Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

I had completely written this thing off a few weeks ago but now that all the balconies are being finished the design elements are coming together better and it's looking less busy. By no means is it a great design but i think it'll be good filler once completely done.

Sept 19th

The POOL is filled :cool:

IMG_0023.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 712
I had completely written this thing off a few weeks ago but now that all the balconies are being finished the design elements are coming together better and it's looking less busy. By no means is it a great design but i think it'll be good filler once completely done.
+1 I think when it's all done, it will be a good addition

Does it really make that much of a difference to the over-all cost?

Costs add up. A supplier is going to charge a premium to shut down an entire assembly line in order to mix a custom colour and create a material of that colour. I remember one of my instructors giving me a hard time about straying from standard window unit sizes because of this same issue.

Any time you stray from the standardized colour selection, dimensions, unit sizes, etc., production systems have to changed to the customized settings and it = a big jump in cost.

Last edited:
Costs add up. A supplier is going to charge a premium to shut down an entire assembly line in order to mix a custom colour and create a material of that colour. I remember one of my instructors giving me a hard time about straying from standard window unit sizes because of this same issue.

Any time you stray from the standardized colour selection, dimensions, unit sizes, etc., production systems have to changed to the customized settings and it = a big jump in cost.

Yes or no can be the answer depending on the size of the order as well can the jigs be used down the line. From my own experience, I am always doing new jigs for manufacturing and part of the cost of doing business. Jigs do wear out overtime and have to be replace.

It also depends if a supplier is hungry for work or not. Everything comes with a cost and what that cost will be will determine if x design gets built or not.

There are number of buildings around where non standard was used to the point they look better than the off the shelf.

At the same time, you can be a trend sitter by building something different that can lead to more work known as custom design.

In the structure steel fabrication world, very little is the same other than headers on the beams depending on the size and loading that can be mass produce and stock pile. Every thing is cut to size and drill to match the connecting members. Steel joist are very standard jig and are modify to meet extra loading or shoe connection. Steel stairs are custom made based on site condition. I can go into other fields to show that things are non standard in those field as well.

This project is going to be one on the non off the shelf for a good portion of it.

Last edited:
I think this is awful, a dog's breakfast, ill-conceived and worse carried off, but I don't think I'd be satisfied with any condo at this location. This site deserved an office building with top notch cladding or a public park. But alas, tourists will be taking in this visual collision for decades to come.

Another instance where the architect needs to be reminded that spandrel colour =/= glass colour, moreso if you have non-continuous sections of windows. If the white portion of the tower was a reflective silver spandrel and glass, it would have been far superior.

The west elevation with black mullions and dark glazing looks by far the best. The rest = nasty.

Another instance where the architect needs to be reminded that spandrel colour =/= glass colour, moreso if you have non-continuous sections of windows. If the white portion of the tower was a reflective silver spandrel and glass, it would have been far superior.

Wallman's designs are usually quite mindful of material and execution, this is a classic case of Tridel-izing. Oppressive spandrel and busy mullions, used like they were bought at a fire sale. I don't care that their rep tried to convince us that it's expensive or premium in any way, it looks atrocious.

Back