oct. 1 and new parking when the project is completed will be less than initially planned

Jul 22, 2021

The whining about parking is irksome.

The answer is to approve more residential intesnifcation in the area; and improve local transit service.

Eventually Guelph's mainline N-S connecting downtown to the University should be an LRT; and it should have BRT linking it to K-W in addition to GO Service (and maybe just a rail shuttle that can run Guelph to K-W).

Last edited:
They have three big parking garages downtown. Wilson St. Macdonell Street right in the heart of the dining district. Plus another parking garage further down Macdonell street at the Sleeman Centre. And also a small public parking lot on Wyndam, plus all the on street parking. Unless a major event is on, i highly doubt parking is a problem downtown Guelph.

It’s truly unclear to me how the businesses decided that parking was an issue. This seems more like a reaction to change.

It’s truly unclear to me how the businesses decided that parking was an issue. This seems more like a reaction to change.

People complain about vehicular parking in almost every mid-large-scale development application completely regardless of fact, circumstance, or evidence. It's generally a really good idea for planners and councillors (et al) to completely ignore people moaning about vehicular parking (with a very few exceptions).

Two immediate anecdotes (both of which are actually backed by data that disproves the moaners) come to mind: business owners whining about the Bloor St. bike lanes, and homeowners whining about parking on my own residential street.

In the former case, one of the most vocal business owner opponents to the Bloor lanes was the guy who owns Fresh on Bloor, who undertook a concerted campaign (which cause some of his own employees to speak out against him and at least a couple to quit) to whip up other local business owners in opposition to them. Though this of course wasn't his publicly stated concern, it turns out he was mostly pissed off that he would no longer be able to park his own personal vehicle literally in front of his restaurant (a spot which was almost always open).

In the latter instance, a number of my neighbours staunchly opposed the installation of new traffic calming measures that were eventually installed last year because of what they claimed was a "parking epidemic" on our street. The City held a number of consultations on the project, to which they of course brought data showing that the parking capacity on our street was operating at about 70% of the supply, and that the demand had been falling steadily for years (I live in the neighbourhood with one of the lowest vehicular mode shares in the city). I've also overheard a number of people complaining about it aloud on the street, the last instance being last week where one of them uttered the golden nugget that perfectly encapsulates the actual problem -- she said "it's just ridiculous that I'm not able to park out front of my house."

All is to say, there's rarely ever actually a parking problem; the issue is one of entitlement. A hundred years of car marketing and mythologizing, combined with decades of political pandering and auto-centric decision-making, has told people that cars = freedom and that any affront thereto is an act of heresy to be righteously fought against. It really sucks, and really the only path forward is for decision makers to stop listening to -- or, better yet, even asking -- people what they think about parking.

All is to say, there's rarely ever actually a parking problem; the issue is one of entitlement. A hundred years of car marketing and mythologizing, combined with decades of political pandering and auto-centric decision-making, has told people that cars = freedom and that any affront thereto is an act of heresy to be righteously fought against. It really sucks, and really the only path forward is for decision makers to stop listening to -- or, better yet, even asking -- people what they think about parking.

As it pertains to on-street parking, a key remains raising prices, significantly, to fair market value, such that demand is reduced substantially.
As that occurs, the object it then to remove the surplus capacity through cycle tracks, through adding tree-lined boulevards, and through dedicating spaces for delivery vehicles/movers, and carshare vehicles.
That then supports a further increase price, and reduction in demand. Followed to its logical conclusion you get a far less car-centric world view than you have today.

To exemplify this, a quick search reveals to me, that in Little Italy, a market-rate, monthly parking spot goes for $150 per month. Permit fees from the City range from $17 - $75 per month.
If we eliminated the middle category (which is have a parking space but want a permit in addition to that) and priced that with the top tier, that would be a good first move, along with doubling the entry level price.
Then phase them to a single market price over 5 years.

In respect of parking along major streets, I'd like to see a lot of that phased out, beginning with downtown; but where it remains, prices need to rise to something more comparable to the rates one sees in commercial garages.

TD centre charges $5 every 20min or $15 per hour to the daily maximum.

You can park for 1/3 that price nearby on a City street at $5 per hour.

I would argue for a floor rate of $4 per hour rising to $8 where demand warrants (then indexed to inflation)

Man this project is gorgeous. Wish KW could attract developments like this. Also this region needs HSR asap, it would do wonders. sadly that seems like a pipe dream

Screenshot_20211012-151427_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211012-151436_Instagram.jpg

Lots more renders can be found here for more context.

Really exciting development overall as I'm expecting the quality to be above average from the others we've seen. I'm often in Guelph and enjoy the downtown a lot more than other local cities as the architecture and scale is great.

Construction start in late 2023 feels a little far away though.

Guelph-baker-street-library-exterior-aerial.jpg

Guelph-baker-street-library-exterior2.jpg

Guelph-baker-street-library-section.jpg
Guelph-baker-street-library-interior.jpg

Last edited:
Some additional commentary from the local Guelph news:

Plans for a new, central library have taken a major step forward, with the board of directors’ approval of a schematic design.

That design, unanimously approved on Sept. 21, aims to incorporate natural light into the building, along with outdoor reading terraces, space for a variety of uses and house the library’s archives collection.

“It’s exciting. This is a moment to celebrate,” said Guelph Public Library CEO Steve Kraft of the design’s approval. “It’s been a long time coming … at least 25 years.

“It’s a relief to think this is actually going to happen.”

City council approved the $62 million project in an 8-5 decision last October. At the time, construction was slated to begin next year, but a news release about the library’s design states construction isn’t to begin until 2023. An anticipated completion date wasn’t included in the release.

Requests for comment from the city's project manager, Stephen Gazzola, about the delay were not immediately returned.

Kraft said he believes completion is still slated for 2024.

The library will be a standalone, three-storey, 88,000 square-foot building at the southern edge of the Baker District redevelopment, along Chapel Lane.

“I think the public is going to appreciate the work that he has done. Certainly the board does,” Kraft said of the architect from Diamond Schmitt Architects. “Every department has been placed, so you know which department is where.”

Key among those departments will be the archival space on the third floor, a maker space on the second floor and the children’s area on the ground level. Also in the plan are private meeting spaces and catering amenities.

Wow, this looks really sharp! Much better than earlier versions which I believe had it incorporated into the pedestal of a condo on the north end of the lot. I'd even say it actually deserves a more prominent location instead of 'hidden' on the Baker St lot. With some well thought out and implemented landscape design, and enhanced (and well marked) pedestrian passageways giving access off Wyndham St., St. Georges Sq. and Quebec St., this project has huge potential to turn a former graveyard/parking lot into a very exciting urban space!

Back