Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Uhhhh...

Unimaginative - two things - please re-check your post for errors, and maybe expand in a way that it ties it into this thread? It seems to be a bit of a non sequitur.

The renderings I've seen, Andrew, are similar but not identical to the small nightime one that DaninToronto posted on Nov. 5th. There's an ( eight? ) storey block, with balconies, centred on the tower at the south end, and the podium below it is more glassy and prominent. It looks like they stole some of the west side mass of the tower to create the lower building, thus making the tower sleeker and anchoring the base with more substance at pedestrian level.

_________
reg_intro_06.jpg

reg_intro_27.jpg

http://www.collegeparkcondos.com/

Haha. It was in response to the electric heat bit. Completely ridiculous. Anyway. That tower actually looks pretty good. I'm surprised it's so low-profile.

New tower will bring condo craziness to new heights
By CHRIS DOUCETTE, SUN MEDIA

Hot on the heels of this week's One Bloor St. W. condominium stampede, plans for the largest condo tower in Canada will be unveiled today at College Park.

Canderel Stoneridge Equity Group, the developer behind the massive undertaking, will release details of Aura, a 75-storey building to be erected on the northwest corner of Yonge and Gerrard Sts.

Designed by Graziani & Corazza Architects, the tower will rise 243 metres above the TTC's College subway station and will include four levels of retail space.

While it will not be quite as tall as the planned 280-metre-high Trump International Hotel & Tower scheduled for completion in 2010 just a few blocks to the south, the developer claims it will be the city's tallest purely residential condo development.

And at more than 1.3 million-square-feet, 1.1 million of which will be devoted to residential space, the developer says Aura will be significantly larger than any other condo in the country, including the development at One Bloor St. W. that created a frenzy when the sales office opened earlier this week.

Investors and homebuyers began lining up a week early for a piece of that property.

Experts say Toronto has become condo crazy in recent years as the price of lowrise homes in the city has skyrocketed, putting such purchases out of reach for many buyers.

In order to keep up with demand, numerous other large condo developments are being built. In the next four years alone, the number of buildings over 200 metres in height will more than double from the seven currently dotting Toronto's skyline to 17.

The completion date for Aura wasn't immediately available but prospective buyers will be able to pre-register online as of today.

the tower will rise 243 metres above the TTC's College subway station and will include four levels of retail space.

It is disapointing that it won't actually be connected to the subway station.

And none of these articles have mentioned anything about a path connection. I suppose this is because the section 37 benefits have not been announced/finalized?!?

A new subway entrance via the new tower - at the south end of the platform - would be nice, wouldn't it? And to use this development to link up with PATH to the south ( via Ryerson? ) would be swell!

1) It will be link underground into College Park, so yes, there's a climate controlled connection to the subway, albeit a long one. I'd like to see a new south exit constructed at College station.

2) Egads! G+C may actually have a good looking building on their hands.

It is disapointing that it won't actually be connected to the subway station.

And none of these articles have mentioned anything about a path connection. I suppose this is because the section 37 benefits have not been announced/finalized?!?

During negotiations between the city and applicant a connection to the subway was examined, but it was determined to be unfeasable given the actual location of the subway platforms.

The PATH extension is already a part of the project with a new entrance at Gerrard and Yonge - that has already been negotiated.

I hope it's built just like that. Nice bulky podium and sleek tower which gets bonus points for being a non-box without being goofy-looking.

I'll need to see a better detailed render before I cast judgment on this tower. Right now the base looks a bit North Yorkish for my liking.

I doubt the podium will be that see-thru in reality, but it looks pretty good. The bottom half of the tower could be called Snore-a (Snaura? Snora?) but the top half could still be interesting if it's as curved as previous renderings suggested.

Back