News   May 10, 2024
 54     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 553     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 839     1 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Perhaps no upper tier on either side, but a complete bowl? Sunken bowls look fabulous, especially with a large concourse surrounding it like this one has.

If they got rid of the upper tier stands on both sides and completed the bowl, I'm guessing they'd end up with about 21,000-23,000 which is roughly what the Tiger Cats drew last season. I'd rather see a sold out stadium than one two-thirds full. They could always design it so that upper tiers can be added over time as the fan base re-establishes itself and Hamilton's population grows.

If they got rid of the upper tier stands on both sides and completed the bowl, I'm guessing they'd end up with about 21,000-23,000 which is roughly what the Tiger Cats drew last season. I'd rather see a sold out stadium than one two-thirds full. They could always design it so that upper tiers can be added over time as the fan base re-establishes itself and Hamilton's population grows.

To be fair, the fans ARE here... the football isn't. I'm not sure how much CFL you follow, but the Ti Cats have just plain sucked the last couple seasons; Hence the low attendance. When we're good, we're usually close to sellouts (30,000 @ IWS).

Both East & West stands need upper tiers to support a CFL team. 21,000 seats is NOT enough (even Montreal's Percival Molson Stadium is being upgraded to 25,000).

The problem lies within that Track! Ugh! What they 100% must do is eliminate the endzone seating, and replace it with retractable seats that come out from under the East & West stands covering the track, bringing the fans INTO the action (as oposed to close but yet sooo far from the action).
One reason why Ivor Wynn is regarded in the CFL as one of the best stadiums to play in/watch from is due to the connection of the fans to the field.

I know most people on here look at buildings for architectural flaws, etc... but keep in mind, the slightest architectural error (ie disconnecting sports fans from a sport) in a sporting venue could severely hinder that project/franchise/sport!

ps: Does anybody in Toronto even care about this bid (or even know about it)??
I spend a lot of time in your fine City, and most people I talk to don't even know there's a bid out there!

Last edited:
To be fair, the fans ARE here... the football isn't. I'm not sure how much CFL you follow, but the Ti Cats have just plain sucked the last couple seasons; Hence the low attendance. When we're good, we're usually close to sellouts (30,000 @ IWS).

Both East & West stands need upper tiers to support a CFL team. 21,000 seats is NOT enough (even Montreal's Percival Molson Stadium is being upgraded to 25,000).

The problem lies within that Track! Ugh! What they 100% must do is eliminate the endzone seating, and replace it with retractable seats that come out from under the East & West stands covering the track, bringing the fans INTO the action (as oposed to close but yet sooo far from the action).
One reason why Ivor Wynn is regarded in the CFL as one of the best stadiums to play in/watch from is due to the connection of the fans to the field.

I know most people on here look at buildings for architectural flaws, etc... but keep in mind, the slightest architectural error (ie disconnecting sports fans from a sport) in a sporting venue could severely hinder that project/franchise/sport!

I spend a lot of time in your fine City, and most people I talk to don't even know there's a bid out there!

Many (if not most) people aren't even aware when the Pan Am Games are on. I don't believe the last PAG were televised.

I watch a lot of pro football so I was aware of the problems on the field. I was under the impression that the 30,000 fans that Hamilton drew a few years back were due to papering the stands with lots of people who paid little or nothing to get in. Once the give-aways stopped, the true attendance figure around 23,000 became apparent. Is this incorrect? If it is, it's welcome news. Regardless, Hamilton drawing 23,000 is infinitely better than Toronto drawing 29,000.

I agree with you 100% regarding placement of the end zone seats and the running track. This is a football stadium first, a track and field stadium in need of 30,000 seats may be once in its life time.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the 30,000 fans that Hamilton drew a few years back were due to papering the stands with lots of people who paid little or nothing to get in. Once the give-aways stopped, the true attendance figure around 23,000 became apparent. Is this incorrect?
No. If I'm remembering it right, they offered a three-year price freeze on season tickets. A combination of that deal expiring and the Ticats continuing to struggle on the field led to a dip in attendance.

I agree with you 100% regarding placement of the end zone seats and the running track. This is a football stadium first, a track and field stadium in need of 30,000 seats may be once in its life time.

Getting rid of the track is pretty easy. The City of Manchester Stadium (built for the 2002 Commonwealth Games, current home of Manchester City FC) was converted from a track and field facility into a soccer-specific stadium at the end of the Commonwealth Games.

City_of_Manchester_Stadium_2002.jpg

Man_City_11_569679.jpg

^ Very good, as long as David Miller doesn't plan on pulling a Lastman and mention his fear of cannibal tribes in the Amazon, boiling pots, etc. ;)

Seeing as the above situation is very unlikely to occur and seeing that a North American Pan American Games would raise the profile of the event in the english speaking world, our chances are looking very very good.

Winning and successfully hosting a PanAm Games will not only create an urgency for city renewal, sports education/training and a long list of benefits mentioned throughout this thread, it will be a step towards hosting an Olympic Games that has proved elusive despite our best efforts.

Right......give it to anyone else but us.:rolleyes:
You're right, I don't want us to break Montreal's record for how long it takes to pay off a stadium.

The only possible way to justify the expense of a summer games would if the IOC had a policy of giving a city two Olympics in a row. That way, the second time around would make a profit. The way it is now, the only group that would truly benefit would be Toronto prostitutes servicing IOC executives.

If a third bid ever gains momentum, before we make it official how about we put it to a referendum this time? I bet it would lose.

Back