News   May 29, 2024
 232     1 
News   May 29, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   May 29, 2024
 458     0 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

Isn't it obvious what the silence is? The city is looking for private sector benefactors to cover the cost of bidding.

If they're successful, we will submit a bit, if not, no bid.

That pretty much slid into dick-ish territory, Tewder. I recommend a week at the cottage to recapture your zen.

But, to keep your blood boiling, Richard Florida from the G&M:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...hould-say-no-to-the-olympics/article26263925/

Wow, people are touchy around here, i was really just teasing...

Thanks for posting Riverdale but the Florida article doesn't offer up anything new, it's the same tired old defeatist arguments, insisting that Toronto is an analogue of Athens rather than London etc... and it completely ignores the specifics of Toronto's context, i.e. that of a booming city that for all its prosperity has been hamstrung and neglected for decades due to politics and lack of funding.

Nah, Toronto needs a catalyst for change and some sustained momentum to break free of this gridlock. Again, let's at least see a bid. Let's at least assess what a grand project like this could deliver for the city.

Wow, people are touchy around here, i was really just teasing...

Thanks for posting Riverdale but the Florida article doesn't offer up anything new, it's the same tired old defeatist arguments, insisting that Toronto is an analogue of Athens rather than London etc... and it completely ignores the specifics of Toronto's context, i.e. that of a booming city that for all its prosperity has been hamstrung and neglected for decades due to politics and lack of funding.

Nah, Toronto needs a catalyst for change and some sustained momentum to break free of this gridlock. Again, let's at least see a bid. Let's at least assess what a grand project like this could deliver for the city.
Read Aubut's interview from today - he really doesn't give a fuck about Torontonians.

http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/new...ee-president-says-olympic-bid-details-co.html

I'm not sure how you're reading that into this interview. Boosting for the olympics doesn't equate to 'not giving a fuck about Torontonians'. Depending on perspective, it could mean quite the opposite.

Yeah I agree that his boosterism is to be taken with a grain of salt but given his job position I think that's pretty clear.

So what's everyone's guess?:
1. Bid announcement by Friday
2. Bid announcement over the weekend
3. Bid announcement next week

If the letter has to be in the IOC's hands by Tuesday, I would expect an announcement my Monday at the latest.

You're assuming they'll announce something before they send the letter? How of-the-people of you. I expect an announcement in the first Council session, by way of an obscure bylaw reading or some such.

You're assuming they'll announce something before they send the letter? How of-the-people of you. I expect an announcement in the first Council session, by way of an obscure bylaw reading or some such.
My guess is that he will announce on Monday that he sent the letter on the weekend.

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015/09/the-never-ending-stadium-boondoggle/403666/

This popped up on Bloomberg this morning (Ritholtz' column). Completely not the same, etc., etc. I'm sure for those of you who are boosters. It does, however, have copious links to academic studies rubbishing sports-stadiums-spending-as-catalyst which seems on point.

Luckily, we're planning a $1 billion dollar track and field stadium, so it'll be even more useless in Toronto.

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015/09/the-never-ending-stadium-boondoggle/403666/

This popped up on Bloomberg this morning (Ritholtz' column). Completely not the same, etc., etc. I'm sure for those of you who are boosters. It does, however, have copious links to academic studies rubbishing sports-stadiums-spending-as-catalyst which seems on point.

Luckily, we're planning a $1 billion dollar track and field stadium, so it'll be even more useless in Toronto.
If I understand the booster arguments correctly, they mostly concede that much of the sporting infrastructure will be a useless waste of money. Their justification is that the Games would be a catalyst for getting loads of money from the federal and provincial governments, and that we would spend it on mostly the right transit infrastructure in the right places. The latter would be a refreshing change from our practice of the last forty years, but no doubt the magic of the Games would cause our political leaders to embrace the rational planning they have routinely ignored up to this point. Plus, the Games would make us even more World Class, eh?

If I understand the booster arguments correctly, they mostly concede that much of the sporting infrastructure will be a useless waste of money. Their justification is that the Games would be a catalyst for getting loads of money from the federal and provincial governments, and that we would spend it on mostly the right transit infrastructure in the right places. The latter would be a refreshing change from our practice of the last forty years, but no doubt the magic of the Games would cause our political leaders to embrace the rational planning they have routinely ignored up to this point. Plus, the Games would make us even more World Class, eh?

I can sort-of squint and see putting a DRL/SmarTrack (tm) through, one that looped down / had a spur to the Olympic Stadium in the Portlands. But what other infrastructure could the COC/City possibly justify on that basis? Sewers? Transit to UT Scarb to use that pool as a warm-up facility? Or do you just shamelessly attach transit to the bid, then cut it 2 or 3 years later as 'not core' and 'the budget has creeped up for (pick one) security/construction/media/flights to South Carolina/IOC members' kids' internships at Goldman Sachs'?

Back