Markham 68 Main Street Condominiums | 42.3m | 6s | Sierra | FBP Architects

This looks great! I'm very impressed, I must say. I would like to see more of these types of developments throughout the GTA's historic centres.

In principle I'm against this kind of historical pastiche being built today, and I still consider this fakery…

but they've done such a great job of this. Detail after detail add up to a beautiful job, from the vitrine store frontages, the coining, the keystones, the use of the complementary buff and red bricks, the corbeling over the arches at the back of the shops, and on and on, so good! No-one has matched this level of modern day Vic Shtick in the GTA that I am aware of. Should I be more respectful and call it Neo-Victorian instead? I'm really impressed.

Last edited:
In principle I'm against this kind of historical pastiche being built today, and I still consider this fakery…

but they're done such a great job of this. Detail after detail add up to a beautiful job, from the vitrine store frontages, the coining, the keystones, the use of the complementary buff and red bricks, the corbeling over the arches at the back of the shops, and on and on, so good! No-one has matched this level of modern day Vic Shtick in the GTA that I am aware of. Should I be more respectful and call it Neo-Victorian instead? I'm really impressed.

Yeah, me too. Hopefully this will act as a template for other projects around the GTA. Vaughan desperately needs walkable neighbourhoods.

There's a lot of potential for Vaughan's city centre.

I'm not so sure about that, I think it'll be dense for sure but the walkabilitly I'm not so sure about, I think downtown Markham has a better chance.

The projects so far in VCC (or just around the area) are mega projects with mall like retail, like World on Yonge, which I think do nothing for walkability.

Some more shots from the next day's music festival (21 June 2014):

Markham Music Festival by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

68 Main Street Markham by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

Music festival bonus shots:

The projects so far in VCC (or just around the area) are mega projects with mall like retail, like World on Yonge, which I think do nothing for walkability.

The "mall like retail" will also do nothing for street life if pedestrian activity is internalized within the buildings.

but they're done such a great job of this. Detail after detail add up to a beautiful job, from the vitrine store frontages, the coining, the keystones, the use of the complementary buff and red bricks, the corbeling over the arches at the back of the shops, and on and on, so good! No-one has matched this level of modern day Vic Shtick in the GTA that I am aware of. Should I be more respectful and call it Neo-Victorian instead? I'm really impressed.

I think Markham's heritage committee deserves some of the credit for this. They have a reputation for being pedantic heritage nazis, but I don't think any GTA municipality has put as much effort into its heritage districts as Markham and has insisted on such exacting standards. Some of the faux heritage homes in the area have also been very well done. Much better than the new faux stone chateaus you see in Markham outside of the heritage zones.

I'm not so sure about that, I think it'll be dense for sure but the walkabilitly I'm not so sure about, I think downtown Markham has a better chance.

World on Yonge is actually in Markham.

This project turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
From August 13th:

gjwTwKZ.jpg

JLbcHfQ.jpg

X38Bu9C.jpg

Ei9DJKU.jpg

o2bQwzl.jpg

Y6VUo2A.jpg

KS3Hjje.jpg

Ie6oEgU.jpg

0gbmacM.jpg

Oa7msFQ.jpg

Does any of you actually live in these condos ? I "purchased" a unit from this builder in another development. I would like to know if they cheaped out on the construction or not so I can be aware. Thanks in advance :)

Back