Toronto Backstage On The Esplanade | 116.73m | 36s | Cityzen | P + S / IBI

The green roof sounds great!

The bridge over the esplanade would negate a lot of the impact on pedestrian traffic that the new building would've had. Another bad thing I think is that they are removing 3 tracks, which I bet in 20 years, will be needed to accommodate increased ridership.

I look forward to seeing some renders.

78.4 metres total height

25 The Espanade (the flatiron-like building) is 101m, so this building will be over three-quarters of its height, which is taller than I had expected. I hope that the view from the west is not blocked, but it sounds like the well-known postcard view will disappear. On the other hand, we should be getting a "street canyon" effect, with these two buildings on the south side of the street plus the L Tower and London on the Esplanade on the north side.

Bill

I'm curious as to why this will have a bridge across the street to the L Tower? I mean, what's it's purpose?

I guess the bridge is for L residents that park in this thing? That's too bad as it will interupt that 'flatiron' view for sure

Wait a minute... where the hell is this building going? Bridge across Esplanade??!!

I assumed it was on the west side of Yonge (behind the Fed building)... are you saying it's south of L Tower/Sony on that little patch... jammed up against 25 The Esplanade??

If so, holy shitskabob. And to think 42 was worried about a parking structure there...

yes, this building is going SOUTH of the Esplanade, smack against the railway. THe bridge, and a tunnel underneath the Esplanade, is for access to the parking for the L Tower, Sony Centre, and this office development, which will be below grade under the office tower. The tunnel will be private access for the residents of L, and the bridge is for the Sony Centre/L Tower crazy-museum-stuff patrons.

If you think about it, this is mixed-use to the max.

299: thanks- I was under the impression that the information posted was merely speculative.

I have to agree though that, no matter what the circumstances are with the present tracks (short), they should be thinking about future growth and not removing tracks for this- build over the tracks- elevate the building so that it hovers-a la OCAD above them.

Speaking of the site- does anyone have a photo or two to show it? Also couldn't they build on that bridge section?

p5

I think the new building will 'urbanize' the area and terminate the esplanade canyon. The bridge will just block obstruct views of the street.

There are pedestrian bridges around town...can't think any that are good

This site seems extremely small, so I'm surprised they're going to build something here. In fact, just a day or two before this was announced I was wondering if anything high density could be built here and shrugged it off as being too difficult. But hey, I guess that's why I'm not an engineer.

Back