News   May 10, 2024
 777     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 939     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 954     0 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

Yeah its been rio for a while. And in the past there have been olympics held in one country within ten years of eachother (cant think of any off the top of my head). The pan am games will strengthen our chances as well as the fifa under 20 event which brought bmo field into the city. Only problem is a possible african bid that could likely win since the olympics have never been held in the entire continent before! If Toronto can put in a strong waterfront focused and compact venue bid, it will definately have a great chance at winning. For the 2015 pan am games, some of the events such as rowing (st catharines), canoe + kayak (welland) and velodrome in hamilton are a little far away but St Catharines has hosted two worl championships and holds its status as one of the best rowing venues in the world as well as the largest rowing club in the world.

Just some thoughts...

Well I guess I chose downsview because of the possible subway and NFL stadium reasoning for FORD.... But if we used the old waterfront plan wed probably get the eastern DRL at least... Wed still get a NFL size stadium. And it would be in a much better location... THe only reason I have doubts we will bid something like this is because it doesnt help FORDs sheppard stubway... However it would help his NFL case and it would be cheaper to use then to start a whole new plan...

There's been a few. Another is Lake Placid 1980 and Los Angeles 1984 (which itself is only 12 years from Atlanta 1996). And at 12 years there's Montreal 1976 and Calgary 1988.

I think if Toronto bids for 2020 which i think they will, they would stand a good chance of winning it the 3rd time around.:cool:

from Wikipedia
North America
Toronto
The Canadian Olympic Committee began working on a potential bid for the 2020 or 2024 games for Toronto as of July 10, 2007.[71] This would be Toronto's third bid for the Summer Olympics, after unsuccessful bids for the 1996 and 2008 games. Toronto has not hosted an international sporting event since the city hosted the 1976 Summer Paralympics. With the success of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and Toronto's ongoing preparations to host the 2015 Pan American Games, both factors are said to strengthen their 2020 Olympic bid. Recently, there have been local and national campaigns started to increase support for a Toronto 2020 bid as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Summer_Olympics

That article is what got me interested in this topic again. I think if the bid is put into place for 2020, itd be great for the waterfront. If we wait to long, the portlands will already be developed leaving little to no room for large venues to be built on the waterfront. A new nfl size stadium would be an icon on the waterfront like the rogers centre is to the downtown core.

Anyone entertaining the idea that Toronto would bid for the 2020 summer games must be snorting something better than KoolAid.

The host city is chosen 7 years in advance; the 2020 rights will be awarded in 2013, that's 2 years from now, and there is no bid being prepared as we speak. Plus, Ford will be in office in 2013. He has amassed a bunch of plebian thinkers around himself, guys who have no interest in putting Toronto on the map. Also you must consider Ford's attitude to the 2015 PanAm games - he resents them.

Do not expect a 2020 Olympic bid from Toronto.

First of all, although the olympic bid will be chosen in 2013, cities must put forward their interest by the end of this year. Second, Ford is in favor of bringing stability to Toronto from the hole of debt its stuck in right now. by 2020 (far before), Ford will have balanced the budget and allow the olympic games to come to the city. Rather than pouring excessive amounts of money into infrastructure, he is allowing and promoting private investment to save money. I dont believe that Ford would even have absolute control over whether the olympics come to toronto or not in 2020 either.

Anyone entertaining the idea that Toronto would bid for the 2020 summer games must be snorting something better than KoolAid.

The host city is chosen 7 years in advance; the 2020 rights will be awarded in 2013, that's 2 years from now, and there is no bid being prepared as we speak. Plus, Ford will be in office in 2013. He has amassed a bunch of plebian thinkers around himself, guys who have no interest in putting Toronto on the map. Also you must consider Ford's attitude to the 2015 PanAm games - he resents them.

Hey, I think you're right. But, but, but... if you wanted some idiot to pay for an NFL stadium for you... and you preferred steamrolling over local interests rather than engaging them... and you were already floating the idea of a Waterfront Water Buffaloes (TM) NFL Team in the Hearn-Ford stadium complex and mall... wouldn't an Olympics bid be the exact right way to kill a two birds (and seven activists!) with one stone?

Hey, I think you're right. But, but, but... if you wanted some idiot to pay for an NFL stadium for you... and you preferred steamrolling over local interests rather than engaging them... and you were already floating the idea of a Waterfront Water Buffaloes (TM) NFL Team in the Hearn-Ford stadium complex and mall... wouldn't an Olympics bid be the exact right way to kill a two birds (and seven activists!) with one stone?

Cute ! And it just about sums it up. But what a horror-show scenario, wouldn't you be afraid to present T.O. to the world in such a spirit? I shudder just imagining the possibilities.

Last edited:
The only thing that map is missing that would have put Toronto over the top is a big giant X marking where the IOC could collect their unmarked bags of money.
And do you really think things would be different next time?

Yes it would, but the Fords would also need Provincial and especially Federal backing for that, and there is a constituency with some influence in Ottawa which would oppose tying an NFL stadium to an Olympics bid.

Do you know for a fact that they aren't working on such things behind the scenes? Considering they were "kicking the tires" back in 2007, who knows if some preliminary plans are already in place. Maybe it's just a matter of dusting off a couple reports.

I agree though that 2020 seems a bit far fetched at this point, but we really don't know what is going on behind the scenes at the COC.

And do you really think things would be different next time?
Simply put, yes.

Back