Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

Maybe they could build it first ... and then gloat about it ;)

A major part of museums are their collections, and from what I understand, the AK Museum collection is absolutely world class. And it is not like they are running ads nationally, or something like that. Instead, it is simply publishing a book which talks about planning and the architecture.

Here is the book at chapters -
515BHd-NyNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.ca/Aga-Khan-Museum-Toronto/dp/3791341464/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230743390&sr=8-3

But personally, I'd suggest "Under The Eaves of Architecture: The Aga Khan: Builder and Patron" which talks about numerous projects the Aga Khan has supported over the last decades, including various Canadian projects starting with the Ismaili Centre in Burnaby:
51mlm7HBFUL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.ca/Under-Eaves-Architecture-Builder-Patron/dp/3791337815/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230743390&sr=8-5

This second book also speaks about the Ismaili Centre co-located on the same Wynford Drive site along with the museum.

http://archrecord.construction.com/news/daily/archives/090129agakhan.asp

In Ottawa, Maki Completes First Building for Aga Khan
January 29, 2009

By Tim McKeough

Maki and Associates has completed the first building in the world specifically designed for the Aga Khan and his agencies.

The Aga Khan is the spiritual leader of the world’s Ismaili Muslims and founder of the coveted Aga Khan Award for Architecture, which honors projects in communities where Muslims have a significant presence. The new, 95,000-square-foot building, known as the Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat, is located in Ottawa, Canada, and houses offices for the Aga Khan Foundation of Canada and Aga Khan Development Network, a group of secular agencies with a variety of activities in the developing world that promote health, education, economic development, and revitalization of historic cities.

The rectilinear building’s most dramatic feature is a multi-faceted glass dome with triangular fiberglass shades that control sunlight. The dome’s shape is a direct response to the Aga Khan’s request for a building inspired by rock crystal, which he admires for “its translucency, its multiple planes, and the fascination of its colors—all of which present themselves differently as light moves around them,†he stated on December 6 during an inauguration ceremony at the building.

Located beneath the dome is a 55-foot-high atrium, its glass walls partially obscured by cast aluminum screens with an Arabesque-type pattern. Beyond the atrium is a traditional walled exterior garden, or char bagh. On the exterior, the building is clad in crystallized glass ceramic panels, which are intended to reflect subtle changes in the color of natural light throughout the day.

The Aga Khan noted that the project “reflects our conviction that buildings can do more than simply house people and programs. They can also reflect our deepest values, as great architecture captures esoteric thought in physical form.†The Aga Khan and his institutions have two other new buildings in the works in Canada—an Islamic art museum designed by Maki, and a religious and community center designed by Charles Correa. Both projects are in Toronto. In addition, the Aga Khan has established a Global Centre for Pluralism in the former Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

“Together, these projects represent a permanent institutional commitment to Canada,†says Khalil Shariff, CEO of the Aga Khan Foundation of Canada. Shariff notes that Canada was a natural choice for the organization because many Ismaili Muslims moved to the country during turmoil in Uganda more than three decades ago; about 100,000 live in Canada today. “There’s also a long history of active collaboration between Canada and the non-denominational institutions of the network,†adds Shariff, noting that the Aga Khan Development Network has worked closely with the Canadian International Development Agency for the past 25 years to reduce poverty in Asia and Africa. “There’s a convergence of values between the work we’re doing,†he says, “and what Canada stands for and represents in the world.â€

090129agakhan.jpg

At the risk of going too far off topic, I wanted to provide a few pictures of the Ottawa Aga Khan project, designed by the same architect as the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto. I want to also highlight that these projects are funded by the Aga Khan and his community in full - so they, particularly the public park for Toronto, could really be seen as gifts to the city.

Click on the pictures for full-size:

I saw the building (albeit from the outside) and thought it as being quite stately and reserved with clean lines. It is far superior to the Saudi embassy just across the way.

Love the domed room up top. The quality of filtered light in there looks great. I'd interested to know how the skylight stands up to the Ottawa winter.

Anyway, the Ottawa building has me anticipating the Toronto project all the more.

