News   May 10, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

If Toronto bids for another Olympics, the experience they've gained from being hosts of the Pan Ams will only benefit them. Plus we would get the extra needed infrastructure that our 2008 bid somewhat lacked. I only see benefits from hosting this. Rio de Janeiro just recently hosted the 2007 Pan Ams and they currently are one of the favourites to win their bid for the 2016 Olympics.

There is no experience gained with the Pan Ams though if the bulk of the events are held outside Toronto and no new facilities are created useful to an Olympic bid. The IOC likes a compact games, this will show the IOC we can spread out the Olympics over a wide area, handle the very few people that show up, and use the same facilities that the Blue Jays, Raptors, and Toronto FC currently do. I don't think that is very impressive.

At least we'll be able to show that these facilities can be used for International level sporting events. On top of it, we'll get some upgrades to the facilities, and hopefully some investment in our summer sport athletes so one day we might actually be able to beat Cuba. Plus, the fact it's spread across the horseshoe might finally be a push for upgraded transportation links (ie. decent GO/Ontario VIA) which I don't think anyone would say is a bad thing.

There is nothing wrong with Toronto hosting it. What I am saying is holding off on an Expo bid for it makes no sense. The two events aren't even comparable in terms of legacy and experience. The cost of a Pan Am games would be almost negligible when spread over such a large area and existing facilities. Winnipeg has held the Pan Am games twice... how many in Toronto remember? How many expensive facilities does Winnipeg have? More people remember the Victoria Commonwealth Games or even the London Ontario Canada Games. Maybe we should postpone our Olympic 2024 or 2028 aspirations for a shot at the 2023 Canada Games.

It's funny cause after the orgy of excess and politics and bitterness that will be the Beijing games the IOC would be creaming themselves for a nice little competent city like Toronto in boring and inoffensive Canada to host the Olympics. Honestly I hope we don't take this bait for decades to come. I would really rather like to see more international calibre events hosted in Toronto that focus on individual sports and improve the level of local facilities and training centres specific to those sports rather than an overaching general event like the Olympics or even Pan Am games. Let's build up international level facilities in aquatics, track and field, etc. for ourselves and for our athletes and become a must stop destination in North America and then the world for said events.

Well I've just been informed by someone who is indeed close within the government and the bidding circle for this Pan Ams bid. The majority of the events will indeed be taking place in Toronto.

We also may get a big crown jewel out of this bid too. Let's just keep it at that for now!!:D

I made this post a while back. I guess I'll share the information I have on the bid.

This is the working tentative venue plan there will likely be some changes and modifications to it when the official plan is announced. There could be some more new venue construction.

Toronto Venues
Air Canada Centre – Basketball
Ashbridges Bay – Beach Volleyball
*BMO Field – Soccer, Modern Pentathlon
Convention Centre – Fencing, Judo
Direct Energy Centre – Badminton, Taekwondo, Table Tennis
Molson Amphitheatre – Weightlifting
Ontario Place – Triathlon
*Rexall Centre @ York University – Tennis
*Ricoh Coliseum – Gymnastics, Rhythmic Gymnastics
*Rogers Centre – Baseball, Softball (Opening/Closing Ceremonies if new Stadium doesn't get built)
Toronto Harbour – Sailing
*Varsity Field – Soccer, (Athletics - Only if the Stadium doesn't get built)
*Western Beaches Race Course – Canoe, Rowing
York University – Soccer

*New or Upgraded since 2008 Bid

New Venues To Be Built
Velodrome – Cycling, Wrestling
80,000 seat Stadium - Opening/Closing Ceremonies, Athletics

The cheap plan would have the Rogers Centre host the Ceremonies and an upgraded Varsity stadium used for Athletics.

The expensive plan is to partner up with the NFL/Bills/Province to build a new waterfront stadium that would host the Ceremonies and Athletics. It will be the permanent home to the Toronto Bills of the NFL. This plan is only viable if the Bills do relocate to Toronto which looks pretty much set in stone at this time.

GTA Venues
Hershey Centre (Mississauga) – Volleyball, Field Hockey, Archery
Powerade Centre (Brampton) – Handball
Equestrian Centre (Caledon) – Equestrian
Ivor Wynne Stadium (Hamilton) – Soccer
Copps Coliseum (Hamilton) – Boxing
Hamilton Road Race Course (Hamilton) - Cycling
Twelve Mile Creek (St. Catherines) – Canoe
Skeet and Gun Club (Oshawa) - Shooting

New Venues To Be Built
Aquatics Centre (Markham) – Swimming, Diving, Synchronized Swimming, Water Polo
30,000 seat Stadium (Hamilton) - Soccer, Rugby

I don't think it is likely the Bills will decide to move to Toronto any time soon... certainly not in time for a Pan Am bid. If we could somehow ger the Aquatics Centre rather than a 80,000 seat stadium I don't see happening that would be a good deal.

Maybe the best idea: a permanent 20,000 - 30,000 seat stadium that can be expanded to 80,000 temporarily for major events. (ie, surrounding land is a plaza or park most of the time).

^ The stadium might be designed to look good when it seats 20,000-30,000, but I can't really see how it would look attractive during the major events that will require the extra 50,000 temporary seating to be built around the stadium.

Any examples of a stadium like this in the world?

I don't think it is likely the Bills will decide to move to Toronto any time soon... certainly not in time for a Pan Am bid. If we could somehow ger the Aquatics Centre rather than a 80,000 seat stadium I don't see happening that would be a good deal.

Well when their lease is up for their stadium in Buffalo, they'll move. The owner said he would sell the team to the highest bidder upon his death and believe me that Ted Rogers and company will pay anything to get that team to move to Toronto. With Buffalo playing pre-season and regular season games up in Toronto now, it's only a matter of time they'll move here. We will need a 80,000 seat stadium for this NFL team. It would sell out no problem for the limited home games. Why not get it via hosting an International event such as a Pan Am Games? The stadium could definitely be financially supported by NFL tenants.

One thing that Canada really lacks is world class stadia.

My contact within the gov't wouldn't lie to me. This proposed stadium is in the works and hasn't been announced yet because they don't want to scare off the public due to high costs.

Well when their lease is up for their stadium in Buffalo, they'll move. The owner said he would sell the team to the highest bidder upon his death and believe me that Ted Rogers and company will pay anything to get that team to move to Toronto.

So the whole Pan Am Games plan hinges on a guy croaking in time?

Why not get it via hosting an International event such as a Pan Am Games? The stadium could definitely be financially supported by NFL tenants.

So 8 games of NFL can make a 80,000 seat stadium profitable but the multitude of Blue Jays games, Argos games, concerts, and other events didn't make a 50,000 seat stadium profitable?

One thing that Canada really lacks is world class stadia.

I'm sure they thought Olympic Stadium and maybe even Commonwealth Stadium was world class stadiums when they built them. It would be nice for Toronto to have a stadium capable of handling the IAAF World Championships, Pan Am Games, NFL, etc though.

This proposed stadium is in the works and hasn't been announced yet because they don't want to scare off the public due to high costs.

They are going to have to tell the public at some point. Somebody is going to notice a stadium being built :)

I seriously hope that if they build a 80,000 seat stadium they are smart about it and put it in the Portlands complete with a Cherry St GO station and Waterfront streetcars or on the site of the big warehouse in Downsview Park complete with the Spadina subway extension and a GO station.

I have a hard time seeing how an NFL stadium and combined Pan Am Games stadium can work for both parties. The Pan Am Games don't need 80,000 seats or the stadium will look empty and no NFL team wants a permanent running track moving the fans in the premium boxes farther from the action.

Back