Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I like the Bentley Mays article. I always find his writing appeals to me more than the star or definitely more than the post. 100 over 400 ft by 2014???? Really? That sound more like Chicago than Toronto to me... :)

EDITOR'S NOTE: The author of the Globe and Mail article, four posts above, is actually Marcus Gee.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's absolutely ridiculous to speak of Toronto and fear of height in the same sentence. Just look at all the towers being built and have been built in the last five years. With that said, developers are in it to make money and not some dick measuring contest and the city isn't there for developers to have free reign to do whatever they want. It's the price paid for the property (+ demo & whatnots) that is dictating these higher heights/greater densities and not "getting over our fear"

I doubt we'll see another million square foot residential tower on a retail podium anytime soon.

Last edited:
... Why promote CS when so far they've managed to build some pretty nasty eyesores, and by continuing to use a mediocre architectural firm for this project I expect more of the same....

As a perfectionist, it annoys me to see Toronto making the same mistakes it did in the past. Either have the best architecture or don't develop at all!

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I have to join some others here who wonder exactly what would satisfy you, or for that matter, why you choose to comment at all. This building will set a new standard for the city based solely on its height, if nothing else. But there are other things to be glad of, as well. The building was one of the first, and I think one of the few so far, to go through a process of being reviewed by peer archietects. It was documented that some changes were made, which I think were seen widely as improvements.

We've seen these kinds of opinions being offered up the street at One Bloor, and no doubt will again. You can't satisfy everyone. This building will be seen in future years as an icon, representing its time, fittingly enough given the history of the site.

2940881.bin

Why incldue the Ritz-Carlton in the diagram and not Trump, Shangri-La, L Tower, and the Four Seasons considering they're also all under construction.

Why incldue the Ritz-Carlton in the diagram and not Trump, Shangri-La, L Tower, and the Four Seasons considering they're also all under construction.

Not to mention, they made a HUGE mistake on the diagram... The towers are suppose to be ALL RESIDENTIAL (they even said that Trump didn't make the list cause it has a hotel), BUT the Ritz is strangely on the list and its not fully residential!!!!!... same with 1 King in a sense.... this is messed up... we need some guys who actually know their skyscrapers to work for newspapers!!! :D

I think we'll let the skyscraper people stick to skyscrapers, and the punctuation people stick to punctuation, and we'll all get along just fine.

Final word on this topic: 75 floors of aA.:D

Seconded. My (possibly realistic) dream is for the next tallest residential building proposal to be an aA designed structure. Not sure where I'd want to see it though. South of Front is begging for some density, but I don't want to cover up the CBD entirely.

April 9, 2010 Announcement

KingSett Acquires 50% of Aura at College Park, Toronto

KingSett Capital announced today that it has acquired for its Real Estate Growth LP No. 3 a 50% interest in the Aura lands at College Park, upon which will be developed a 931 unit, residential condominium tower atop a 135k sf retail podium and a 705 stall underground parking garage. Aura is the third and final phase of the residences at College Park; Phases I and II consist of 658 units developed by KingSett’s 50% joint venture partner, Canderel Stoneridge.

---

Glad to see this starting construction!

Back