Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

(Bump). Anybody in the area seen any sign of anything happening with this project? Given that the goods are being schlepped around the world and everybody's being told there will be a museum in Toronto in 2010 or 2011 or whatever, it would be lovely to see something on this.

I believe The Aga Khan's visit to Toronto has been delayed, in part due to the federal election. My understanding is that the groundbreaking will be done in early spring.

The federal election is over in 2 weeks. And this thing was suppose to start in 2007, not 2009.

I am not saying anything is fishy, but I just smell fish, that's all.

It is important for all the understand that the ground-breaking for this project is tied to several other significant projects and events. All of these need to come together:

- Opening of the Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat (a $40M pseudo embassy on Sussex Drive) ... was to initially be ready last year, then spring this year, and then more construction delays mean it is about ready only now.
- Global Centre for Pluralism appointments of directors ... to be completely jointly by the government and the Aga Khan's agencies (his contribution is something like $40M).
- Visiting the Ismaili community. This is not small deal. In 2005 when the Aga Khan visited Toronto and Vancouver, these were massive undertakings. I recall reading city of Vancouver documents confirming that as the largest convention type event Vancouver had ever hosted, the previous largest being the Aga Khan's visit in 1992.
- Schedule of the Prime Minister and possible key members of Cabinet (there could be other announcements - it is the 25th anniversary since the government and the Aga Khan's agencies started their partnership)
- Schedule of the Aga Khan (who may just be busier than the PM)

Anyway - looks like things are coming together, particularly the Ottawa projects. That means hang tight - shouldn't be long now. This one has certainly NOT gone away, and it will be nice to see another major project start up in Toronto at a time when the economy needs some good news.

What do ya' know ... just came out minutes ago. ArchRecord, as some may know, is a preeminent US based architectural magazine. This article says later this year for the IC (IE structure that will go on the Western side of the site) and next year for the AKM.

-----
http://archrecord.construction.com/news/daily/archives/081006AghaKhan.asp#
Correa, Maki Tapped to Design Aga Khan Center
October 06, 2008

By Alex Bozikovic

One of the world’s great architecture patrons has hired two distinguished architects—the Indian Modernist Charles Correa and Pritzker Prize winner Fumihiko Maki—to design a $200-million cultural and religious complex in Toronto.

Development agencies for the Aga Khan recently announced details of the scheme, which will include a pair of buildings on a 17-acre suburban site: a religious and community center by Correa and a new Islamic art museum by Maki. While both designs are inspired by traditional Islamic architecture, says project coordinator Shamez Mohammed, the idea is to create modern structures “with modern materials, glass and steel, that are of the time and of the country.” The Aga Khan, spiritual leader to the world’s Ismaili Muslims and sponsor of a major international award for architecture, has been closely involved in the design of the complex, Mohammed says.

The two buildings, each about 100,000 square feet, will be knitted together on publicly accessible grounds designed by Vladimir Djurovic. The Lebanese landscape architect has envisioned formal gardens inspired by the “four gardens” plan found throughout south Asia and the Near East. A series of water features will help counter traffic noise from an adjacent expressway.

First to break ground, later this year, will be Correa’s Ismaili Centre. The limestone-clad structure will include a jamaatkhana, or prayer space, topped with a grand, complex glass dome that reflects its significance to Ismailis. The center is one of just six such institutions in the world. “It’s akin to a cathedral compared to a local parish,” says Mohammed, noting that it will serve Ismaili communities in eastern Canada and the northeastern U.S, all within a day’s drive.

But the adjoining museum by Maki likely will draw more attention. Run by the non-profit Aga Khan Trust for Culture, the building was added to the Toronto site plan several years ago when a deal to place it in central London fell through. Still being finalized, Maki’s design includes a dome of its own, a central courtyard, and wall planes that cantilever outward on all four sides. It will house permanent exhibits of Islamic art and artifacts from the personal collection of the Aga Khan, along with large galleries for visiting exhibitions and a 350-seat auditorium for cultural events. Groundbreaking is scheduled for next year.

