News   Apr 25, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Indeed. I can't help but laugh at the NYT pre-games piece on how Toronto lacks enthusiasm - who's laughing now, especially with Boston fresh in their minds?

AoD

Well to be fair, everything that was popular about the Pan-Am Games had nothing to do with any of the sports themselves. The Opening and Closing ceremonies where the most popular venue (televised and tickets sold), and the Panamania venues are what people bring up the most when talking about how great the Pan-Am games where.

In the end, we did lack enthusiasm of the Pan-Am Games, what we had enthusiasm for was for all the events that surrounded the Pan-Am Games.

Well to be fair, everything that was popular about the Pan-Am Games had nothing to do with any of the sports themselves. The Opening and Closing ceremonies where the most popular venue (televised and tickets sold), and the Panamania venues are what people bring up the most when talking about how great the Pan-Am games where.
In the end, we did lack enthusiasm of the Pan-Am Games, what we had enthusiasm for was for all the events that surrounded the Pan-Am Games.

I have to disagree with that - the excitement for the events around the games doesn't sell the majority of the tickets - the competitions themselves does - from a UT/urban perspective obviously we pay more attention to Panamania than the sports proper but I don't think that's the attitude of the ticketholders.

AoD

I have to disagree with that - the excitement for the events around the games doesn't sell the majority of the tickets - the competitions themselves does - from a UT/urban perspective obviously we pay more attention to Panamania than the sports proper but I don't think that's the attitude of the ticketholders.

AoD

The 1.3/1.4/1.5 million tickets available (and sold) also included the Opening and Closing ceremonies, most of the events had modest to low turnout and the television ratings where even worse outside the Opening Ceremonies (Closing ceremony ratings aren't available yet).

The quoted figure is 1.0 over 1.2 available (the 1.5 includes parapan, I think). Apparently that's above previous Pan Ams.

AoD

I've seen so many articles quote different total number of tickets for the Pan-Am Games (not mentioning the Para Pan Am's) I thought I play it safe and put them all in. But I do know that the total number did decrees to reflect the total amount of tickets available to the general public; they exclude tickets that where reserved for summer camp children and neighbouring cities and towns to raffle off as prizes.

In the end, it doesn't matter if the seats where filled or not, it's how many eyes where watching online and on television that will determine if we get the Olympic bid or not.

I've seen so many articles quote different total number of tickets for the Pan-Am Games (not mentioning the Para Pan Am's) I thought I play it safe and put them all in. But I do know that the total number did decrees to reflect the total amount of tickets available to the general public; they exclude tickets that where reserved for summer camp children and neighbouring cities and towns to raffle off as prizes.

In the end, it doesn't matter if the seats where filled or not, it's how many eyes where watching online and on television that will determine if we get the Olympic bid or not.

Where have you seen different numbers quoted? Every news source I have seen to date has quoted the exact same numbers. From watching a lot of footage, I didn't see venues loaded with summer camp kids, so I doubt they made up a big portion of the ticket sales. From what I know, the blocks reserved for summer camps were last minute tickets intended as an emergency measure to fill venues. The plan didn't work out, as summer camps are planned months in advance, and couldn't work around last minute plans. Hence why some venues were still pretty empty.

If you had actually gone to any of the events, you would have seen that people were there for the sport. The fans were among the most intense fans I have ever seen here in the GTA. Definitely beats the atmosphere seen at Leaf games, or even Jays games. My sister even said the cheering for rhythmic gymnastics was intense, and that isn't even a major sport here.

Where have you seen different numbers quoted? Every news source I have seen to date has quoted the exact same numbers. From watching a lot of footage, I didn't see venues loaded with summer camp kids, so I doubt they made up a big portion of the ticket sales. From what I know, the blocks reserved for summer camps were last minute tickets intended as an emergency measure to fill venues. The plan didn't work out, as summer camps are planned months in advance, and couldn't work around last minute plans.
What I saw was tons and tons of empty seats. Even the soccer final had entire empty sections. This would imply that a large number of tickets were "purchased" by sponsors and not used, and/or they scaled down the number of available seats in order to goose their sold %. Compare that to the Sydney Olympics where every seat was always sold and filled, and the marathon route was lined with spectators for the entire 42km.

What I saw was tons and tons of empty seats. Even the soccer final had entire empty sections. This would imply that a large number of tickets were "purchased" by sponsors and not used, and/or they scaled down the number of available seats in order to goose their sold %. Compare that to the Sydney Olympics where every seat was always sold and filled, and the marathon route was lined with spectators for the entire 42km.

They did scale down a number of the tickets sold, but those were factored into the total available. Some events like soccer preliminaries were never expected to be sellouts. Some events at BMO didn't even use the new stand that was built. Don't forget that some of these stadiums were simply borrowed for the games. Their size has nothing to do with the number of tickets available for each event. In many cases, especially with soccer, they were playing in a much bigger stadium than needed.

Keep in mind that even the Women's World Cup had preliminaries played in smaller stadiums than some of the Pan Am prelims, and organizers still struggled to fill venues. (Ie. Moncton)

I watched a Karate tournament with a friend and the venue was pretty full. I arrived almost 30 minutes early and was lucky to have found two available seats side by side with a decent view. This was on a Friday evening so I would imagine that the final Saturday matches were even more popular, and probably sold out. I can't speak to the success of any of the other Pan Am sports, but I just thought I'd share my personal experience.

IMG_8385.JPG
IMG_8387.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8385.JPG
    IMG_8385.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,063
  • IMG_8387.JPG
    IMG_8387.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 981
Where have you seen different numbers quoted? Every news source I have seen to date has quoted the exact same numbers. From watching a lot of footage, I didn't see venues loaded with summer camp kids, so I doubt they made up a big portion of the ticket sales. From what I know, the blocks reserved for summer camps were last minute tickets intended as an emergency measure to fill venues. The plan didn't work out, as summer camps are planned months in advance, and couldn't work around last minute plans. Hence why some venues were still pretty empty.

Here is a sample, some are clear that the number is reflected on "the number of tickets on sale", so the confusion might be how many they took off sale for summer camps or to boost up the numbers of success.

What's so hard to understand?

1.4 million tickets were available.

Of the 1.4 million:

- 1.2 million tickets were available for Pan Am events
- 200,000 tickets were available for Para Pan Am events

Demand was high for many events, so organizers issued another 100,000 tickets.

This would bring the total to 1.5 million tickets, total, available.

It all adds up.

What's so hard to understand?

1.4 million tickets were available.

Of the 1.4 million:

- 1.2 million tickets were available for Pan Am events
- 200,000 tickets were available for Para Pan Am events

Demand was high for many events, so organizers issued another 100,000 tickets.

This would bring the total to 1.5 million tickets, total, available.

It all adds up.

'“Part of our challenge is to get a balanced message out.” Organizers say they have sold just 600,000 tickets, less than half the 1.5-million tickets on sale.' - National Post (July 3, 2015)

They didn't need to issue more tickets, if they issued 100,000 more tickets wouldn't it be 1.6 million tickets (including the Para Pan Ams) not 1.5 million?

Back