News   Apr 30, 2024
 228     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I don't get that. The whole idea behind being able to have a gun in the US is for self-defense and everyone seems to believe that if someone comes on your property and you feel threatened you are allowed to defend yourself. If that is not the case what the hell are Americans thinking? A burglar's family who gets shot on someones property could sue for a life of lost family income?
Many people misinterprete US law of 'right to self-defense' as a 'right to over reaction'. The term that crops up is 'appropriate force', meaning if they have a weapon, you may use a weapon to defend yourself (but not a gun to defend against a knife). Similarly for those with sufficent martial arts training, their hands and feet are considered registered weapons.

I agree that, since there is now more standing space, there should be more poles or places for people to hang on to. A vertical pole in the middle won't do, as the open concept allows people to walk end to end and the vertical pole in the middle of the train blocks movement. I wonder if they considered a 'double' pole. For example, instead of a single pole suspended from the ceiling in the middle of the train, why not have 2 poles a foot apart? Or where there is a vertical pole attached to the seats, why not have it divide into 2 vertical poles 6 inches apart?
I believe the central area was kept clear for wheelchair, strollers, etc. access. Most accessiblity standards now want a 1600mm wide passages. Maybe they could have some arches that go from seat end to seat end on the opposite side of the train.

Impressive, but couldn't the money be saved and used to extend the network.
The total contract value is $1031m including 21 trainsets to replace the H6 fleet and 10 to service the Spadina expansion. Any network expansion needs extra vehicles to service it, or else you will have lower service levels on the remainder of the system. With the current focus on subway building, you could extend Sheppard to Vic Park for the money, but that's about it.

NYC cars are at least 25+ years old, but one of the most comprehensive.

I think most commuters would rather ride in the old carts and have a more extensive coverage.
NYC has 6292 cars on their roster. Of 2769 "Division A' cars, 824 were purchased between 1983 and 1987; 1630 bought between 1999 and 2004. Of 3623 "Division B" cars, 270 from 1964 to 1970; 815 from 1971 to 1978; 625 from 1986 to 1989; 1913 from 2001 to 2010.

Only 30% of NYC cars are 25+ years old. Half of NYC's fleet was bought in the last 10 years, and they had a 10 year gap where funding kept new purchaces to a minimum. By the time the TR arrive, they will be replacing cars that are 25+ years old.

Second Trainset

I can confirm that a second trainset is on the YUS as of August 5th. I rode the 5411-5416 southbound at Davisville around 6pm and saw another Toronto Rocket trainset heading north.

Finally got the chance to ride one today from Union to Sheppard. I was actually rather impressed by it, tbqh...and that's pretty much all I can say...

I can confirm that a second trainset is on the YUS as of August 5th. I rode the 5411-5416 southbound at Davisville around 6pm and saw another Toronto Rocket trainset heading north.
Was it in service - or just training.

Since the first day (when I took a brief ride), I have not seen (let alone ridden) one of the new Rockets despite riding the subway 5 days week. Where is that thing lurking?

My roommate has been saying the same thing, he's aching to ride the new trains. He has a double chance twice a day, five days a week as he rides from Wellesley to Bloor, Bloor to St. George and then on up to Yorkdale. He has seen it once, on the opposite side of the platform, but not ridden it yet.

My roommate has been saying the same thing, he's aching to ride the new trains. He has a double chance twice a day, five days a week as he rides from Wellesley to Bloor, Bloor to St. George and then on up to Yorkdale. He has seen it once, on the opposite side of the platform, but not ridden it yet.

I must be lucky then. I've caught a Rocket twice without trying. If your roommate is so keen on riding one, tell him to Tweet the the TTC (if he has Twitter) and they'll tell you its location based on major stations. They've been doing that since it launched.

Still haven't had the chance to ride one...I have work every Monday ~ Wednesday and I get on/off at Finch/Sheppard and I have yet to see one pass through there U_U

Saw two TR cars on Hwy 48!

Sitting here at my computer, I just pulled off my headphones, turned, and looked out the window... just in time to see two eighteen-wheelers bearing individual Toronto Rocket cars pass by the end of the driveway. :eek: They were heading "south" on Highway 48 towards the town of Sutton (near Lake Simcoe) and the curve that takes the highway towards Markham.

When I got over my surprise, I logged on here to post this, so it was about five minutes ago. But... they're trucking the new subway cars from the manufacturing plant? And, if so, is going east of Lake Simcoe the quickest road route to Toronto from Thunder Bay? Or is something else going on?

Sitting here at my computer, I just pulled off my headphones, turned, and looked out the window... just in time to see two eighteen-wheelers bearing individual Toronto Rocket cars pass by the end of the driveway. :eek: They were heading "south" on Highway 48 towards the town of Sutton (near Lake Simcoe) and the curve that takes the highway towards Markham.

When I got over my surprise, I logged on here to post this, so it was about five minutes ago. But... they're trucking the new subway cars from the manufacturing plant? And, if so, is going east of Lake Simcoe the quickest road route to Toronto from Thunder Bay? Or is something else going on?
Is it possible that they are being transported by rail down to Washago and then trucked?

The TTC uses a non-standard gauge for it's rails (both LRT and HRT). As such, they can't fix on anything outside Toronto without been retooled, which is more expensive than trucking them.

Back