Markham 68 Main Street Condominiums | 42.3m | 6s | Sierra | FBP Architects

There's also the fact that each of the facades have floors of the same height, which is a giveaway that they're part of the same building, but it actually still seems to be turning out alright.

It's not bad for what/where it is, but I agree it's a shame they insisted on pretending to be so many different buildings - which in someways just makes it more obvious that this is actually one enormous building. There are examples of wider Victorian facades they could have copied: http://goo.gl/maps/MerHL; http://goo.gl/maps/GrIQQ

Some updated construction pics as of August 31st. Windows are starting to go up on the main building (starting at the second floor) and interior metal stud framing is underway. My parents bought a unit here and construction was initially slated for completion by December of this year - now delayed until March 2014. I figure they're going to try to have the building closed in before the winter so that interior work can go ahead full steam. Does around 4-5 months sound like a reasonable timeframe for interior work to be completed on a building of this size? I'm thinking another delay may be in the cards.
photo.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg
photo4.jpg
photo5.jpg
photo6.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 789
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 771
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 769
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 717
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 748
  • photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 740
Great first post drtoronto! Welcome to UT! We like our posts to come with a nice dollop of good photos…

In answer to your question; based on your photos, I believe it is unlikely that the whole building would be finished by March, but it might be possible that the very first units could be finished by then. How far up the queue are your parents?

The builder has a schedule that they must stick to for updates of any delays, and a maximum permitted delay before they must compensate you. It should be in the contract.

I'm very curious to see what retail will go in here. Since chains are banned from Main Street aside from banks, my worst fear is that we'll end up with two bank branches and nothing else. Really hoping for a few restaurants!

So far the builder has only issued the one delay notification with a new tentative occupancy date. I assume they'll be following the Tarion guidelines pretty closely to avoid any sort of compensation as best as possible.

The unit is on the third floor, however I'm not sure if, with a building this size, they'll do a sort of phased occupancy.

That's actually a pretty impressively done building imo, it actually sort of looks like an old building block as opposed to an obviously cheap knockoff.

Thanks for the picture update! I am a little bit obsessed wit this project, and am hopeful to to see what retail it attracts. Seeing this take shape on the space of the old plaza really shows how much can fit into a vacuous suburban spots like a plaza. I think this could be a model for how to do suburban retrofits in the future.

Looks great! I wish they made more effort to make the building seem like...more separated???

I actually like that they are connected and seem to be built similar to building blocks in old Toronto. If anything I wish they had lessened the differences a bit and made it more obvious they were one long row of a building.

That said I do like this and I definitely think this would make a good minimum standard for historicist development.

Attachments

• 4949787745_9b1dfb9a68_b.jpg
    4949787745_9b1dfb9a68_b.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 605
Um, no. I didn't say I wanted it to look like a building that partially collapsed from a fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back