Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

It's exactly this kind of ambivalent attitude towards our city's increasingly rare fine heritage buildings that dooms them, time and time again.

Or, more to the point--yeah, we all know urbandreamer's schtick; but for him to utter "time to move on" now is a little like hitting on a woman right after her husband died in a hit-&-run. Even apart from a lot of the heritage specifics, not exactly sensitive.

Once 335 Yonge is demolished over the next couple of days it'll expose even more of Toronto Life Square's joy to Yonge Street pedestrians. Oh happy day.

Hopefully they can now go taller on this corner and actually hide 10 Dundas' backside.

Well, for a change I'll agree with urbandreamer. It's a real shame to lose this building, but it is gone. Posts lamenting the fact that another building remains (fortunately or unfortunately) standing are not exactly helpful, and do not advance any discussion. Guesses as to the future use of this site are obviously completely speculative, but are interesting and useful and are what this forum is largely about.

I hope Ryerson does something or other here, which would go a long way toward redeeming this corner.

The above photo with the Inception poster in the background was a stroke of genius. Bully to you sir.

This thread shows up 3rd when you google Lalani Group. Not sure they are going to like that :)

boo hoo ... i hope charges are laid against the company for negligence, arson, or whatever.

i find it odd that a large part of the building has been vacant for years.
are you telling me no one wanted to lease prime dt R/E?

there was a news interview with Kristen-Wong Tam, confirming that no gas, hydro, etc was servicing the building.
and the building was very secure so swatters seem very unlikely.

Time to move on.

1)aA red brick residential tower with boutique hotel on bottom 10 floors, ground level retail.

2)As I predicted in TLS thread, consolidation of the block happens, resulting in a new 45-65s office tower within the decade.

3)Toronto council behaves like their usual selves, insisting a heritage sensitive building is built. Result: A Duke's Cycle knockoff, with Home Depot doors and windows.

4)10s parking garage with Wal Mart on the bottom 3 floors.

btw, the World's Biggest Bookstore site would make an awesome condo site, eh?

Too soon. Grieving time please?

WBBS won't last the decade, it probably will be condos if the economy hasn't gone bust by then.

The site should be expropriated such that this crime doesn't profit anyone. And quite frankly what of criminal charges - neglect of structure endangering the public, etc. from the original collapse in the first place?

AoD

I'm sure that Ryerson University would enjoy having a new subway connection at this intersection. Maybe a replacement building could incorporate that.

I'm sad to see this nice 19th century building destroyed. It had some of the most interesting brickwork in town and was a great corner building with its little tower. It was, however, in terrible shape for decades, the bricks wrecked by time and careless sandblasting. I am hopeful that a new building rising on this site can replicate some of the old building's delicacy and fine detail in some way that isn't a pastiche. Sadly the examples of redevelopment that are adjacent to this site are pretty awful, the most successful of which, the Eaton Centre, which was once amazing, slowly being trashed.

Back