News   May 07, 2024
 449     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 404     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 899     3 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

No chance. LRT certainly but not enough time to start any subway expansion from scratch.

Yeah, most likely won't happen. But it would be nice if it does give Toronto a kick in the butt to try and improve the system...maybe do another sheppard extension thing. Should be enough time from now and 2024 to get another one done.

Not necessarily and I would refrain from jumping to conclusions.

I'm not jumping to conclusions. It's what I was told to expect. An announcement during the long weekend if Tory wants to bury it and the Olympics wouldn't be talked about again or a Tuesday morning announcement if we're bidding and he wants to make the news and start building excitement for the bid. It's black and white. The Tuesday morning press conference was called right on cue. We're bidding.

I believe you metroman but i was also at a function last week with Rob Ford so unfortunately you are not always right.

I'm not jumping to conclusions. It's what I was told to expect. An announcement during the long weekend if Tory wants to bury it and the Olympics wouldn't be talked about again or a Tuesday morning announcement if we're bidding and he wants to make the news and start building excitement for the bid. It's black and white. The Tuesday morning press conference was called right on cue. We're bidding.

Who told you about the Tuesday announcement?

This is just like the night before nominations cut off for the mayoral race. We all knew what Ford was going to do but the press played it like a bombshell...

The bid letter needs to be signed by four people: Aubut (yes), Tory (yes), Wynne(?) and feds (can't until after Oct 19 so will get a pass). Therefore the announcement tomorrow is either that bid is a go, or that Wynne would support a bid should the city choose to proceed (and then have a formal celebration announcement later this week). There's no way that the press conference will be anything other than on the bid, so if there is a non-Olympic reason given expect a placed question from the press that lets her signal approval.

Expect more of the "just an expression of interest" language etc...

Don't forget that this is really Bob Richardson's bid - he was the man behind telling Tory to run for mayor and is a major internal force in the Liberal party. He's the guy who recruited Kouvalis to the Tory team, and who has been leading the TO2024 bid since 2011. What you have here is a master class in politics played by grownups.

With a brand new administration, it's taken me almost a year to gain new contacts. I'm sure you'll understand that I'll provide news to UrbanToronto without outing who's tipping it. You're free to question whether those tips are trustworthy or not. Go back a few pages and you'll find that I laid out the timeline which is now coming to fruition.

With a brand new administration, it's taken me almost a year to gain new contacts. I'm sure you'll understand that I'll provide news to UrbanToronto without outing who's tipping it. You're free to question whether those tips are trustworthy or not. Go back a few pages and you'll find that I laid out the timeline which is now coming to fruition.

Thanks MetroMan.

Back