Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I'm surprised why this isn't considered a mixed-use building. considering the first 5 floors of the tower are all retail shops and other facilities. that counts towards the height of the building doesn't it?

According to the CTBUH;

Single-function and mixed-use buildings
A single-function tall building is defined as one where 85% or more of its total floor area is dedicated to a single usage.

The retail component accounts for only 11.5% (150,000 out of 1,300,000 sq/ft) of the total floor area. Height-wise, it'd probably less than 10%.

I find it astonishing that, in a city the size of Toronto, a 78-story mega-tower could be in the hands of a local architectural firm with zero national or international profile and no track record of excellent or notable work; partnered with a developer with a reputation for using the most inexpensive and cut-rate materials available.

I can’t think of another large city in the US or Western Europe where such a second-rate developer and architect would be able to get something this big off the ground. How does this happen? Why is this project not in the hands of important, successful and/or extremely talented architects? In other words, people who aspire to create an architectural landmark for the city.

This should be a flagship project, a project that defines downtown Toronto for the 21st century, instead it is the hands of a low rent design/build firm with a well-earned reputation for cutting corners. Based on the folly that is The Residences at College Park, I think chances are very good that Aura could end being a monstrous albatross.

this is sooo true. Cheap materials, installed by cheap contractors who can not follow instructions and cut corners. From what I know the same contractors who installed the piping at RoCP are working on AURA. I expect the building to start falling apart after about 4-5 years of being registered.

Last edited:
this is sooo true. Cheap materials, installed by cheap contractors who can not follow instructions and cut corners. From what I know the same contractors who installed the faulty piping at RoCP are working on AURA. I expect the building to start falling apart after about 4-5 years of being registered.

Saint arent you moving into one of the top 10 floors????

Some of the retail at the base maybe. But the residences won't likely be ready till later in 2013.

Didn't they say the retail will be open summer 2012?

What will happen with that right turning lane? Hopefully it will be gone and the sidewalk extended.

Oh ya i am. Gonna live there 6mths -1yr. cash out my profits and chill in the carribean for the next 6-10years :). Long term building if done like RoCP will be a mess in my opinion.

Last edited:
Perhaps due to its sheer volume, but if you work out the cost per square foot (or some sort of relative standard), I'm sure there are many condos that are more expensive.

This building is basically a supertall version of those junky student rentals they're building in Waterloo.

I expect it to be 95% students/rentals living here, with insane loud parties, trash basically. Like I said--a vertical Milton subdivision.

Let's see if I'm right...c.2020.

ummmm..... four seasons... ritz... s-l....trump.............

None of those towers has a massive retail mall, in the base and 12 extra interior floors to finish.

In the case of Ritz, Trump and Four Season 23 extra floors to finish.

I'm sure you can check the construction values at DCN.

None of those towers has a massive retail mall, in the base and 12 extra interior floors to finish.

In the case of Ritz, Trump and Four Season 23 extra floors to finish.

I'm sure you can check the construction values at DCN.

without checking, i'll take a guess an say that trump was more expensive to build. you can prove me wrong

without checking, i'll take a guess an say that trump was more expensive to build. you can prove me wrong

I would agree. They used some sort of high strenght metal or something in Trump Tower. And I say cheap, because I know from experience and dealing with RoCP. Even when you go to finish selection center for AURA, the hi end floors are sooo high end you can scratch them with your fingernail. No more granite like in RoCP, but quartz i think. NO more marbel in washrooms. Definately lower ended finishes then RoCP

I'll do my best to find the information - might have to go directly to the developers to get it though.

Not a problem, game on!!

bqtqf.jpg

This building is basically a supertall version of those junky student rentals they're building in Waterloo.

I expect it to be 95% students/rentals living here, with insane loud parties, trash basically. Like I said--a vertical Milton subdivision.

Let's see if I'm right...c.2020.

Interesting. That'd be a real shame.

Back