Hamilton 325 James Street North | 45.7m | 12s | Core Urban Inc. | Lintack Architects

I live right by Augusta, walk past most days. It's almost done. You can see inside and most of the suites are complete now. Seems like they're just finishing up the lobby, restaurant and some of the exterior cladding. Also the front landscaping and perimeter canopy. I predict it will be pretty much 100% complete sometime in March.
That makes sense. I don't know that Core Urban is doing the fitting for the restaurant or grocery on James, so they might be done their part even sooner. Usually commercial tenants are responsible for their own capital work.

I would wonder how quickly they've been able to rent out units, and I wonder if they'd wait a bit to rent out more units before starting another project. When you have a large number of rental units come online, it can be difficult to fill then all quickly at current market rents.

Something tells me they're having issues renting those units out. I see advertisements constantly on Instagram. Didn't see anything like that for the first building on Augusta. For James, they've also been having many open houses, every weekend. I think the whole market slowed down, not just for sale units.

Something tells me they're having issues renting those units out. I see advertisements constantly on Instagram. Didn't see anything like that for the first building on Augusta. For James, they've also been having many open houses, every weekend. I think the whole market slowed down, not just for sale units.
That was my impression too from how hard they're marketing. It could just be that they're pushing hard on marketing though. Even with how few units they have, flooding the market with 60 units in an area takes time to fill them all. It seems like it took the Marquee about 2 years to fill all their units, and that was about 242 units, so at a similar rate, I'd expect the James and Augusta units to take around 1 year to fill both buildings combined.

The reason we didn't see the other building getting marketed is because it's a long-term stay hotel, not rentals.

I do wonder and assume this new build on James will be rental too, I don't know if that's been confirmed or not. I can't recall what Steve had said to me, but my understanding was hat Core Urban likes to retain their properties now to ensure they are maintained to their quality and to build a porfolio of capital assets.

That was my impression too from how hard they're marketing. It could just be that they're pushing hard on marketing though. Even with how few units they have, flooding the market with 60 units in an area takes time to fill them all. It seems like it took the Marquee about 2 years to fill all their units, and that was about 242 units, so at a similar rate, I'd expect the James and Augusta units to take around 1 year to fill both buildings combined.

The reason we didn't see the other building getting marketed is because it's a long-term stay hotel, not rentals.

I do wonder and assume this new build on James will be rental too, I don't know if that's been confirmed or not. I can't recall what Steve had said to me, but my understanding was hat Core Urban likes to retain their properties now to ensure they are maintained to their quality and to build a porfolio of capital assets.
Ah that's right, I forgot the other Augusta was an airbnb hotel. The second one on Augusta is confirmed to be rental though. It's called "The Chelsea". Maybe it's supposed to be taking some inspiration from the Chelsea area of London UK? Not sure.

Ah that's right, I forgot the other Augusta was an airbnb hotel. The second one on Augusta is confirmed to be rental though. It's called "The Chelsea". Maybe it's supposed to be taking some inspiration from the Chelsea area of London UK? Not sure.
I meant this building at James when mentioning the rental aspect.

In terms of the naming, I think these developments typically just pick something that is a unique identifier. For the King William building they chose "Cobalt Luxury Towers" but after they changed to rentals, they aimed for a younger more urban crowd removing the word "Luxury" and adding the word Urban along with King William, an area known for it's renewed urban vibe. Chelsea does give off London, England vibes, so I suspect that was the vibe they were going for.

I wonder what the James St building for this thread will be called.

Maybe the Lots Road Power Station renewal project in Chelsea.... bit of a stretch though lol

LotsRoad_00_ForrmationArchitects.jpg

It's a shame, as far as dormer buildings go that one was actually in pretty good shape - always a shame to see one get knocked down.

That chelsea building is beautiful - love old factories - great rehab project :) :)

Not too many of THOSE types of factories left.

Difficult to say what's up without the permit site up, but from what I had last seen they only had a demo permit. If demo is starting though then I believe they should have an approved site plan. I'll be walking by this evening and I'll take a pic if nobody has sprinted over to be first.

rip dormers, helllooo weird offset from center core urban design...

bnnqq1jh-jpg.469041

Look at it - LOOK AT IT! And tell me your mind doesn't subconsciously try to "nudge" it back over to the left.. like a weird game of jenga..

(屮`Д´)屮 WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

The question just becomes.. why.. why spend so much time making a perfectly symmetrical base just to ruin it with the tower..

I get why.. to maximize space on the one side, and for a proper offset on the other.. but it fails man.. it fails aesthetically.. I can say imo this is the first design "fail" of core urban. The lopsided tower will ALWAYS overshadow the beauty of the podium, and unless viewed from just the right angle draw all your attention to its lack of symmetry..

That and the pez-shaped toppers..

Last edited:

Back