Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Surely, there's a way to maintain that small scale and individuality at street level, yet build 50 floors higher above it? Yonge Street will change, because it just can't stay the same. We've come to a point where that street just can't go on in its present format. City's need to evolve or turn into antiquated places that have lost their potential.

Oh indeed it can continue in its present format. I think that "Five" (St. Joseph Street), the St. Nicolas St. project along with Uptown and Blu are great examples of how the downtown Yonge Street corridor can remain relevant, preserve the dynamic street scape and continue to intensify the area behind the shops (and apartments above) in a practical and respectful manner without losing some of the great buildings along there. Restoring the building facades as projects like Five will do is a terrific proposal as it gives the Yonge Street shops a new lease on life. There's a good amount of space behind many of these shops, I hope we see more proposals like this in the years to come.

^ The best way to make trolls go away is to stop feeding them attention (which, unfortunately, I'm also contributing to right now).

From the event:

Mayor Miller gets things rolling:

AuraMiller.jpg

Kyke Rae joins the fray - well, he is the fray - a very animated speaker!

AuraRae.jpg

Canderel Stoneridge President Michael LaBrier speaks.

AuraLaBrier.jpg

Besides Miller and Rae, the front row also included Riz Dhanji of Canderel's sales, James Robinson of the Downtown Yonge BIA, and Barry Graziani of G+C.

AuraFrontRow.jpg

The message was sent to start digging.

AuraStart.jpg

[video=youtube;xU8MPk4UYQ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU8MPk4UYQ0[/video]

Various equipment roared to life.

AuraDrill.jpg

AuraShovel.jpg

[video=youtube;4olScpprwYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4olScpprwYM[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates!!! The hole's freakin deep now! I think we're about half way there already!

Not sure if this has already been posted but here it is anyways...

Article by national post:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto/story.html?id=2940880

At the northwest corner of Yonge and Gerrard streets yesterday, excavators scooped and clawed speedily and hungrily at the soil as if making up for lost time.

"We're moving very fast," acknowledged Riz Dhanji, vice-president of sales and marketing for Toronto developer Canderel Stoneridge. "What we want to do is create a landmark."

It took a full century and several tries before a company pulled it off, but towering architecture is finally taking shape in the College Park area. Several weeks after the machines showed up and started hauling away dirt, the developer will host Mayor David Miller and Councillor Kyle Rae for an official groundbreaking today for Aura, one of several new buildings shining beams of light and colour onto a part of town known for an aura of dull grey.

Aura in particular promises to dramatically alter the look of Toronto's skyline thanks to its height and its relative distance from other supertall towers. Measuring 75 storeys and 243 metres, the condominium is set to become the tallest residential building in Canada, unless one includes the mixed residential-and-hotel Trump Tower, now rapidly climbing at Bay and Adelaide. (The Trump will have fewer floors, at 59.) Aura will smash the height record for the city north of Queen Street, currently held by Minto's Quantum North at Yonge and Eglinton.

While the developer said Aura is more than 97% sold, take heart: The $17.5-million penthouse, with its 13-foot ceilings and 360-degree views, is available, Mr. Dhanji said. The developer offers an optimistic move-in day of 2012.

Aura will join other condo projects adding thousands of residents to the area:

-The 45-and 35-storey twin towers of Murano on Bay north of College, where move-in for residents finished last month. Developer Lanterra is also building Burano across the street. It is now climbing above the hoardings and should be completed in 2012.

-The 30-storey Lumiere condominium down the street by Menkes, which will be completed this year.

-The completed Residences of College Park, standing 154 and 140 metres tall (51 and 45 storeys respectively) on Bay just north of Gerrard, the height of which is not quite in the Aura-sphere, but remains impressive. The Residences were also built by Canderel Stoneridge.

Before these condos came along, the area stretching from roughly Grosvenor Street down to Gerrard, and between Bay and Yonge, had long remained a relative dead zone in the north-central section of downtown.

Mr. Dhanji said seven years ago, much of the local retail space was unleased and pedestrian traffic was light. "You would come in this neighbourhood and it was the scariest thing. That Yonge and College area was considered not so appealing," he said.

"You had this vibrant retail strip going up Yonge Street from Dundas Square, and at Gerrard it sort of stopped," said Shawn Micallef, editor of Yonge Street magazine and the author of the forthcoming book Stroll: Psychogeographic Walks Through Toronto. He said the "ugly hole" of the parking lot formerly at Yonge and Gerrard was partly to blame for the void at the halfway point between Queen and Bloor.

Mr. Micallef approves of Aura, calling it "a really, really tall skyscraper in the right spot," and noted its construction fulfills long-held hopes for the area.

Mark Obaldeston's 2008 book Unbuilt Toronto describes how defunct department store chain Eaton's began assembling land at Yonge between College and Gerrard in 1910. The company imagined it could pull downtown Toronto's centre of gravity north from King Street. In 1928, it announced a project sprawling across the entire block, capped by a majestic, 204-metre-tall tower.

"The Depression hit, and all we got was this nice Eaton's, which is the Winners now," Mr. Micallef said.

Eaton's dreamed wild dreams for the site once again in the early 1970s, when it teamed up with developer John Maryon to create a plan for a supertall, 140-storey tower on the site. Not surprisingly, the idea appears not to have gone very far. Canderel Stoneridge president Michael La Brier, fresh from fighting to build the comparatively modest Aura, laughed at the technical and financial challenge of trying to build such a massive building during the 1970s.

