News   May 31, 2024
 1.2K     9 
News   May 31, 2024
 4K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Well... I'm fairly certain Toronto has more than a great chance to win. The last two games before Toronto, I believe, have been in South America. That alone guarantees us a nod.

So, does this video mean they will get the East Bayfronts up by 2015 as well? LOL. At least, it will mean accelerated development of the West Donlands. I spoke to an agent at the Distillery sales centre and they're selling the West Donlands as being part of the magic of living down there, and they're all as positive as we are that this bid will get it all done much faster than we've all anticipated!

Well... I'm fairly certain Toronto has more than a great chance to win. The last two games before Toronto, I believe, have been in South America. That alone guarantees us a nod.

Lets hope so, we all thought that Toronto was a shoe-in for The Worlds Fair Expo '98 bid over Lisbon and you know the result.

^ Lisbon hosted one of the best World Expo's in my opinion. I've been to 3 and Lisbon's was amazing. They even got the post-Expo thing right. I visited last year and the area -- which was once a shipping yard -- is now a thriving self contained mini modern city within old Lisbon. It's spectacular the change that happened in just a decade.

I cursed for days when the Toronto 2015 Expo didn't go through because of stupid politics. It would have had world exposure comparable to an Olympics since most countries from around the world participate. Toronto, with its multi-cultural nature is a no brainer for a World Expo.

Anyway, let's see if the PanAm games can make up for that loss...

A PanAm win for Toronto will mean:
1) an accelerated pace of development of the West Don Lands
2) a guarantee that the Queens Quay project goes ahead as planned and ahead of schedule
3) a major incentive to get Ontario to fund a Downtown Relief Line. Yonge-Bloor can't handle the pressure of a major international event and a DRL would have a stop right at the Athletes village.
4) a guarantee for improved regional rail
5) raising the profile of UofT's Scarborough campus and community improvement as a result
6) a bright future for athlete development in Toronto.

I just realized I missed an obvious item from the list above. The SkyDome....uhhh...ok, I'll call it The Rogers Centre will host the opening and closing ceremonies plus some of the sporting events. This will undoubtedly result in upgrades to the facility. The SkyDome could use a facelift, specially on its south side which is a concrete behemoth. I believe Rogers had mentioned exterior enhancements such as screens. At the very least, we'll see the building freshened up and welcomed to the 21st Century. It feels like just yesterday the SkyDome was inaugurated but it's been a while and it needs to be cleaned up and put together.

In addition, having the eyes of the entire Western hemisphere on Toronto and in particular the area around the SkyDome might be an added incentive to finally rework the base of the CN Tower into a destination rather than the windswept concrete jungle that it is today.

Perhaps we'll see realized West 8's plan to link the CN Tower/SkyDome, through Roundhouse Park and to the waterfront:

Last edited:
Expansive, expensive Pan Am bid faces challenges

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/640866

Real racing for the 2015 Pan American Games starts tomorrow in Mexico City when David Peterson hands in Toronto's bid book, a stylish and entertaining blend of fact and fancy.

It says Toronto on the cover, even though much of it is about Southern Ontario, from whitewater paddling in Minden to rowing in St. Catharines, canoeing in Welland, boxing in Oshawa and volleyball and (for some reason) track and field in Hamilton.

Originally, the book was to have been turned over to the Pan American Sports Organization a month ago, but tragedy struck. The young grandson of PASO head Mario Vazquez Rana was taken by the swine flu virus and, understandably, PASO business was suspended.

Premier Dalton McGuinty gets his copy officially today, which is fitting since it's Ontario on the hook for the inevitable cost overruns.

As always, it's an impressive document; Toronto never looks better than it does in these things – and there have been a few. Considering the project's $1.4 billion (at least) price tag, and lack of finality on plans at this point, it should look good.

If the Ontario bid ranks ahead of Bogota, Colombia, and Lima, Peru, at this point, that doesn't necessarily mean it will stay there. Toronto is playing a dangerous game right now and we could go from first place to third place faster than the Blue Jays just did.

