Toronto Art Shoppe Condos | 98.75m | 28s | Freed | a—A

Interesting to see aA responding to the new vision-glass coverage regulations in the city. Glad to see them exploring various methods of cladding, unlike various other firms in the city which are turning to spandrel glass as the solution.

Yes; this is amazing to see. It's so refreshing for aA to finally go beyond their all-glass approach. I hope they continue to pursue this sort of more-diverse cladding from now on. What a relief.

Interesting to see aA responding to the new vision-glass coverage regulations in the city. Glad to see them exploring various methods of cladding, unlike various other firms in the city which are turning to spandrel glass as the solution.

Are you guys looking at the same renderings? Because it appears to be almost 100% vision glass, all floor to ceiling. I don't see how it will approved as rendered.

Last edited:

It looks like 95% all-glass to me.

It looks like 95% all-glass to me.

On closer look, the precast(?)/aluminum(?) extrusions are shown to sit out in front of the window wall facade behind, so there is more glass coverage than I read from my first glance. But spandrel will likely be much better integrated into a design like this where there are other materials and surfaces. You don't end up with all-glass elevations covered in "stripes" of spandrel but rather it becomes a mediating material between solid and transparent.

In renderings, usually spandrel is shown as vision glass (i.e. over slab edges), etc., so there's also that.

If the project doesn't perform well from an environmental point of view, it's certainly a step in the right direction toward articulating a fully glazed tower (which the market still seems to demand) in a way that uses other materials and has a sense of visual depth. There is a much clearer design concept/intent here than with some of their recent projects.

Looks curtainwall as well, but we will see.

It's certainly possible that we'll see curtainwall here, as it's becoming more common in condo projects. But until we have elevations/drawings, there's no way to know. Renderings show what appears to be curtainwall all the time, as the rendering is more of a marketing piece than any sort of binding representation of details like mullion thickness/depth.

Last edited:
It's strange that the website says this: "This proposed "mixed commercial-residential redevelopment" will boast two towers of 38 (North Tower) and 29 (South Tower) storeys respectively with shared common 6-storey base at 2131 Yonge Street just south of Eglinton Avenue West in Toronto. The retail Art Shoppe store will be demolished for The Art Shoppe Condos to accommodate retail use space on the 1st and 2nd floors with floors 3 to 5 for residential units and amenity space located on the 6th floor. The North Tower will include a proposed restaurant on the 38th floor with outdoor patio seating."

Then there is this (32 & 29 Storeys):

<snip>

I guess they forgot to update heights of the buildings?

Yes, those are all out-of-date. 28 and 12 storeys was what was settled on the proponent and the City and ratified by the OMB.

I hate the street level wall of glass and that shit seems to be going up in almost all new condos. It's going to ruin the retail experience at street level, all over the city. The city needs to put a stop to it but of course, it won't because design and creating great urban spaces, seems to be something of little concern at city hall. (and around the city in general) It's so damned frustrating for us non-apathetic types and people who actually appreciate creativity.

I hate the street level wall of glass and that shit seems to be going up in almost all new condos. It's going to ruin the retail experience at street level, all over the city. The city needs to put a stop to it but of course, it won't because design and creating great urban spaces, seems to be something of little concern at city hall. (and around the city in general) It's so damned frustrating for us non-apathetic types and people who actually appreciate creativity.

Apply for a job at City Hall and try to influence change.

Regardless of material for me it's the set backs and extrusions that make this really interesting, seems like a lot of firms are starting to play with this. Which I love. Seems like a throw back to Habitat. I would not be upset if this was the next trend here.

Not a single one of those renderings shows what they're planning at street level for this building, so what are you going on about? And spare us the sanctimony, please.

The picture in the project thread thing at the top shows a street level rendering. And how is it “sanctimonious” to be frustrated about a problematic architecture trend? If that’s what you call sanctimonious, I wish everyone in the world was that sanctimonious.

It's not an opinion I share but, that beside the point. It's how Torontovibe presents himself that can be perceived as sanctimonious.

It's not an opinion I share but, that beside the point. It's how Torontovibe presents himself that can be perceived as sanctimonious.

+1

Back