"Show me the doable and I'll show you a good project," Mr. La Brier said. Building Aura, he said, was fiscally practical given the unique size and position of the parcel of land the company acquired in 2006. "It was never about us being bigger than anybody else."

2940881.bin

I see a doctor? What if I am a doctor already?

I hate small town-style boosterism...which is precisely what promoting a bad developer's interests is all about. Why promote CS when so far they've managed to build some pretty nasty eyesores, and by continuing to use a mediocre architectural firm for this project I expect more of the same....

As a perfectionist, it annoys me to see Toronto making the same mistakes it did in the past. Either have the best architecture or don't develop at all!

(Or perhaps it's the time that's affecting my mood--aka, moving into earth sign Taurus is smothering my fire sign Sagittarius? Yeah that explains my sudden negativity towards CS.;))

Last edited:
But this is the best architecture that the design review process could salvage for us, Dr. Dreamer. While such review panels are composed of elite architects and designers, it isn't their job to completely redo the design they're presented with but to work with what they're given and improve it - which is what they've done.

As for promoting CS, well you can't keep most politicians away from a junket in a tent with cameras.

Thanks for the updates!!! The hole's freakin deep now! I think we're about half way there already!

LOL. In the photo next to College Park you can see them putting in the soldier piles for the five (?) underground parking levels. Only the mall level which extends all the way into College Park is dug out.

lol indeed :D
there was a lot of media buzz around Aura today. Just saw some news segments on CP24, Fairchild television.
seems like everywhere is reporting that the project will be complete by 2012. chances of this happening seem slim to none imo. especially given the staggering size of the development.

Last edited:
From the Globe and Mail................http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-skyscrapers-rise-ever-taller/article1545218/

Toronto skyscrapers rise ever taller
The city may finally be getting over its irrational fear of heights

Yesterday, Mayor David Miller was on hand for the ceremonial ground-breaking of the tallest residential building in Canada. The 75-storey, 243-metre-high Aura condominium will be a dramatic addition to the city skyline, a blade-like glass-and-steel skyscraper that is the final stage of the College Park complex at College and Yonge. With 931 units and 1.1 million square feet of living space, it is the King Kong of condos, boasting more residential footage than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, the world’s tallest building.

Aura is a sign that Toronto is getting over its fear of heights. New office and condominium towers are popping up downtown like mushrooms after a summer rain. The Shangri-La hotel and condo on University Avenue will rise 66 storeys; architect Daniel Libeskind’s L Tower on the Esplanade, 57 storeys. The Ice condos down by the waterfront will comprise two towers of 65 and 55 storeys.

By 2014, Toronto could have close to 100 buildings over 400 feet tall, nearly double the number of a decade earlier. City councillor Kyle Rae says this city has become the “Manhattan of Canada,” a comparison that would have seemed absurd even a few years ago. For a city that used to quiver and squirm whenever a developer threatened to put up a skyscraper outside the financial district, it is a startling change.

Back in the 1970s, worries about congestion and overbuilding led Mayor David Crombie to slap a 40-foot height limit on downtown buildings. In the early 2000s, the city was consumed by a debate over the Minto project, a high-rise condo opposed by neighbouring homeowners. A couple of years later, developer Harry Stinson was forced to cancel plans for the spectacular, 90-storey Sapphire Tower on Temperance Street. It seemed too tall, too big, too flashy.

All that seems dated now. Though neighbours still complain about shadow impacts, traffic congestion and other often-imaginary problems with proposed tall buildings, Torontonians are coming to accept the merits of building into the heavens.

The thicket of downtown high-rises fits perfectly with the drive to promote urban “intensification,” planner-speak for packing people more closely together to save energy and counteract urban sprawl. The Aura project is right on the Yonge subway line, so thousands of people will be able to get around without their cars. It will bring new life to the tatty corner of Yonge and Gerrard and kick-start revitalization of the crummy Yonge Street strip.

Even so, the city at first failed to see Aura’s aura. The site was zoned for just 36 storeys and planners bridled at the notion of more than doubling that. When a City of Toronto planner first discussed Aura with Mr. Rae, a champion of urban density and downtown living, she called it a disgrace. “I turned to her and said, ‘Is that a planning term?’ and it deteriorated from there.”

But the city soon realized it was on thin ice if it hoped to oppose Aura. Both Toronto’s official plan and Ontario’s smart growth policies call for increasing density around nodes such as Yonge and College.

To ease the city’s concerns, developer Michael La Brier agreed to set up a five-member panel with leading U.S. and local architects to review the tower’s design. The result is a sleek and handsome building that will cost about half a billion dollars. The tower will stand on a three-storey granite-and-glass podium with high-end stores such as Bed, Bath and Beyond. More than 97 per cent of the condos have been pre-sold, says Mr. La Brier, though if you have $17.5-million in your pocket, there is still a penthouse available.

That a developer can charge such a sum for a condo in Toronto is a sign of confidence in the city and its vibrant downtown. Aura was financed in the midst of the world financial crisis and more than 85 per cent of the units were sold within six weeks, sight unseen.

The building’s dramatic height is a draw, not a drawback. Mr. La Brier’s remembers the fuss when College Park’s early phases went up, with towers of 45 and 51 storeys. “In those days, 51 storeys was as scary as 75 is today.”

With Aura’s unabashed embrace of height, the city has moved on. If we can get over our fear of 75 storeys, why not 80 or 90 or even 100? In this new vertical city, the sky is the limit.

Who cares? Why celebrate Toronto's future ugliest eyesore?

urbandreamer why live in a city that you hate so much? Pack up and go somewhere else, like Vancouver or NY... many of us are not going to miss you at all.

Back