For starters, does everyone know Toronto also is bidding on the 2015 World Police and Fire Games? For two years, the city has been working quietly on obtaining this 60-sport, 10-day fiesta for more than 10,000 athletes. Technically it isn't a competing event, in that it is not ticketed and doesn't require the massive security and so on. That said, it will compete for sponsorship dollars, media coverage and volunteers (and the Pan Ams will need 25,000 of those). Plus, even bidding for them hands a crowbar to Lima and Bogota and invites them to swing away.

In reality, Toronto is one of six bidding cities and this seems to be mostly a courtesy bid, holding space for a future try at an event that is more of a tourism boost (these cops and firefighters pay their own way and don't need a village built for them.) The head of the police games organization is from Fairfax County, Va., which just happens to be bidding, along with Sydney; Winnipeg; Pretoria, South Africa; and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, according to the organization's website. Still, bidding at the same time looks dumb, to say nothing of the waste of money.

More of a problem for Toronto's Pan Am bid might be the plan's vastness. The equestrian events in Caledon, mountain biking near Barrie, field hockey in Brampton and shooting in Ajax make sense. But the two major summer games endeavours are track and field and swimming and swimming has been slated for a new facility at the University of Toronto's Scarborough campus, with track at a planned new football stadium in Hamilton. Those are 100 kilometres apart and mean long travel times from the athletes' village, to be built at the old Ataratiri site.

Why does Hamilton want a football stadium with a large running track around the field? One of the beauties of Ivor Wynne Stadium is its compact nature; fans are right on top of the field. Why lose that in a new place?

That's a local concern, obviously, one that can be rectified later. For the next six months, the focus is on PASO voters and how to impress them. They will be wooed this summer at the Caribbean games in Trinidad and Tobago in July, then at the IOC congress in Copenhagen in November, a month before the PASO vote in Guadalajara, Mexico, in November.

We're nowhere near the homestretch yet, but the time to win it – or lose it – starts now.

I always thought that when your having events outside of the city, it was because you had no alternative.

It seemed that in trying to please the 905, it could hurt Toronto bid. Hamilton is very far for a competition that could be held within toronto.

I'm not saying that I'm against the 905 getting some of the competition, but if it hurts Toronto's bid...

I don't see Hamilton or Barrie being a problem as both are serviced by GO Transit from Union station. Both Hamilton and Barrie have large enough populations that they should be able to fill the events with spectators so that shouldn't be a problem either. I think the events further out will be a little more difficult, though GO is experimenting with trains to St. Catherines this summer. Im sure it can be brought back for the games if needed.

PS. Without the 905, there wouldn't even be a Toronto bid.

If anything, venues in the 905 will only spur the increase of GO service to the outer reaches of the GTA. The GO train doesn't have the same speed or charisma as the Olympic Javelin being introduced to run from St Pancras to the Olympic Village in the northeast of London for the 2012 Olympics, but it's certainly capable, and this is a golden opportunity to prove it!

Well, If it turns out like that randering, and not the original WDL rendering, I won't mind. I quite like the two buildings with centilevered sections. Of course, that's all concept renders, but still.

From The Star:

Pan Am bid 'no slam-dunk'

May 27, 2009 06:04 PM

Comments on this story (11)

Vanessa Lu
City Hall Bureau Chief

As David Peterson jets off to Mexico City tomorrow to hand-deliver the bid book outlining Toronto's plans to host the 2015 Pan Am Games, he's warning of the danger of overconfidence.

"Our biggest enemy is smugness, assuming somehow or other that we have some God-given right to this. We don't," Peterson told reporters today after handing over a copy to Premier Dalton McGuinty.

"We need these games."

The 233-page bid book — which sets out details from venues to financing to transportation — will be formally submitted to Mario Vazquez Rana, president of the Pan American Sports Organization.

With two failed Olympic bids, Toronto is hoping for redemption when officials meet in November to pick the winning bidder for the Pan Am Games, which are held every four years and are open to athletes across the Americas and the Caribbean.

Bogota, Colombia, and Lima, Peru, are the other bidding cities and "they're improving their game," Peterson said.

"As it goes toward the end, it's getting more and more competitive. They're totally dedicated to winning and they're not fooling around."

