Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

This sort of demolition-through-neglect of heritage building is becoming a trend, and I wonder if it's because legally there's not a lot that can be done if an owner just refuses to maintain a heritage property that they own.

Probably wouldn't please the anti-gravy crusaders, but a buy-back program wherein the city purchases heritage properties in danger of neglect might be something worth considering.

gouldfire1.jpg

gouldfire2.jpg

gouldfire3.jpg

gouldfire4.jpg

gouldfire5.jpg

gouldfire6.jpg

gouldfire7.jpg

gouldfire8.jpg

gouldfire9.jpg

gouldfire10.jpg

Fire & Ice - the old girl is finally defeated.
gouldfire10b.jpg

Ontario Fire Marshal is in the bucket trying to determine cause
gouldfire11.jpg

Last edited:
Considering nobody was seriously hurt, it's a shame Toronto Life Sq. didnt burn down too. But thinking about it, I dont think it would be easy to bring it down by fire. It would have to spread to the inside for it to really have any structural damage and inside there are modern fire deterrent systems in place. The only way to bring down 10 Dundas E is through deliberate action. We're stuck with it.

I hope Ryerson snaps this up. It's an excellent opportunity to create a modern gateway into the university.

Considering nobody was seriously hurt, it's a shame Toronto Life Sq. didnt burn down too.

Yeah, I know it's one of Toronto's premier jerrybuilt eyesores, but such wishful-thinking isn't exactly tasteful, you know...

Once 335 Yonge is demolished over the next couple of days it'll expose even more of Toronto Life Square's joy to Yonge Street pedestrians. Oh happy day.

Let's cool it with the "too bad 10 Dundas East wasn't burned down". I don't believe people here are wanting hundreds of people to lose their jobs and even more firefighters being hurt simply because they dislike the building.

I'm still wondering how Mayor Ford'll handle it--after all, it's the first "urban disaster" to fall into his lap, much as the Uptown Theatre collapse was David Miller's...

Let's cool it with the "too bad 10 Dundas East wasn't burned down". I don't believe people here are wanting hundreds of people to lose their jobs and even more firefighters being hurt simply because they dislike the building.

Just like 9/11 reality made certain urbanists momentarily forget how they had so dearly wished the World Trade Center would be wiped clean off the Lower Manhattan cityscape...

Time to move on.

1)aA red brick residential tower with boutique hotel on bottom 10 floors, ground level retail.

2)As I predicted in TLS thread, consolidation of the block happens, resulting in a new 45-65s office tower within the decade.

3)Toronto council behaves like their usual selves, insisting a heritage sensitive building is built. Result: A Duke's Cycle knockoff, with Home Depot doors and windows.

4)10s parking garage with Wal Mart on the bottom 3 floors.

btw, the World's Biggest Bookstore site would make an awesome condo site, eh?

Whether or not Lalani Group delibertly caused the fire or not, they have been negligent on maintaining this property and they shouldn't be allowed to profit from it (as they wanted the historic building gone) and should be held responsible.
While the building is now way beyond repair to be restored, Lalani Group should be forced to rebuild the historic brick facade. I know facadism is not the greatest solution and always stirs up mixed reactions, but I think it is better than nothing.

It's a sad day for Toronto and extremely sad for this stretch of Yonge Street.

Back