Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

It's going to be tricky working around the delivery ramp. As much as I have high hopes that we're going to get a good looking building, podium and retail here (not to mention a future connection to PATH), I'm just as excited about the financial contribution that will go toward rejuvenating College Park (or Barbara Ann Scott Park). I've always liked the space in there but it's a little rundown and some of the space needs to be re-designed, repaired and updated.

Yeah, something about it that just seems so Eggleton-era suspended-animation. And the rink's the sort of place where even when there's a number of people skating, it feels like they're all skating alone...

So it's true that Aura and the existing College Park mall will not be internally connected? That's a shame, I think, especially because the lane of the existing College Park complex that leads towards Aura is the part of the complex most in need of some revitilization, and it also means that Aura won't actually have a direct link to the subway. I would have thought the benefits to the existing complex of a link to Aura, and vice-versa, would have meant an undergroun link between the two.

I think the problem is that there isn't really an underground in College Park to connect to on the south end. If they did an enclosed ground level connection it would deface the architecture of College Park and block off the access to the park. I guess they could try to run a walkway to the NW to hook up with RoCP's access, but then it'd be such a roundabout link that no one would actually use it (much faster to just nip outside for a couple seconds)

There was a discussion a few months ago about how they were going to treat the laneway tho, and it sounded like some thought was being put into it

The architecture of College park has already been plenty defaced, mind you, especially on the south side where the court addition looms tumerously above the half-built original facade. Not that I'd advocate defacing it further, but it's not like it's a pristine building that can't be tampered with.

But your point about the underground not extending all the way south in the first place is well-taken, thanks.

The Aura website claims that there will be a "direct underground link to College Park".

The Aura website claims that there will be a "direct underground link to College Park".

In fact the Aura web site says, talking about College Park shops & facilities - 'All of this is available to the residents of Aura via the direct underground link to College Park'. It's in the text on their site under the heading 'ABOUT COLLEGE PARK'.

... so Whatever, what information do you have that claims otherwise from the above? The Retail Floor Plan below shows the connection promised above, although getting to it means going through a Proposed section of the plan - ostensibly under the walkway to the park.

4366213887_7120a07e0e_b.jpg

The architecture of College park has already been plenty defaced, mind you, especially on the south side where the court addition looms tumerously above the half-built original facade. Not that I'd advocate defacing it further, but it's not like it's a pristine building that can't be tampered with.

Are you talking about the condo block? I actually find it way too self-effacing to "loom tumerously"--and besides, it's set well back from the primary elevations. Indeed, it's probably the most hyperactively self-effacing condo for its size in Toronto over the past few decades.

On the whole, the integrity of the College Park exterior remains far more intact than not--and, compounded by the Winners-and-onward-era renos, far more so than the beneath-the-Carlu interior...

... so Whatever, what information do you have that claims otherwise from the above? The Retail Floor Plan below shows the connection promised above, although getting to it means going through a Proposed section of the plan - ostensibly under the walkway to the park.

Actually, this seems to line up with whatever Whatever said. Notice that the College Park end is a staircase and an elevator up - it's not on the same level as the underground connection. So, as long as that Proposed Development remains proposed, whatever connection there is will be at grade.

Are you talking about the condo block? I actually find it way too self-effacing to "loom tumerously"--and besides, it's set well back from the primary elevations. Indeed, it's probably the most hyperactively self-effacing condo for its size in Toronto over the past few decades.

Oh... that's a condo block rising self-effacingly behind the half-finished southeast facade? I thought that was the court.

My problem with College Park is that I can't help but see it as one-quarter of the original design. Ever since I realized that the southern half of the Yonge frontage - which is only one and a bit storeys high - is an unfinished base for the second quarter (and perfectly symmetrical with the northeast corner, just incomplete), I've been secretly wishing it could be completed. I know, I know, it's against every conservation principle there is. But still. Every wart and carbunkle they add to that building is an affront to my quiet wish.

Last edited:
The Toronto Courthouse is on the second floor in the College Park block (formally Eaton's College Street). The midrise set back behind the southeast facade are the College Park apartments, more visible from the park in behind or from the south.

My problem with College Park is that I can't help but see it as one-quarter of the original design. Ever since I realized that the southern half of the Yonge frontage - which is only one and a bit storeys high - is an unfinished base for the second quarter (and perfectly symmetrical with the northeast corner, just incomplete),

Though not *that* perfectly symmetrical--not because of the design, but because of the fall of land; note the weird stuff it does to window and entrance levels relative to the base course. (And of course, the fall of land also explains, together with the "stub" status of the south wing, the difficulty of establishing a southward underground connection--the south entrance to College Park is at de facto concourse level already.)

I appreciate that the lower end of College Park is almost at ground level, but if I had to I could find some contextually sensitive way of blasting a hole so that the two buildings are connected underground.

Although, it's not entirely clear to me why I would care so much.

4366213887_7120a07e0e_b.jpg

Actually, this seems to line up with whatever Whatever said. Notice that the College Park end is a staircase and an elevator up - it's not on the same level as the underground connection. So, as long as that Proposed Development remains proposed, whatever connection there is will be at grade.

I appreciate that the lower end of College Park is almost at ground level, but if I had to I could find some contextually sensitive way of blasting a hole so that the two buildings are connected underground.

Although, it's not entirely clear to me why I would care so much.

Archivist: it looks like there is indeed a plan that includes your contextually sensitive blast-hole: the question is whether or not the connection will be built now under the walkway.

The plan above includes the word proposed, but the collegeparkcondos website is unequivocal that AURA will be connected through to College Park and the subway by direct underground connection. I can tell you that the plan above has been released for over a year and a half now, and as we know that that the walkway from Yonge to Barbara Ann Scott park under which this proposed connection is located is closing for construction, and as we can assume that it would be more difficult to build the section linking the two buildings underground after the second building were built, it is not too much of a stretch to surmise that the word proposed may no longer be necessary?

So I ask the question again; Whatever; do you have solid information indicating that the underground link from Aura to College Park is not being built now? If so, can you please tell us why it is not being built now? How could it possibly prove to be cost effective to go back and dig out that connection later?

Back