Love the domed room up top. The quality of filtered light in there looks great. I'd interested to know how the skylight stands up to the Ottawa winter.

Anyway, the Ottawa building has me anticipating the Toronto project all the more.

Some new pics of the Ottawa building. Looks like some of the displays inside are images of items that will end up in the Toronto museum.

http://i48998.posterous.com/delegation-of-ismaili-imamat-b

Here's a sample picture - inside of the dome you were talking about:
DSCF4844.jpg

Walli...
I am intrigued by your interest in the works of the Aga Khan....are you ismaili by chance??

Walli...
I am intrigued by your interest in the works of the Aga Khan....are you ismaili by chance??

I'm Muslim, and as such I have particular interest in the work of the Aga Khan. That being said, his works are such that one doesn't need to be a Muslim to appreciate.

The AKDN (Aga Khan Development Network) is one of the worlds largest international development networks - with a track record such that many Western countries have backed it in ways unparalleled other than their support of the UN. When you speak of education in the international context, the Aga Khan Academies are some of the best - anywhere. The 11 campuses of the Aga Khan University are exception, and within their contexts, they are certainly the best - having international-class reputations. In the world of architecture, the Aga Khan Award for Architecture is the worlds largest and one of the most prestigious. The Aga Khan Programs at Harvard and MIT are seen in similar light. If you look at arts and culture, you see exceptional programs at the AKDN's University of Central Asia campuses. You see music initiatives that are absolutely unique in the regions of engagement. There are the museums - the one in Toronto, but also the one being developed in Zanzibar and in Cairo.

I know I'm off topic, but I also want to share that the Aga Khan's family's impact has been huge on many other levels. His grandfather twice president of the league of nations. His uncle the youngest and longest serving UNHCR helping during the Vietnamese 'boat people' crisis, Uganda, etc. More recently, his personal involvement with breaking down the walls of communism are rarely mentioned. The first meeting between Reagan and Gorbachev was at the Aga Khan's Geneva Chateau - that is where the Geneva Accord was signed!

Anyway - now you've got me all excited! I'm very happy the Aga Khan Museum is coming to Toronto, and I do hope that people understand the International importance of such institutions. The world has to work 'together' and in so doing, people like the Aga Khan are extremely important.

As a final piece, I'll offer a short video of the Prime Minister's speech at the opening of the Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat. I hope it puts my feelings about the importance of the Aga Khan to today's world into perspective:
http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/media_gallery.asp?media_category_id=20&media_id=2784

Sorry for being off topic - I sense you were curious, so I obliged.

As a side note, Cambridge just announced they'll be conferring the degree of Doctor of Divinity on the Aga Khan. He has a long list of them from prestigious universities with whom he has had direct engagement. Indeed, his list of decorations, honorary degrees and awards is astounding!

We do, I do!

Just make em start already!!!

What's up with the delays after delays.

We do, I do!

Just make em start already!!!

What's up with the delays after delays.

I think by the time things were lined up for the Delegation opening last year, it was really too late for a ground-breaking in T.O. I believe the preference is for a ground breaking after which real work commences immediately. I suspect spring this year would be ideal (at this point) - and with hopefully more stability with government, it should make it easier to line up the key leadership for the event.

I think it's worth repeating what alklay said months ago. This proposal (which is nearly ten years old) has not resulted in anything beyond the destruction of a very fine piece of architecture.

This will probably go down in Toronto history as one of those real stinkers, like the loss of John Howard's asylum or the flattening of everything west of the Gooderham building, where we lost something great for basically nothing.

^^

Thanks! I wasn't aware of the materials piece, but it makes sense given the Delegation building touch stone.

My view is that waiting for something unique and of high quality is better than rushing by using inferior materials and compromising quality.

Absolutely. For those interested in high detailed renderings, I would suggest the new book, "Aga Khan Museum" by Phillip Joddio, published by Prestel which has many awesome neat renderings of the future Museum.

Sadly, I haven't seen many if ( any) renderings of the Ismaili Centre itself... don't know why they have not been released as of yet?

Back