The bid book boasts of plans to recruit 19,000 volunteers as well as athlete scholarships that would give athletes from other countries the chance to live and train in Canada, and regional coaching seminars and clinics.

Every country has a vote. But those who have hosted a previous games – and that includes Canada – get an additional one, for 52 votes in all.

"We are trying to persuade everybody of our competence, our passion, our capacity to make these games the best ever," Peterson said.

While it's called a Toronto bid, it is more of an Ontario bid, with McGuinty as its biggest champion. The venues are dotted across the Golden Horseshoe, ranging from rowing in St. Catharines to BMX racing in Barrie to shooting in Ajax and Oshawa.

With a $1.4 billion pricetag – including $500 million from Ottawa and a guarantee from Queen's Park to cover any cost overruns – the bid book calls for using a mix of existing facilities and new sports infrastructure.

Big winners are the University of Toronto's Scarborough campus, which would get a high-performance training facility and aquatics centre to host diving and swimming; and Hamilton, which would get a velodrome and a new track and field stadium that could house the CFL's Tiger-Cats down the road.

At the centre of the bid is a $1 billion athletes village in the West Don Lands, in an area that is to be turned into subsidized and market-rent housing after the games.

Jagoda Pike, the bid's chief operating officer, emphasized that almost all the venues are within a 45-minute trip from the village, and two-thirds are within 30 minutes.

The transportation plan highlights existing transit as well as planned rapid-transit lines, but added that there will be dedicated Pan Am lanes from the airport and between venues and the village. Organizers are also planning a games bike-share program for accredited individuals.

A winning bid will mean a $700 million legacy of much-needed sports facilities that will foster future generations of high-performance athletes.

McGuinty said the province wants to raise the profile of amateur sport, encouraging younger children to participate.

"We've all heard about the obesity epidemic that plagues North American kids. We've heard about the addiction of our children to sedentary life and computer games," he said.

"Just by creating a buzz leading up to the games, by hosting the games, with the coverage that will emanate from the games ... it will excite our kids," he said, "It will lead to a better performance of athletes in these games."

Mayor David Miller also touted the bid, saying Toronto's diversity makes it a perfect fit.

"Every single athlete who is here will be cheered for by (a local resident) who is from their home country," he told reporters yesterday at a city hall event. "It's an extraordinary thing. No other country has that in the world."

But I gotta say this: The comments are absolutely appalling. Do these people just lurk the Star's website, and whenever an article where their "hard-earned tax dollars" are being "wasted", they feel the need to troll. Does the Star not have moderators =/

Last edited:
But I gotta say this: The comments are absolutely appalling. Do these people just lurk the Star's website, and whenever an article where their "hard-earned tax dollars" are being "wasted", they feel the need to troll. Does the Star not have moderators =/

I've learned: I stop at the end of the article and don't read the comments. I wish there were a way to turn them off.

PS. Without the 905, there wouldn't even be a Toronto bid.

Totally!! Infact, this bid is pretty much the same bid your director (and Hamilton's 2010 Commonwealth Games bid director) Jagoda Pike submitted for those 2010 Games (which we clearly lost).

Hamilton's venues:

Pan Am Stadium (Pan Am version @ 15,000 seats)

new_stadium.jpg

Pan Am Stadium (Tiger Cats version @ 30,000 seats)

CommonwealthStadium.jpg

Pan Am Velodrome (with the practice track in the foreground)

new_velodrome.jpg

All of these venues, much like the Don Land's Athlete's Village, will be built on reclaimed brownfields at the Bayfront (aka 'West Harbour' to Torontonian Yuppies -- I love that Toronto Real Estate Agents thinks they have the right to rename a whole neighbourhood just for marketting purposes! HA!)

Copps/Balsillie Coliseum will be used for court volleyball, and McMaster University will house a new 50m practice pool.

But the best part of this for Hamilton? The speed-up of Rapid Transit innitiatives including our A & B-Line LRT routes... oh ya, and direct connection to Toronto Union Stn by way of an electrified (all-day) GO Train Service directly to the venues!

EDIT: Added a quick google map sketch of the Downtown Hamilton area and it's venues/public transit:
CLICK ME
(click on lines, blocks, or stations for more info on them)

Last edited:

Back