Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Well, it's different. I wonder how well the white will weather. Also, anyone know what that random four-storey high wall on the corner is?

117ke.jpg

Well, hello there.

The dark grey/black part looks great but the baby blue should be a very light grey or white, in my opinion, and have glass better matched to the spandrel colour. Anyways, I'm still a big fan of this project and look forward to seeing the midrise and the park in addition to this clean-lined new tower.

^^ I assume you're joking/ poking fun at people around here and how they interpret cladding. Because there's definitely no protective wrap on the baby blue spandrel panels in the above pics. ;)

No, I'm reading the spandrel as being an off-white grey in those pictures. I thought you were talking about the "baby blue" trim on the ground floor, which actually is a white trim covered in nitto

It's way cheaper. Spandrel is just a single pane of glass with insulation and sheet metal behind it, whereas vision glass is almost always insulated glazing (double glazed, with inert gas between). There are practical uses for it (e.g.; to hide mechanical, for privacy, to hide the edge of the slab, etc), but it can also be done as a cost-saving measure

This type of cladding looks good (to me); I'm wondering if it's not feasible (asides from cost-related matters) to have residential buildings covered in this type of (sharp) cladding rather than the spandrel-heavy buildings that we tend to get for the most part.

The contrast between this side and the spandrel side of this tower really shows how big of a difference there is in the exterior look of the building. It also reminds me of the glaring difference between the two sides of the L tower's cladding (I like the north/south side but feel the west/side side is really cheap-looking).

The cost difference between curtain wall and window-wall continues to be significant

the white spandrel panels are looking real sharp here ... looking forward to see the more of this treatment on the tower~

It's way cheaper. Spandrel is just a single pane of glass with insulation and sheet metal behind it, whereas vision glass is almost always insulated glazing (double glazed, with inert gas between). There are practical uses for it (e.g.; to hide mechanical, for privacy, to hide the edge of the slab, etc), but it can also be done as a cost-saving measure

I always spec double glazed spandrel panels, the architects want it because it gives a depth to the spandrel panel. The outer glass is spec'd with a colour tint to it and the inner glass is clear with a coloured film coating on the back. Not sure what all the fuss is about spandrel panels, to me it is better than a cheap metal panel, all though it could be other better products.

Sure, that can be done, but it often isn't. Other than SickKids I can't think of many buildings that have double-glazed spandrel

Back