Various images (most are repeats though, save the first picture, which I do not recall previously) - just a reminder of what this looks like given Architectural Record is reporting that the foundation ceremony is before the end of the year (IE within two months time).

ismailicenter_banner2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

CA-20080301-031-atopahilloverlo-15901_MI0001.jpg

The Aga Khan was in Ottawa this past weekend to open the "Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat" (DII) on Confederation Blvd (199 Sussex Drive, Ottawa). That building is also designed by Professor Fumihiko Maki, the architect behind the Aga Khan Museum as well as one of the World Trade Centre towers in New York. This Ottawa building was the first for this international superstar architect in Canada, and his thought process and implementation of an idea may give us hints with respect to thoughtfulness of the Aga Khan Museum's design:

Ottawa Citizen article, "An Essay in Glass":
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/essay+glass/1041260/story.html

Two associated photo galleries (DII) also from the Ottawa Citizen:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Gallery+Khan+Building/1038402/story.html
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Gallery+Khan+buildin+part/1037552/story.html

Additionally, the speeches by the Aga Khan and Prime Minister Stephen Harper at the opening were quite unique, and the Aga Khan's articulation of the idea being the architecture is quite something:

Aga Khan Speech:
http://www.akdn.org/speeches_detail.asp?ID=699

Prime Minister Harper Speech:
http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=2346

This is ALL positive stuff in my mind.

The Aga K was interviewed by Masbridge the other day. Good interview. He must have been in TO but no word on this project.

The Aga K was interviewed by Masbridge the other day. Good interview. He must have been in TO but no word on this project.

The interview was actually a re-play from 2006 - but I agree it was a very good one. Interestingly, Mansbridge One-on-One only interviews Canadians only - but they interviewed him as he is an Honorary Companion of the Order of Canada. Since inception, there have only been a *total* of five people world wide given this!

Did you see the Ottawa Citizen article on the building in Ottawa - *three full pages* !! I've never seen such a long article on any building in a major Canadian newspaper.

With respect to word on this project, it was mentioned in the Aga Khan's speech for which I provided a link (no timing specifics though). My understanding is that it is out to early next year now (previously was supposed to be October or something like that, but the election was called).

Last edited:
He was in Toronto twice this past month (the latter of the two trips he even visited the site), why didn't they just do it then?

Walli, are you Ismaili?

He was in Toronto twice this past month (the latter of the two trips he even visited the site), why didn't they just do it then?

I don't know the answer but I suspect it was availability of other appropriate individuals. The first time you are mentioning, it was certainly him (in fact the CN Tower colours were changed to the colours of his standard for the visit) but the second time it was not him, rather, it was Prince Amyn Aga Khan (brother) and Prince Rahim (son) - they went to see the site during a brief stop over. If there was something else, I am not aware.

CN Tower on November 22/23 in the colours of the Aga Khan:
cntower006.jpg

To put schedules in perspective, after his November trip, which ended the 25th, He had meetings / engagements in France, Pakistan, several in Singapore, again Europe, and then back for December 5th for the DII opening in Ottawa. All at the request of the PM from what I understand, who wanted to be at that opening (which included several federal ministers plus additional members of parliament, the governor of the bank of canada, chief justice of the supreme court of canada, former ministers and ambassadors of canada to other countries, current ambassadors of other countries to canada, and the PM himself). The Aga Khan is currently on an official visit to France at the invitation of their government.

I thought it was for Christmas too...I could have sworn that I'd seen those same red and green colours on other days as well.

That being said (and hopefully not too off-topic), is there any way to tell what the CN tower is honouring on any particular occasion? The official website (http://www.cntowerlights.com/cn-tower-lighting-policy-schedule/) only lists one special occasion: St Patrick's Day. I know for a fact that there have been numerous other times when I've seen non-standard lighting patterns (I can see the tower out of my living room window so I see the lights basically every night).

Back